Captain Ewok

Immigration Guides for Foreign Relatives

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey everyone

I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm completely lost for answers so I'm going to see what advice comes from here.

I was granted a Green Card through the lottery and arrived in the US in Dec 2012. During the process of obtaining my green card, I got engaged to an Australian girl, and due to get married towards the end of 2013. However she is currently in the US on a B1/B2 visa and would like to stay on a permanent basis to live and work. We've entertained such ideas as getting married at a local courthouse etc but still unsure of what all of our options are. What are the quickest and most effective options for us to look at to allow her to live/work in the US?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by KD3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey everyone

I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm completely lost for answers so I'm going to see what advice comes from here.

I was granted a Green Card through the lottery and arrived in the US in Dec 2012. During the process of obtaining my green card, I got engaged to an Australian girl, and due to get married towards the end of 2013. However she is currently in the US on a B1/B2 visa and would like to stay on a permanent basis to live and work. We've entertained such ideas as getting married at a local courthouse etc but still unsure of what all of our options are. What are the quickest and most effective options for us to look at to allow her to live/work in the US?

Thank you in advance!

As a green card holder you can file an I130 for your wife, Once approved there is about a 2 1/2 year wait for a visa number. She can't just stay and adjust status and should not overstay her visa.

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

• 2 months later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Dear,

My priority date 15june2011. Nvc complete my case 12th may2013, they told me as soon as possible the give me the interview date. But still I m waiting for the interview. Visa category f2a.

Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Also I have one more question. I am waiting for there interview letter. In month of July my father birth day and after next month is my son birth day. So, my plan before there interview I want present with them in there interview also I want to attend my father birth day in my country. If I get the travel in that time is any problem. I m confuse coz if the embassy want anything at the time of interview? Please let me know. And I'm planning to visit my country in month of June between 25-30 June, 2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

my chinese wife and her 12 year old son came here on a k1 and she has her green card, son still in process? the problem is since she left, her sister went through a divorce, her husband loved majong, but is bad at it, and now she must work full time, leaving her 11 year old son alone most of the day. what is the best way to get him here, from what i read only orphan is easy and it has to be a real orphan. no parents, even if we adopt him. my wife wants to find her a husband and then come that way. it seem all other ways the boy will be in his 20's when he gets here. so much easier with her other son, the hospitial sent the papers to social security, he is 4 months old now, my only biological child. thank you

Edited by winken

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone. My mother (GC holder since 2009, housewife in India) applied for my brother (presently unmarried, 30) the same year under F2B category. My mother doesn't live in USA and visits america every year for 2 to 3 months. As she is the petitioner she need to provide Affidavit of Support to USCIS. My mother never paid any taxes in US and has no ties with USA. As her daughter I could be a joint sponser but is there any way she could provide affidavit of support when the priority date will become current.

Additionaly, I read somewhere she need to show that her domicile is in USA not abroad. How can she show her domicile in US while living abroad? Please help.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone. My mother (GC holder since 2009, housewife in India) applied for my brother (presently unmarried, 30) the same year under F2B category. My mother doesn't live in USA and visits america every year for 2 to 3 months. As she is the petitioner she need to provide Affidavit of Support to USCIS. My mother never paid any taxes in US and has no ties with USA. As her daughter I could be a joint sponser but is there any way she could provide affidavit of support when the priority date will become current.

Additionaly, I read somewhere she need to show that her domicile is in USA not abroad. How can she show her domicile in US while living abroad? Please help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Umm, if she's living abroad, her domicile isn't in the US. If she has no ties to the US and doesn't domicile there, how does she retain her green card? Regardless, all green card holders need to file US tax returns regardless of where they live and how they earn their income. She will either need to file back taxes, or prove that she made too little money to be required to file them.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone - no idea where to start so I thought it would be a good idea to start with those that know!

My wife and I are UK citizens.

My wife is shortlisted for a job and as such I understand she will receive a green card on the basis of having special skills.. not really sure how it works.

Assuming she is employed and therefore become resident and working in the US, what happens with me?! As I do not do a job which requires special skills, can I apply to become a resident and find work, or do I apply to reside with her but am not allowed to work or anything..? What will be my status and what will I be allowed and not allowed to do? Can I even COME to the US other than on a Visitor's visa?!

Sorry to ask so many questions in one go, this is all very sudden and she may have to move in the next few weeks...reading.gif

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi everyone - no idea where to start so I thought it would be a good idea to start with those that know!

My wife and I are UK citizens.

My wife is shortlisted for a job and as such I understand she will receive a green card on the basis of having special skills.. not really sure how it works.

Assuming she is employed and therefore become resident and working in the US, what happens with me?! As I do not do a job which requires special skills, can I apply to become a resident and find work, or do I apply to reside with her but am not allowed to work or anything..? What will be my status and what will I be allowed and not allowed to do? Can I even COME to the US other than on a Visitor's visa?!

Sorry to ask so many questions in one go, this is all very sudden and she may have to move in the next few weeks...reading.gif

Is your wife getting a green card or a work visa? Big difference between the two.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I hope I didn't overlook this answer somewhere but...When my fiance' finally gets over here and gets settled after our K1 visa goes through is there anyway that we can get his brother here with us. He is a college student, 20 yr old, and depends on my fiance. Father has passed and doesn't deal with his mom. Thanks so much for you guys help and advice. Happy Friday!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I hope I didn't overlook this answer somewhere but...When my fiance' finally gets over here and gets settled after our K1 visa goes through is there anyway that we can get his brother here with us. He is a college student, 20 yr old, and depends on my fiance. Father has passed and doesn't deal with his mom. Thanks so much for you guys help and advice. Happy Friday!

None at this time. He cannot file anything for his brother.

When your husband becomes a USC, he can petition his brother. He can apply for citizenship after 3 years if marriage to you and 3 years if having a green card.

Once your USC husband files for his brother, it will take 12 years.

So 15 years for him to bring his brother to the US at this time.

A student visa is possible if you have $$$$ to pay non-resident tuition and cost of living. (Typically at least $15,000 per year for the duration of study. Cash in the bank only please. No guarantee from USC. Housing expenses must be shown even if the student plans to live with a relative.)

Things that you said that US immigration does not care about; financial dependence on brother, dead father, and no dealings with the mother. None of this matters.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

None at this time. He cannot file anything for his brother.

When your husband becomes a USC, he can petition his brother. He can apply for citizenship after 3 years if marriage to you and 3 years if having a green card.

Once your USC husband files for his brother, it will take 12 years.

So 15 years for him to bring his brother to the US at this time.

A student visa is possible if you have $$$$ to pay non-resident tuition and cost of living. (Typically at least $15,000 per year for the duration of study. Cash in the bank only please. No guarantee from USC. Housing expenses must be shown even if the student plans to live with a relative.)

Things that you said that US immigration does not care about; financial dependence on brother, dead father, and no dealings with the mother. None of this matters.

Or you wait until grad school and see if he can get into a program that will fund him.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

• 3 weeks later...

Dear I sent my DS-230 form together with all the other required information like original birth and marriage certificate, pictures, passport copy and also police clearance on 1st of July 2013, and I already make sure signed and received by NVC. I would appreciate if anyone tell me what might be the next step and how do I follow online like we used to prior to approval.

Thx all.

Dear I sent my DS-230 form together with all the other required information like original birth and marriage certificate, pictures, passport copy and also police clearance on 1st of July 2013, and I already make sure signed and received by NVC. I would appreciate if anyone tell me what might be the next step and how do I follow online like we used to prior to approval. And how long it takes then-after?

Thx all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.