hamtaro

Still horribly worried - in USA, not got SSN, not got welcome letter

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I came into Washington DC and the immigration official was chewing gum and looked like he was fed up of doing his job. Glanced at my file, then stapled it and threw away my I-94 form I filled in on the plane (the white one.) I then went into another room where they again just glanced at my stuff. They told me nothing. They told the person in front they would have their green card sent to the address they gave, but they told ME nothing. I was so keen to get out of there I didn't ask. Whole immigration process including queue took less than 20 minutes? My passport is stamped but that's all I saw them do. They were extremely disinterested and I'm worried they overlooked something and that they should not have thrown away the I-94. All they said to me is to confirm I knew my entry was conditional and I had to re-apply in 2 years. They took my file, as is normal I know but I've since heard precisely nothing. Been checking the mail every day and I don't know what to think. I checked the box asking for SSN but when do I get it? I've been here 2 weeks. I really want to work, neither me nor my husband have ANY income at all! I'm scared even of restarting my importing business in USA, I have no SSN. I'm going stir crazy as I am a bona-fide workaholic. What now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are worried about the wrong things:

1) The stamp in your passport is your temporary green card--you don't need the I-94 for anything--now or ever again.

2) Who cares if the CBP agent wasn't friendly and forthcoming--you are here--legally !!

3) Go to the nearest social security office tomorrow and you will walk out with your SS#, and you can start work immediately, or restart your business.

Life is easy--smile and enjoy it

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I came into Washington DC and the immigration official was chewing gum and looked like he was fed up of doing his job. Glanced at my file, then stapled it and threw away my I-94 form I filled in on the plane (the white one.) I then went into another room where they again just glanced at my stuff. They told me nothing. They told the person in front they would have their green card sent to the address they gave, but they told ME nothing. I was so keen to get out of there I didn't ask. Whole immigration process including queue took less than 20 minutes? My passport is stamped but that's all I saw them do. They were extremely disinterested and I'm worried they overlooked something and that they should not have thrown away the I-94. All they said to me is to confirm I knew my entry was conditional and I had to re-apply in 2 years. They took my file, as is normal I know but I've since heard precisely nothing. Been checking the mail every day and I don't know what to think. I checked the box asking for SSN but when do I get it? I've been here 2 weeks. I really want to work, neither me nor my husband have ANY income at all! I'm scared even of restarting my importing business in USA, I have no SSN. I'm going stir crazy as I am a bona-fide workaholic. What now?

If your DS230 was properly filled out with regard to Social Security Card, it will come within a month. Usually the green card does to but you have a stamp in your passport that is a temporary green card for a year. I-94 forms are never needed by permanent residents of the USA, conditional or otherwise. On what date did you arrive?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline

Excellent advice.

Understand that the I-94 is for people who are temporarily in the US. It is stapled into the passport and shows how long the foreigner is allowed to stay. Since you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States, the I-94 is not applicable to you.

Immigration and all the paperwork and administrative processes surrounding it can be nerve-wrecking.

Welcome to America!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I-94s are never accepted at CBP from holders of IR-1 or CR-1 visas. You did the wrong thing, it was OK for the CBP goon to tear up year I-94. I-94s are for non-immigrant visa holders - yer an immigrant visa holder, un necessary for this form.

---

As you went through the POE, you got a stamp in yer passport - this stamp is called the I-551 stamp, it serves as temporary green card.

---

ticking the box on the DS-230 is useless, half the time (or more) the card generation request to SSA never arrives to SSA

---

Usually after 2 weeks, can go to SSA office with passport, file out application, get SSN. There are specific things to do at SSA office to guarantee success (SSA employees are more brain dead, alas) so use advanced search tool here, with 'SSA SSN SAVE' as search terms (click on 'show as posts)

---

Green card arrive in the mail within 45 days of POE date. If you not have it, don't sweat it, something was wrong with POE, you'll have to go to secondary inspection / deferred inspection CBP office, face to face, get it fixed.

---

Please fill out yer timeline so we can give you timely advice. TIA !

---

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

are you going into SSA office for Monday morning, or no ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

any news from SSA office visit ?

• 1 year later...
Timeline

i know it's been a while, but with all the prior drama, I'm confused as to why she not post back any results of getting the green card, the ssn card, or even to fill out her timeline.

sheesh.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If you accepted PMs, I'd tell you, Brother D. At any rate, the OP hasn't logged on to VJ since January 2012, and I've recommended this and her other thread for closure.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** closing zombie thread. Should OP wish to update (unlikely), we will happily re-open ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.