Adele

Can VAWA be EXPEDITED & approved without RFE?

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Am new here and it's nice to among people in the same boat as I am. I filled my VAWA in 12-9-2010 after my ex who was a PR refused to file Citizenship in order to adjust my status after being married over 4year. He had filled my 130 ONLY which was approved in October 2009 so last year after my priority date became current, I filled i360, i485 and EAD all together. February I received my EAD but since then u haven't heard from USCIS.

My case is obviously outside the 5month time frame. I would like to take an offer to study abroad that my new college has offered me but I can't leave the country so I have two questions, can I request an expedite in the VAWA due to school and two, how long will it take after approving my VAWA to schedule an i485 interview??

Finally I know that AOS requires medical exams but I have never done one as I came here on a B1 and got married, if I need one, at what point in the process will I be asked to do it?

I really appreciate your inputs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Applying for VAWA isn't like applying for the train card..I doubt you can expedite it,cause nowadays uscis woke up and know how many fraudsters out there would do anything to get immigration benefits by using the means provided by this infamous act, and they definitely take their time.

Btw be prepared to have a very intense interview when you will be called for it

I filled my VAWA in 12-9-2010 after my ex who was a PR refused to file Citizenship in order to adjust my status after being married over 4year.

Isn't WAVA for cases of abuse?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hey guys,

Am new here and it's nice to among people in the same boat as I am. I filled my VAWA in 12-9-2010 after my ex who was a PR refused to file Citizenship in order to adjust my status after being married over 4year. He had filled my 130 ONLY which was approved in October 2009 so last year after my priority date became current, I filled i360, i485 and EAD all together. February I received my EAD but since then u haven't heard from USCIS.

My case is obviously outside the 5month time frame. I would like to take an offer to study abroad that my new college has offered me but I can't leave the country so I have two questions, can I request an expedite in the VAWA due to school and two, how long will it take after approving my VAWA to schedule an i485 interview??

Finally I know that AOS requires medical exams but I have never done one as I came here on a B1 and got married, if I need one, at what point in the process will I be asked to do it?

This is not ABUSE, you will be grilled big time at your interview. Good luck :thumbs:

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Thanks for your input but just to clarify, I was abused both physically and mentally and ends up living in a shelter for a while so that was just a glimpse into my case, I did not just want to get into the rest of it since it's a difficult topic but trust me, I have a VAWA case. Also I have not be asked for RFE so that's why I wanted to know if thats normal..

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Isn't WAVA for cases of abuse?
This is not ABUSE, you will be grilled big time at your interview. Good luck :thumbs:

Actually, withholding immigration benefits can be considered emotionally abusive if it is used as a means to control or trap the victim. So while you are correct that in and of itself this isn't abuse your are incorrect in automatically assuming that it can't be abusive.

I do agree that getting an expedite on VAWA is probably not going to happen as they are by definition outside of the norm for Immigration cases.

Timeline
Thanks for your input but just to clarify, I was abused both physically and mentally and ends up living in a shelter for a while so that was just a glimpse into my case, I did not just want to get into the rest of it since it's a difficult topic but trust me, I have a VAWA case. Also I have not be asked for RFE so that's why I wanted to know if thats normal..

Have you received anything beyond an NOA1 yet?

It's possible that you provided enough evidence upfront so you won't get a RFE, have you contacted USCIS (get through to a Tier 2 person) or checked your status online to see when your last "touch" was?

Thanks for the clarification Bob and yes withholding them was emotionally abusive because I could not even work and provide for myself and he used this to scare me a lot.

But no I have not heard anything since I filled, my i130 filled by my ex was approved about a year prior to filling my VAWA I don't know if this helps in any way.

I do enter my reciept number online and it's just on INTIAL REVIEW, how would I know if it is touched?

Timeline
Thanks for the clarification Bob and yes withholding them was emotionally abusive because I could not even work and provide for myself and he used this to scare me a lot.

But no I have not heard anything since I filled, my i130 filled by my ex was approved about a year prior to filling my VAWA I don't know if this helps in any way.

I do enter my reciept number online and it's just on INTIAL REVIEW, how would I know if it is touched?

Look at the date of last activity...

On a personal note I just want to tell you that I'm happy for you to have found the strength to get yourself out of that situation. I hope you have found the help needed to be able to move beyond it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey guys,

How are you going to maintain your status while studying abroad? Just out of interest. I know people that have done it but you should be aware that you are supposed to LIVE in the US and attending school overseas means you will be living overseas while studying. Absences more than 6 months can be held against you and have your GC revoked. Make sure you explore the "what if's" if you haven't already.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Did you case ever get approved??

YES :dance::dance::dance: My VAWA got approved beginning of September without and RFE or any other problems and am going to do my i485 interview next week... SO EXCITED! and looking forward to close this depressing chapter in my life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.