you&meWE

K-1 INITIAL Beginning Stages

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Recently engaged, but together for 3 1/2 years, Scott and I have decided to go ahead and file for the K-1 Visa and I am anxious to get the process going....

I've spent the majority of my afternoon printing off several copies of documents and paperwork we need to fill out.

Currently I'm in Atlanta and he's in London and was hoping/wondering if there would be ANYONE at all who would be willing to help me walk through the process of the paperwork/filing/fees step by step??

I've read the guides over and over but I think I am having a hard time grasping where to begin and how.... :help:

We are also going to be going with a co-sponser (my mother) and am wanting to know where we begin with that as well?

How long between sending off the first packet of paperwork/fees to him being able to fly here and us get married does it take? I noticed for some people it has taken what seems like no time at all and others it's been months and months of waiting.

Any help is so tremendously appreciated!!!!

Thank you so much! :blush:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Start with form I-129F, you fill that out.

Both of you fill out your own G-325A.

Filing fee for I-129F is $340. Mail the I-129F, both form G-325A's, the fee, and your evidence to the lockbox in Dallas. The address is on the instructions.

The sponsor/co-sponsor forms (I-134) won't be needed until the file reaches the Embassy.

The posted time from NOA1 to NOA2 from USCIS is 5 months. May be longer, may be less. After USCIS approves the petition, they will send it to the NVC where it will be assigned a case number and then shipped to the Embassy in London.

I don't know how the Embassy in London schedules K1 interviews. Others who do can chime in.

I would say a good ballpark figure from filing to arrival is 6-8 months.

Best wishes!

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

filing fee has gone up. It is now $430 for 129 F

you need 129 F, g325 for each of you, letters of intent to marry (there are samples online just google it) and the fee. He is in england so your processing will be a lot faster than some other countries. I am 2 hours north of you near Chattanooga if you ever need to get more help, send private message to me. i can give u my phone number or email address.

Recently engaged, but together for 3 1/2 years, Scott and I have decided to go ahead and file for the K-1 Visa and I am anxious to get the process going....

I've spent the majority of my afternoon printing off several copies of documents and paperwork we need to fill out.

Currently I'm in Atlanta and he's in London and was hoping/wondering if there would be ANYONE at all who would be willing to help me walk through the process of the paperwork/filing/fees step by step??

I've read the guides over and over but I think I am having a hard time grasping where to begin and how.... :help:

We are also going to be going with a co-sponser (my mother) and am wanting to know where we begin with that as well?

How long between sending off the first packet of paperwork/fees to him being able to fly here and us get married does it take? I noticed for some people it has taken what seems like no time at all and others it's been months and months of waiting.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yeah and dont forget the letter of intent from both of you.

Filing fee for I-129F is $340. Mail the I-129F, both form G-325A's, the fee, and your evidence to the lockbox in Dallas. The address is on the instructions.

The sponsor/co-sponsor forms (I-134) won't be needed until the file reaches the Embassy.

The posted time from NOA1 to NOA2 from USCIS is 5 months. May be longer, may be less. After USCIS approves the petition, they will send it to the NVC where it will be assigned a case number and then shipped to the Embassy in London.

I don't know how the Embassy in London schedules K1 interviews. Others who do can chime in.

Best wishes!

Edited by paojack

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

filing fee has gone up. It is now $430 for 129 F

Wrong. Filing fee for I-129F is $340. This USCIS website confirms what the filing fee for the I-129F is.

Yeah and dont forget the letter of intent from both of you.

Good catch paojack. The letter of intent you both have to write states that you intend to marry the other within 90 of arrival in the US on a K1 visa and that you are legally able and willing to do so.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Focus on the I-129F for now. You will have plenty of time to get ready for that step waiting for NOA2.

Take a deep breath and follow the guide step-by-step. If I can do it anyone can.

Good luck and DON'T PANIC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Create a checklist

I 129F filled out completely and honestly

G 325 filled out by each of you

Filing fee of $340

Letter of intent (each of you need to write one and sign it)

Passport size photos of each of you

Evidence of having met in the last 2 years (hotel receipts, passport stamps, pictures, airline tickets, etc)

Birth Certificate or copy's of pages in passport of the US Citizen to prove citizenship

Copies of any divorce papers or changes of legal name

When starting the process it does seem like a monumental task and you can have the feeling of being overwhelmed. The way I was able to get through it was just to start with this checklist and complete 1 thing at a time. Eventually it all gets completed.

Met online - 12/2008

Met in Person 1st Time - 2/2009

Engaged - 12/2009

Filed I-129F - 3/27/11

Received Electronic NOA 1 - 4/7/11

NOA 2 - 6/29/11 (83 days from NOA 1)

RFE 8/15/11 (Needed proof that Fiancee is in Canada legally, Philippine citizen)

Packet 3 - 9/6/11

Packet 4 - Never Received

Interview 12/1/11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Use the Downloads for forms (top of this page on blue line) and Example forms (for examples.. haha) for Letters of intent etc. and just keep checking back if you have any questions. As has been said, it all starts to fall into place as you go.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

My friend received the RFE cause of the tax transcripts. They asked her to sent taxes for the previous 2 years. So i would put that in also with the packet below. It wont hurt. Good luck.

Create a checklist

I 129F filled out completely and honestly

G 325 filled out by each of you

Filing fee of $340

Letter of intent (each of you need to write one and sign it)

Passport size photos of each of you

Evidence of having met in the last 2 years (hotel receipts, passport stamps, pictures, airline tickets, etc)

Birth Certificate or copy's of pages in passport of the US Citizen to prove citizenship

Copies of any divorce papers or changes of legal name

When starting the process it does seem like a monumental task and you can have the feeling of being overwhelmed. The way I was able to get through it was just to start with this checklist and complete 1 thing at a time. Eventually it all gets completed.

K1 Process

06/13/2011 - I-129F packet sent

06/14/2011 - Packet delivered, signed by JArthur

06/16/2011 - Check cashed

06/17/2011 - Email and text NOA1

06/18/2011 - Touched

06/20/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received, dated 6/16

09/13/2011 - NOA2 approved, 88 days, text and email received

09/16/2011 - NOA2 hard copy received

10/31/2011 - Interview (Approved)

11/11/2011 - POE (Charlotte)

11/27/2011 - Wedding

AOS, EAD & AP

12/16/2011 - Packet sent

12/19/2011 - Package delivered and signed by J.C

12/22/2011 - 3 emails and text notifications

12/23/2011 - Check cashed

12/27/2011 - NOA1 hard copies received

12/30/2011 - Biometrics letter received, appt date set for Jan 23rd

01/17/2012 - Case transferred to CSC (notified by text and email)

01/20/2012 - Hard copy of transfer received

01/23/2012 - Biometrics done

02/21/2012 - EAD and AP approved

02/28/2012 - EAD and AP received on same card

03/15/2012 - Green card approved, in production

03/20/2012 - Green card in hands

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just Read the Guides and Follow the Guides. Start with the first line in those and stop at the last sentence.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Best wishes!

How long does it typically take before we need to start the co-sponser paperwork process? Or ball park estimate perhaps?

My friend received the RFE cause of the tax transcripts. They asked her to sent taxes for the previous 2 years. So i would put that in also with the packet below. It wont hurt. Good luck.

I was going to ask about taxes as well, they require how many years? Cos I didn't file for a long time and just filed this year for the first time in....well in a while.... :blush:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

How long does it typically take before we need to start the co-sponser paperwork process? Or ball park estimate perhaps?

If you live in Atlanta your petition will be adjudicated at VSC so you are looking at 5 month +/- to get NOA2. Co-sponsor paperwork won't be required until the interview at the embassy.

Edited by Operator

Good picture of the whole porcess http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Guides http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Tips http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1tips

Some graphs showing averages of processing http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1historical

You can get held up at any step of the way. Theses are averages of VJ people.

UK forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

You can click on timelines of people still not there yet (with the visa) and get a sense of how long they've been at it.

Sample forms filled out http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

Read, read, read and don't make any plans for a wedding until you have a visa. The (one)tax return is taken to the interview which could be 8 months from now.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

I used this youtube video to help me organize my stuff. And the blog as well. Hope this help.

http://fianceek1visa.blogspot.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.