b0nd

Bank Statement not accepted at Interview

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I had filed I-130 for my parents and they had an interview on Thursday. For I-864 (Affidavit of support) I did not meet the Income Requirements so I used my Checking and Saving account statements to make up for it. NVC kept on processing the application but at the time of interview the local embassy did not accept the latest return, although they did not explicitly mention anything about it. They simply handed my parents Refusal worksheet stating that I needed to get a Joint sponsor. My Checking account balance was more than twice required to make up the deficiency in the tax return. Can someone please advise what should be done in such a case? I tried to look up online but couldn't find anything reliable. Some posters on various sites advised using an original letter from the bank showing my average balance for one year.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I had filed I-130 for my parents and they had an interview on Thursday. For I-864 (Affidavit of support) I did not meet the Income Requirements so I used my Checking and Saving account statements to make up for it. NVC kept on processing the application but at the time of interview the local embassy did not accept the latest return, although they did not explicitly mention anything about it. They simply handed my parents Refusal worksheet stating that I needed to get a Joint sponsor. My Checking account balance was more than twice required to make up the deficiency in the tax return. Can someone please advise what should be done in such a case? I tried to look up online but couldn't find anything reliable. Some posters on various sites advised using an original letter from the bank showing my average balance for one year.

Wow... I thought it was just us... we were above poverty for the 5 i included but they wanted to take my 18 yr old son (who doesnt live with me AND i dont' claim on taxes) and add him to our i 864.... but my husband talked to the co at length and he said for us to submit proof he doesnt live with me, i dont pay any support to him and i dont claim him on taxes....easily done since i waived my rights 2 yr ago to claim him on taxes and he lives with his father...we had an attorney write a clear statement per the guidelines saying that if he is under 21 un married and i dont claim him and he doesnt live with me we can exclude him. I just pray they let us know sooooooon about my husbands visa...he is in ap which is mandatory but we can live with that...

sorry your dealing with this as well... frustrating when we know all our documents are in order and appropriate and acceptable...but i guess like they all say ultimately its up to the consulate.. :(

You can try the letter for the average...I work in a bank and just did one for a man from another country applying for his parents tourist visa...I showed each deposit made per year and totaled his entire year...but he said that's what he wanted...

Keeping you guys in our prayers!!!

Edited by EAbbas

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Wow... I thought it was just us... we were above poverty for the 5 i included but they wanted to take my 18 yr old son (who doesnt live with me AND i dont' claim on taxes) and add him to our i 864.... but my husband talked to the co at length and he said for us to submit proof he doesnt live with me, i dont pay any support to him and i dont claim him on taxes....easily done since i waived my rights 2 yr ago to claim him on taxes and he lives with his father...we had an attorney write a clear statement per the guidelines saying that if he is under 21 un married and i dont claim him and he doesnt live with me we can exclude him. I just pray they let us know sooooooon about my husbands visa...he is in ap which is mandatory but we can live with that...

sorry your dealing with this as well... frustrating when we know all our documents are in order and appropriate and acceptable...but i guess like they all say ultimately its up to the consulate.. :(

You can try the letter for the average...I work in a bank and just did one for a man from another country applying for his parents tourist visa...I showed each deposit made per year and totaled his entire year...but he said that's what he wanted...

Keeping you guys in our prayers!!!

It says in the I-864 instructions that regardless of where they live, dependent children under 21 count in your household size. Dependent doesn't mean you claim them on your taxes. The "tax" part counts when the child is older than 21 and counted on your taxes as a dependent.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11185/0-0-0-16864/0-0-0-16875.html They might let you slide but just FYI - the child IS part of the household size based on what you posted.

Timeline

When you say "twice the amount" what exactly do you mean? For instance, if the requirement was $20K and you only earned $15K the deficit is $5K. If you were sponsoring your spouse you would need THREE times the deficit amount (so $15K) in assets to qualify. As you are sponsoring your parents you need FIVE times the deficit in assets in order to qualify so you would need $25K in your bank account/assets.

SO, are you saying based on the example you have only $10K in assets? (being two times the deficit amount) Or are you saying you have $50K? (two times the 5 times difference amount).

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

It says in the I-864 instructions that regardless of where they live, dependent children under 21 count in your household size. Dependent doesn't mean you claim them on your taxes. The "tax" part counts when the child is older than 21 and counted on your taxes as a dependent.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11185/0-0-0-16864/0-0-0-16875.html They might let you slide but just FYI - the child IS part of the household size based on what you posted.

post-92524-0-44683800-1309052582_thumb.jpg

i864 instructions

Page 7 at the top left....no i don't if they are unmarried under 21 not claimed on taxes and do not live in household..and have reached majority in their domicile...for NC that's 18. NC is where I live....

Edited by EAbbas

USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
NVC JOURNEY
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Timeline
i864 instructions

Page 7 at the top left....no i don't if they are unmarried under 21 not claimed on taxes and do not live in household..and have reached majority in their domicile...for NC that's 18. NC is where I live....

That would be why I posted the link that explained the definition... because IO's go by that, but they might not know the state "majority age". Easily fixed then by showing them that... that said... 21 is just ridiculous. Adult is 18. It's weird to me that anywhere would consider you a minor when you're older than 18... very odd. Turns out Iowa is 18 too.. excellent. Found here: http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/a/agemajoristate.htm (for those interested)

Timeline

That would be why I posted the link that explained the definition... because IO's go by that, but they might not know the state "majority age". Easily fixed then by showing them that... that said... 21 is just ridiculous. Adult is 18. It's weird to me that anywhere would consider you a minor when you're older than 18... very odd. Turns out Iowa is 18 too.. excellent. Found here: http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/a/agemajoristate.htm (for those interested)

yeah We figured they must not know the majority age either bcos once addy said but hes 18 and considered adult now...thats when he said send something and i pray your right once those get in and reviewed they will be ok... (attorney also quoted their instructions in the letter) the ap is going to be stressful enough without the other....

USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
NVC JOURNEY
EMBASSY JOURNEY

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Timeline

LOL most of them except four go by 18...three of them are 19 but omg mississippi is 21?? WOW!!!

Edited by EAbbas

USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
NVC JOURNEY
EMBASSY JOURNEY

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Of course I am aware of the 5x rule. What I meant was that my checking account balance is double the 5x amount required. To be more clear I have $6k less than the required amount and have $60k in the bank.

So my originial questions stands, has someone sponsored their relatives based on their bank statement? I am also looking for the correct way to present the bank statement as alternate means of meeting Affidavit of support income requirements. I do not have a house, bonds, stock or a joint sponsor so I am only left with the choice of showing my bank account balance. On a side note I haven't touched that money for over 2 years but I want to know the correct way to present my case.

I am also doubting if the IO in the local embassy even looked at the bank statement or did her calculations based on it because she never mentioned if to my parents. She told them I had $6k less which is from my 2010 tax return. The statement was a print out from Online Account Activity page for the past one year.

When you say "twice the amount" what exactly do you mean? For instance, if the requirement was $20K and you only earned $15K the deficit is $5K. If you were sponsoring your spouse you would need THREE times the deficit amount (so $15K) in assets to qualify. As you are sponsoring your parents you need FIVE times the deficit in assets in order to qualify so you would need $25K in your bank account/assets.

SO, are you saying based on the example you have only $10K in assets? (being two times the deficit amount) Or are you saying you have $50K? (two times the 5 times difference amount).

Timeline

Of course I am aware of the 5x rule. What I meant was that my checking account balance is double the 5x amount required. To be more clear I have $6k less than the required amount and have $60k in the bank.

So my originial questions stands, has someone sponsored their relatives based on their bank statement? I am also looking for the correct way to present the bank statement as alternate means of meeting Affidavit of support income requirements. I do not have a house, bonds, stock or a joint sponsor so I am only left with the choice of showing my bank account balance. On a side note I haven't touched that money for over 2 years but I want to know the correct way to present my case.

I am also doubting if the IO in the local embassy even looked at the bank statement or did her calculations based on it because she never mentioned if to my parents. She told them I had $6k less which is from my 2010 tax return. The statement was a print out from Online Account Activity page for the past one year.

I think that the problem maybe that if it's 5x the amount for the parents its also Per person....so that calculation since you fall short 6k would be 60k ....? and if it's that close to the cut off that may be why they asked for joint sponsor.

Actually you can call your bank and ask them to write a letter stating that you opened your account on x date and have timely and consistent deposits... $$ every x date... include each balance per checking and savings and then have them give the average of 6 months per account...

They don't need to have it notarized since they are the ones writing it. I would also include a cover letter explaining what your sending and bank statements reflecting the information the bank gives. And if there are any assets at all you can think of use them but by the sounds of it there isnt...

USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
NVC JOURNEY
EMBASSY JOURNEY

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

How many bank statements did you submit? When evaluating a cash amount the CO needs to see a trail that shows the money in your possession for period of time ( typically 6 months to a year ). This is to help them feel that the cash is truly yours and not simply a loan from another source that was placed into the account for purposes of satisfying the affidavit of support.

If you only supplied a recent bank statement then I would suggest submitting additional statements that would support your claim.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

How many bank statements did you submit? When evaluating a cash amount the CO needs to see a trail that shows the money in your possession for period of time ( typically 6 months to a year ). This is to help them feel that the cash is truly yours and not simply a loan from another source that was placed into the account for purposes of satisfying the affidavit of support.

If you only supplied a recent bank statement then I would suggest submitting additional statements that would support your claim.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

OOps,

1. Google the Embassy and see if you can figure out who is the Chief Consular at that Embassy. Play around with the email conventions and see if you cannot get an email to him/her asking for a look into your case.

2. If this gets no response try calling the DOS IG telephone number. They will give you the country specific person who you can tell your story to over the phone, tell them you are very confused and you think this is a mistake and ask if they can make a call on your behalf or put you in contact with someone who can sort this for you.

3. Finally, did your I864 actually use assets when you originally filed it at the NVC using the same documents? If not then it might have to be redone properly, you cannot just supplement the I864 at the last minute with copies of bank statements if the contract did not mention them in the first place. Again as said earlier even if the money has been sitting untouched for 2 years, they might question the source of the cash if it doesn't match up with your last few years of tax returns.

OOps,

1. Google the Embassy and see if you can figure out who is the Chief Consular at that Embassy. Play around with the email conventions and see if you cannot get an email to him/her asking for a look into your case.

2. If this gets no response try calling the DOS IG telephone number. They will give you the country specific person who you can tell your story to over the phone, tell them you are very confused and you think this is a mistake and ask if they can make a call on your behalf or put you in contact with someone who can sort this for you.

3. Finally, did your I864 actually use assets when you originally filed it at the NVC using the same documents? If not then it might have to be redone properly, you cannot just supplement the I864 at the last minute with copies of bank statements if the contract did not mention them in the first place. Again as said earlier even if the money has been sitting untouched for 2 years, they might question the source of the cash if it doesn't match up with your last few years of tax returns.

hmmmm im intrigue what if you meet the income requirements and dont have much money in the bank is theres a big chance that the IO will deny your parents during the interview?

Parents Journey

06/02/11 - I-130 sent

06/10/11 - check cashed

06/13/11 - NOA1 recieved(priority date 6/06/11)

09/22/11 -PETITION APPROVED(TNX GOD)

----------NVC-------------

10/18/11 -Case number assigned both Parents

10/19/11-Got IIN and emailed DS-3032

10/20/11-Pay AOS and IV

10/22/11 -AOS&IV Showed PAID

11/04/11 -Send I-864 and DS-230

11/10/11 -Recieved email from nvc case complete and got parents interview date-DEC 28,2011

11/21/11 -St lukes medical

11/22/11 -Dad medical complete(pass)

-Mom medical complete(pass) THANK YOU GOD

12/28/11 -INTERVIEW

01/05/12 -Visa recieved

03/02/12 -Mom and Dad arrival detroit michigan(EXCITED)

Timeline

hmmmm im intrigue what if you meet the income requirements and dont have much money in the bank is theres a big chance that the IO will deny your parents during the interview?

As long as he makes the minimum requirements he's fine...he wouldnt have to have anything shown for savings/assets

if he doesnt meet the income requirements he needs to show he has the 5x the missing amount in assets...per person.

If he can't do either he needs joint sponsor...

USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
NVC JOURNEY
EMBASSY JOURNEY

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.