EHJ

Have you ever claimed to be a US citizen

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have never claimed to be a US citizen... my bank has on my mortgage application a few years ago.

As I get closer to filing my form n400, this issue has crept up on me because back then (in 2006) it

struck me as odd and I really didn't question it - but now I'm downright freaked out over the whole issue.

I have been in the US since 2003, been married to a US citizen for over a decade and been working full time

and paying my taxes for the entire period since then.

In 2006 my wife and I decided to buy the house we were renting and I went to a local bank to get the process

started. The gentleman who helped me fill out my mortgage application (rural development loan if that helps any)

got to the point on the form where it asked whether I was a US citizen or not. I told him 'no' but that I was

eventually going for naturalization. "Good enough", he said and checked 'yes'.

Of course the application has my signature on it...

It's his handwriting on it. I even remember that I signed with a different color pen. Not that I think this

will make any difference or will it? I don't want this to come back and bite me in the rear end when it comes

to naturalization. Should I get in touch with my bank and have it changed? Is that even possible?

I have never claimed to be a US citizen - what would be the point? And now I am worried that an overzealous loan

officer might have jeopardized mine and my family's future.

Question number two - does a small claims court ruling need to be reported on the paperwork? I settled with my

credit card company on monthly payments (and been making consistent payments) but they insisted on a court ruling.

$3k in credit card debt that I am paying back every month. As far as I know only criminal acts/citations etc.

need to be reported. But I might be wrong, I guess.

Otherwise I've been an awesome guy all around.

Thanks in advance for any advice on my issues!!

Not sure about the bank's error on the mortgage app--you may need to consult an attorney.

On the small-claims matter--that is actually "civil" rather than criminal--and doesn't need to be reported.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have never claimed to be a US citizen... but you did

Of course the application has my signature on it... Your signature authorized the form why sign it knowing the info noted what if they put you were a Brazilian Citizen would you have signed it just the same... i think not.

It's his handwriting on it. I even remember that I signed with a different color pen. Not that I think this

will make any difference or will it? Naah it wont

Should I get in touch with my bank and have it changed? Is that even possible? I'm sure that is possible yes that is simple an update to the bank's records.

Question number two - does a small claims court ruling need to be reported on the paperwork? No+ no where on the from to put this plus 1/2 of the people around you have bad credit

Otherwise I've been an awesome guy all around. good.gif

Honestly it is not likely to come up with the bank. What is your registration status with the DMV..? LPR? US Citizen? Are you registered to vote?

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Honestly it is not likely to come up with the bank. What is your registration status with the DMV..? LPR? US Citizen? Are you registered to vote?

LPR, not registered to vote. When I renewed my license with the DMV last year, I had to show my Green Card and additional paperwork was done as far

as I remember.

Like I said - the bank thing was the only screw up. And please don't think I was trying to blame anyone other than myself.

I should have paid more attention. But hind sight is always 20/20.

So do you think if the bank rectifies this error/mistake/foul up on my part in their system, I should be good?

I seriously appreciate the feedback so far!

Timeline

LPR, not registered to vote. When I renewed my license with the DMV last year, I had to show my Green Card and additional paperwork was done as far

as I remember.

Like I said - the bank thing was the only screw up. And please don't think I was trying to blame anyone other than myself.

I should have paid more attention. But hind sight is always 20/20.

So do you think if the bank rectifies this error/mistake/foul up on my part in their system, I should be good?

I seriously appreciate the feedback so far!

you will be okay if no other systems would show you as being a US Citizen or claiming to be one.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes,

if that were true, you did make a false claim to US citizenship because you remember that he marked "US citizen" and you then signed it.

I remember that when my business partner and I bought a commercial property early in 2008, we had to sign--I kid you not--about 101 pages. I don't even remember what I had to sign, let alone where those papers are . . .

Take from that what you want.

:whistle:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Should I still have my bank change it? Can't hurt can it? Or just let it go? Or say screw it and just extend my GC every ten years? :(

I could seriously kick myself...

Edit: the best part is - there was no reason for the guy to check 'US citizen' in the first place - mortgage plan was just fine for LPR's...

Edited by EHJ

Timeline

Should I still have my bank change it? Can't hurt can it? Or just let it go? Or say screw it and just extend my GC every ten years? :(

Edit: the best part is - there was no reason for the guy to check 'US citizen' in the first place - mortgage plan was just fine for LPR's...

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The problem isn't that it's still there (you should change it though) but the question is "have you ever" and the answer to that question is yes. It's like robbing a bank 20 years ago and having someone ask if you ever robbed a bank and you thinking that because you aren't robbing one right now that you didn't "ever".. obviously saying that like that it sounds silly.

I would like to think that there's hope for you admitting that years ago your mortgage guy wrote it on there but like Bob said, I can't tell you what I signed. I remember reading it at the time but the fact you remembered it shows you knew something wasn't quite right about it. You should have never signed it saying that. You should have fixed it. Had you fixed it sooner you could have said "As soon as I realised I fixed it" but it's been so long I don't think that excuse would fly.

I mean if it was something you had to get for the USC process and THAT'S when you found the error then that might be understandable but your mortgage stuff isn't required for USC process (deed maybe for AOS/ROC). I STRONGLY suggest you see an immigration lawyer about this. One girl in the last couple of months found out at her N-400 interview that she ticked a box years ago when getting her drivers licence that was for "USC's only" which was signing up to vote. She never voted but she was in deep do-do after that, you actually had someone tick a box claiming to be a USC whereas she only ticked a box that only USC's were allowed to tick.. her's sounds less bad to me and she was in trouble...

The problem isn't that it's still there (you should change it though) but the question is "have you ever" and the answer to that question is yes. It's like robbing a bank 20 years ago and having someone ask if you ever robbed a bank and you thinking that because you aren't robbing one right now that you didn't "ever".. obviously saying that like that it sounds silly.

I would like to think that there's hope for you admitting that years ago your mortgage guy wrote it on there but like Bob said, I can't tell you what I signed. I remember reading it at the time but the fact you remembered it shows you knew something wasn't quite right about it. You should have never signed it saying that. You should have fixed it. Had you fixed it sooner you could have said "As soon as I realised I fixed it" but it's been so long I don't think that excuse would fly.

I mean if it was something you had to get for the USC process and THAT'S when you found the error then that might be understandable but your mortgage stuff isn't required for USC process (deed maybe for AOS/ROC). I STRONGLY suggest you see an immigration lawyer about this. One girl in the last couple of months found out at her N-400 interview that she ticked a box years ago when getting her drivers licence that was for "USC's only" which was signing up to vote. She never voted but she was in deep do-do after that, you actually had someone tick a box claiming to be a USC whereas she only ticked a box that only USC's were allowed to tick.. her's sounds less bad to me and she was in trouble...

Truthfully? I really just recently did remember that happening when I decided to opt for naturalization. Are they really that crazy about stuff like that??

As I mentioned above - in no other way did I ever pose as/claimed to be a US citizen.

I'd (personally) think that registering to vote is much more of a problem than me not realizing (at that point in time)that I fubar'ed on an application.

I gained no benefit from 'claiming' to be a citizen after all (Rural Development Mortgage is for citizens AND LPR's).

I guess it's lawyer time. I'm just a little shocked that 8 years of good conduct and being married (with kids, mind you) to a US citizen for over a decade can be ruined by just -one- slip. Are we talking about me getting put on the next plane to the old country here or what?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Truthfully? I really just recently did remember that happening when I decided to opt for naturalization. Are they really that crazy about stuff like that??

As I mentioned above - in no other way did I ever pose as/claimed to be a US citizen.

I'd (personally) think that registering to vote is much more of a problem than me not realizing (at that point in time)that I fubar'ed on an application.

I gained no benefit from 'claiming' to be a citizen after all (Rural Development Mortgage is for citizens AND LPR's).

I guess it's lawyer time. I'm just a little shocked that 8 years of good conduct and being married (with kids, mind you) to a US citizen for over a decade can be ruined by just -one- slip. Are we talking about me getting put on the next plane to the old country here or what?

Deported with lifetime ban yes. Claiming to be a USC is one of the worst things you can do.

Another story, girl came in as a child back in the day where you could just say you were a USC at the border of Canada or Mexico and they'd just waive you through. SHE never said anything but the person who was driving the car said they were USC's and that was it. I believe she left and re-entered legally (otherwise she couldn't have tried to AOS) but she relayed that old story to the CO. She was told she would be denied, deported (or could leave voluntarily) with a lifetime ban. Note I said SHE didn't say anything but she didn't do anything to correct it so it was held against her.

Regarding the previous story I believe yours is worse. She never even realised she ticked that box. She never voted she just didn't see the words (USC only). She didn't even know that she'd done it.. it was only when the CO said "Have you ever registered to vote?" and she said no that he told her about the record they found that she DID tick a box and that it said "USC only". I can't recall having read what happened... maybe she never came back to say.

Anyway yes, you NEED to see a lawyer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Always was with my wife or stepdaughter when it came to anything important, like school, filling out a job application, DMV, or banking. I really question the spouse of this poster, wouldn't have of happened if I was there. But was with my wife, and it didn't happen. But that is history now since they are both US citizens.

Learned very quickly that immigration is a foreign subject to practically anyone I met, even working for city, state, or the federal government. I fought with our DMV for over a week as they only wanted to issue a drivers' license to my wife to the date her conditional green card would expire. The guy they put in charge didn't know a damn thing about immigration, but did thank me for some insights.

Filed: Other Timeline

:whistle:

I would be surprised if anyone ever looks at the mortgage papers once they are signed.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If its a goverment backed mortgage like Fannie or Freddie its in the system.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.