Udella&Wiz

Changing to 'citizen' as Social Security

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Am I reading correctly on the SS site that I fill out the same application just to change the box that indicates citizen instead of 'Legal alien'? I realize I'll keep the same number of course.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My SSN says nothing about being a greencard holder....

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Am I reading correctly on the SS site that I fill out the same application just to change the box that indicates citizen instead of 'Legal alien'? I realize I'll keep the same number of course.

Nothing has changed with my two girls since 2004, first time we filled out the SS-5 for the EAD card, same name, address, sex, race, DOB, parents name, land line phone number, except for their citizen status and the date.

Not even the 2002 form was changed, so I just open that *.pfd file and had clicked first on Legal Alien allowed to work for both their EAD and Green Cards, strange, they don't have that LPR box to check, and the date. Have them sign it, bring the evidence to my SS office that is 32 miles away when I go there on other business, give them the form and show the evidence, and thats it. I also used SAVE AS to save a copy of the latest form, like SS1, SS2, SS3, etc.

For my wife, she did drop her maiden name, so highlighted that and hit delete, and on the EAD application, didn't have their SS number, so had to fill that in for the LPR card application.

Same name on all the cards, except wife doesn't have her maiden name on the last card. On their first cards, had "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" printed on it, drop that for the LPR cards, US citizen card is identical to the LPR card, except my wifes' maiden name was removed.

Tried to be nice to my SS office and bring in beautiful color copies of either their EAD, LPR, or Citizen Certificate, but they would never accept those, make a copy on their worn out copy machine with black streaks all over it. Just say, suit yourself.

They never asked for the old cards back, so each has four of them, one for the EAD, ROC, LPR, and the US citizenship, have the old ones filed away in their respective immigration files.

Last guy was nasty, wanted to see my girls in person, just reminded him that big sign on the wall contradicts that, not here to get money, but have 14.8% of their gross wages taken away for them for his paycheck. I am his boss and he better be nice. You can also mail in your application with the original evidence, but the odds are, you will never see that again. never seen such a bunch of lazy inconsiderate people working for us in our government.

Timeline

My SSN says nothing about being a greencard holder....

You're right - but once you become a citizen you need to change your citizenship status with Social Security.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Thanks...yes, I wouldn't trust them a bit with my brand new shiny certificate of citizenship if I mailed it in (come July) so I'll be running into the SS office and do it in person.

Nothing has changed with my two girls since 2004, first time we filled out the SS-5 for the EAD card, same name, address, sex, race, DOB, parents name, land line phone number, except for their citizen status and the date.

Not even the 2002 form was changed, so I just open that *.pfd file and had clicked first on Legal Alien allowed to work for both their EAD and Green Cards, strange, they don't have that LPR box to check, and the date. Have them sign it, bring the evidence to my SS office that is 32 miles away when I go there on other business, give them the form and show the evidence, and thats it. I also used SAVE AS to save a copy of the latest form, like SS1, SS2, SS3, etc.

For my wife, she did drop her maiden name, so highlighted that and hit delete, and on the EAD application, didn't have their SS number, so had to fill that in for the LPR card application.

Same name on all the cards, except wife doesn't have her maiden name on the last card. On their first cards, had "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" printed on it, drop that for the LPR cards, US citizen card is identical to the LPR card, except my wifes' maiden name was removed.

Tried to be nice to my SS office and bring in beautiful color copies of either their EAD, LPR, or Citizen Certificate, but they would never accept those, make a copy on their worn out copy machine with black streaks all over it. Just say, suit yourself.

They never asked for the old cards back, so each has four of them, one for the EAD, ROC, LPR, and the US citizenship, have the old ones filed away in their respective immigration files.

Last guy was nasty, wanted to see my girls in person, just reminded him that big sign on the wall contradicts that, not here to get money, but have 14.8% of their gross wages taken away for them for his paycheck. I am his boss and he better be nice. You can also mail in your application with the original evidence, but the odds are, you will never see that again. never seen such a bunch of lazy inconsiderate people working for us in our government.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ha! I did not know that, just assumed they would know... silly me!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Once you have become a USC, you fill out form SS-5 and mark "US citizen." That updates SSA's records which is now necessary in many states where the DMV will check the SSA database before issuing a new driver's license. It's also helpful in other ways to have this update done; for example, if you step in front of a bus and get wiped out or are in a tomato-like state, your wife has less paperwork when applying for benefits.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

They will take a copy of your citizenship document for their records as well so it is good to do this before you send away for your US passport. You will also want to change your status with your Department of Driver Services or whoever issues Drivers' Licenses as well and they too will need to see your citizenship document even though they will also verify the information either with SSA or with USCIS. If you register to vote you have the option of using your driver's license for identification if you don't want to send in your certificate - they will check with the DL department and if you are not listed as a citizen with them they will send you a strongly worded letter advising you to bring in the proof of your citizenship to them otherwise face the consequences when they send your report in for investigation - at least that is what happened to me :P . I quickly went and updated my DL information and took in my certificate to the Voter's Registration. As I had only renewed my DL several months before I got my citizenship and it was still valid for another 3 years I didn't think I needed to update it right away. I was wrong :D .

You will get a brand new SSN card when you become a citizen whether you want the new card or not - mine looked different from the other card I had although I don't know if it was because they re-designed it for everyone or the citizenship one was designed differently.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

They will take a copy of your citizenship document for their records as well so it is good to do this before you send away for your US passport. You will also want to change your status with your Department of Driver Services or whoever issues Drivers' Licenses as well and they too will need to see your citizenship document even though they will also verify the information either with SSA or with USCIS. If you register to vote you have the option of using your driver's license for identification if you don't want to send in your certificate - they will check with the DL department and if you are not listed as a citizen with them they will send you a strongly worded letter advising you to bring in the proof of your citizenship to them otherwise face the consequences when they send your report in for investigation - at least that is what happened to me :P . I quickly went and updated my DL information and took in my certificate to the Voter's Registration. As I had only renewed my DL several months before I got my citizenship and it was still valid for another 3 years I didn't think I needed to update it right away. I was wrong :D .

You will get a brand new SSN card when you become a citizen whether you want the new card or not - mine looked different from the other card I had although I don't know if it was because they re-designed it for everyone or the citizenship one was designed differently.

Wouldn't it be better to get your passport (they need your certificate regardless) first and then just use that at the SS office, one less 'photocopy'?

My timeline:

• [00] N-400 Dallas ---------------------------- 02/22/2011
    [03] N-400 Received -------------------------02/25/2011
    [06] PD ------------------------------------------ 02/28/2011
    [07] Check Cashed --------------------------03/01/2011
    [08] NOA: Email/SMS ------------------------03/02/2011
    [10] NOA Received by Mail -----------------03/04/2011
    [14] 'Touched' ---------------------------------03/08/2011
    [14] FP Notice Issued: Email/SMS ------ 03/08/2011
    [18] FP Received by Mail --------------------03/12/2011
    [30] FP Appointment-Done!----------------03/24/2011
    [59] YL--------------------------------------------04/22/2011
    [71] To Local Office Email/SMS ----------05/04/2011
    [74] IL-------------------------------------------- 05/07/2011
    [108]ID------------------------------------------- 06/10/2011 Passed!
    [157] OL Received by Mail ----------------- 07/29/2011
    [185] OD----------------------------------------- 08/26/2011 US Citizen

event.png

event.png

Timeline

You could, except you need to include your certificate with your passport application and that means you have no proof of your status and are still listed as a PR for the several weeks to month that the certificate is out of your possession. If something happens to either the certificate or passport - or both - when it is out of your possession you are left with nothing to show your real status until you get a replacement. I do know of passports and of citizenship documents that have gone missing in the mail. My own passport went missing - disappeared for over a month after it was mailed back to me and had to be cancelled and replaced by the passport office. While you don't expect delays like this, they do happen and have happened to VJ members, including some whose citizenship certificates also disappeared in the mail, never to be found again.

So, it is easier to go in person to the SSA, bring your certificate with you, let them take a photocopy of it to accompany your application to change your status, take your citizenship certificate back home with you and then apply for your passport. Your status won't be updated by SSA until they can verify your new status with USCIS and that generally takes about a week to ten days so they will hold your application and copy until they get a positive response, then issue you your new card. While you are waiting however, your certificate is now on its way to the passport office for a passport. The SSA will update your status so even if your certificate/passport get lost in the mail or delayed in the mail your status will be updated where it counts - with SSA.

If you have a Passport Application Processing Center near you then it becomes a moot point as your certificate doesn't leave your hand - you just go to the application center and they will make a copy of the certificate and return the original to you. Most people do not live near a Passport Application Processing Center though so this is not often an option.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Please correct me if I am wrong--as we are not to this stage in the immigration process yet--but first time passport holders must apply in person at either a county courthouse or a passport authorized location at a US post office. I know when we went for the marriage license there were people applying for passports in front of us at the county courthouse. I think I read on my last passport application--cira 2008-- that a first time application must submit all documents and be "interviewed" at an approved location. If that is the case then the proof of citizenship does not leave your possesion. I know I would never mail it in if it is the only thing providing my citizenship. I would find a way to show it to someone in order to get a passport, but that is me as I do not trust the USPS with anything important.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Please correct me if I am wrong--as we are not to this stage in the immigration process yet--but first time passport holders must apply in person at either a county courthouse or a passport authorized location at a US post office. I know when we went for the marriage license there were people applying for passports in front of us at the county courthouse. I think I read on my last passport application--cira 2008-- that a first time application must submit all documents and be "interviewed" at an approved location. If that is the case then the proof of citizenship does not leave your possesion. I know I would never mail it in if it is the only thing providing my citizenship. I would find a way to show it to someone in order to get a passport, but that is me as I do not trust the USPS with anything important.

Dave

DOS has a website by zip code to inform you of agents in your area, our choice was either the city post office or the city clerk, we chose the latter. If you have an airline ticket, can hit one of the dozen DOS service centers and do it in one day, provided they are close to you. If you don't care for the agents in your town, can go to the next town, they are all happy to take your money.

Our city clerk has been an agent for the DOS for over twenty years, and the DOS trusts her in every way, like yes, that is a photo of you on your certificate. But they don't trust her to make a copy of your certificate to mail that in, she has to send in the original.

Ever get the impression we have a bunch of idiots running this country? Can you even imagine hiring any president, congressman, or senator to handle your personal financial affairs? You would be living in a cardboard box, picking trashcans looking for food while constantly being chased by creditors.

Timeline

Thanks all - I'll probably hit the SS office first before applying for my passport...like Kathryn says never know if they'll misplace your valuable document while preparing your passport

1st things first

1. scan and make myself a copy

2. SS office

3. Passport

4. ONly have a state id - but I guess I'll run in there and update myself (is it needed?)

And then...........Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - all this after July 13th of course

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Country: Austria
Timeline

That's what happened to me, too ...

But when I went to the SSA to update my status as USC they made a copy of my Certificate, but I never received a new SSN card. A mishap perhaps ? :unsure:

Timeline

That's what happened to me, too ...

But when I went to the SSA to update my status as USC they made a copy of my Certificate, but I never received a new SSN card. A mishap perhaps ? :unsure:

Hmm, interesting. When the woman at SSA told me I would get a new card in the mail I said that the one I had was still fine - wasn't marked as restricted or anything. She said, nope, you'll get a new card. Maybe there had been a design change in between my original and the new one and they were updating it because of that? No idea. If you want a new card you can request one. You are allowed to have them replaced fairly regularly and on a far more generous scale than I would have expected :D .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.