28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Rick,

Me and my family have done everything legally up to this point in failing to renew my I-94.

I entered on a B1/B2 tourist visa and was given permission to stay (I-94).

We renewed it until we sent in my I-130. We made a big mistake and sent the original I-94 along with my I-130.

Why we did this? I often question myself the same thing considering there was nothing in the I-130 requesting it.

After we sent it off, we had no I-94 to return to the Border Crossing Officers. So we were unable to renew nothing.

I understand this is a biiig mistake.

But again, to answer your question: Yes I entered with a tourist visa AND LEGAL inspection.

There was no illegalness involved.

Gina:

In order to get a good advice here from the VJ Community, you need to clarify this:

Did you enter the US with a tourist visa or enter without inspection (illegally)?

If you EWI then you are not going to be able to AOS, even if married to a USC (but a waiver is possible)

4/20/2010: Met for the first time

8/01/2010: Moved in together at his parents

5/29/2011: Asked me to marry him :)

7/01/2011: Started renting my sister's guest room together

7/14/2011: Got married officially

USCIS

10/26/2011: sent I-130 I-485 and I-765

11/02/2011: received Email USCIS Acceptance Confirmation for I-130 I-485 and I-765

11/03/2011: received NOA1 for I-130 I-485 and I-765

11/23/2011: Biometrics appointment for I-485 and I-765

01/09/2012: Recieved EAD in mail

02/08/2012: Interview Date (APPROVED!)

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

First let me start by telling you that I wish I could give you a big hug because I know how hard it is to lose a parent. You are grieving for your father right now and that is the source of your pain. Of course, you want to go to him even though he is not there because you need to find relief for your pain. Running to something that is no longer there will cause you greater pain than you can imagine. Hold on tight to the young man who loves you and let him help you through this pain. It will be harder to go through it alone.

When you can and as soon as you can, contact Immigration Services and tell them your situation. Find out what they suggest. You may want to talk to more than one person to see if you get the same answer. Once you get an answer that you trust, then you have to take steps to fix your life. Your father would want you to be safe and sound. He loves you and I know you love him. Find the strength for him. Live a great and wonderful life for him. You will one day walk out into the sunlight, look up, and you will know you made your father proud.

Many blessings.

NOA 1 November 15, 2010

NOA 2 August 25, 2011

Closed NVC Ocotber 11, 2011

Interview Date: January 12,2012

Thank you my wonderful God in Heaven.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

You have my deepest sympathies, since you entered legally I do believe you can AOS if you marry a USC without leaving. Best wishes for a great future

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: Other Timeline

Gina,

I was in a similar situation.

Both my parents died while I was here in the US, unable to leave the country without triggering the 10-year bar. My mom died on the operating table after 4 or so previous heart surgeries, so even if I had tried to make it in time to catch a flight, I couldn't have been there in time to say goodbye. My dad was 81 and one day he just died, without giving a week's notice.

I studied philosophy in college and have been involved with religion and spirituality for many years previously and afterward. Heck, I even lived in India for 6 months in 1985 when trying to figure things out and find myself, the real me, the one that lives inside the body. There's one thing I've taken from Buddhism: don't let things effect you that you can't change, and don't let things consume you that are things of the past.

Once somebody is dead, there's nothing you can do. Being there at the funeral is paying respect, but the person that passed on won't benefit from it. The only person that's suffering after someone died is you. But you only suffer if you allow yourself to suffer. After my mom died, I reflected on her life and wrote a Eulogy that my daughter read at the funeral. I had my silent moment and an hour of emotional pain, but afterward I made the deliberate effort to look ahead, into the future, not toward the past. I remember the best of my parents and in my house I have one photo in the hall showing me with my parents when I was maybe 6 or 7, and one when we were all at a Luau on Maui, Hawaii, back in the 2001 or 2002.

Life goes on, and the best you can do is to take one step at a time and deal with the challenges life throws at you. There's nothing to be gained for you, your father, or anybody else if you consume your time with thoughts on what you would--or should or wish you could--have done differently.

Look ahead, and live life. Enjoy it, every day of it, because one day it's the end for you, and me, and everybody else as well. Like a beautiful rose, we are being planted, born, grow, become beautiful, and then slowly die. It's the circle of life, and it's nature in its purest form, and there's nothing we or anybody can do about it, so we might as well try to make the best of it.

(F)

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

May the comfort of God help you during this difficult time (F)

What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch, we may not understand why you left this earth so soon, or why you left before we were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, we begin to remember not just that you died, but that you lived. And that your life gave us memories too beautiful to forget.

event.png

event.png

Gina, I just wanted to offer you my sincerest condolences for the loss of your father. I wish you peace and comfort during this time. You will figure out what to do. Just take it day by day. (L)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dear Gina,

I know we haven't met or anything but I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is hard to move on but you have to for your dad because he would want you to move on with your life. Don't give up on anything!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

So sorry for your loss Gina, Do not give up or lose your focus. things might seem very cloudy the days ahead but hang in there and get busy with work, study or anything. No one knows what the other person is going through but we all here VJ family are ready to help you and support you.

Filed: Timeline

Hi Gina,

Since you came here legally you have a good chance to AOS but that is thru marriage, it seems like you have the love of your life and is in a good faith relationship, when one day both of you are ready to settle down things will get better. I had waited for a very long time for a decade, my grandpa died and there is no way I could come back without being banned. I waited for a long time to one day find someone who will love me and my daughter and God did answer my prayer I met my husband and we've been together for 4 yrs now. looking back I was thankful I made the right decisions, you may not get the answer now but one day when you can come back home and tell your dad he inspires u and that you didn't give up even when he was gone. wherever your dad is Im sure he is looking after you and will be happy that you have a good life ahead of u.

Hi Gina,

Since you came here legally you have a good chance to AOS but that is thru marriage, it seems like you have the love of your life and is in a good faith relationship, when one day both of you are ready to settle down things will get better. I had waited for a very long time for a decade, my grandpa died and there is no way I could come back without being banned. I waited for a long time to one day find someone who will love me and my daughter and God did answer my prayer I met my husband and we've been together for 4 yrs now. looking back I was thankful I made the right decisions, you may not get the answer now but one day when you can come back home and tell your dad he inspires u and that you didn't give up even when he was gone. wherever your dad is Im sure he is looking after you and will be happy that you have a good life ahead of u.

Our AOS Journey

March 4, 2011 Mailed 1-130 and AOS at the Chicago Lockbox thru USPS express mail

March 07, 2011, 9:44 am Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

March 25, 2011 NOA hard copy received

April 1, 2011 got an RFE for sponsors tax returns

April 15, 2011 biometrics appointment

May 12, 2011 rfe sent via usps priority mail

May 16, 2011 rfe recieved at lees summit

May 19, 2011 text/email notification rfe being reviewed

May 20,2011 I-485 touched/updated

May 27, 2011 Email/txt EAD Card Production

June 1, 2011 Email/txt notification for AOS Interview

June 3, 2011 Email notification EAD Card was mailed

June 7, 2011 EAD Card Received

July 6, 2011 AOS Interview *APPROVED*

Timeline

Hi there I read what you left on my post and I just wanted to thank you personally for your kind words. My dad's death has been nothing but easy on me but Im getting throught it and slowly but surelyIm keeping my head up. Again thank you so much for your words! After talking to a couple people on the phone from USCIS I havbe decided on staying here and AOS through marriage to my boyfriend. We want to start soon so we have to begin our research and boy am I greatful for this website because so many of you have been so nice and helpful and I am truly grateful for it. I hope your journey is going great as well!

-Gina

First let me start by telling you that I wish I could give you a big hug because I know how hard it is to lose a parent. You are grieving for your father right now and that is the source of your pain. Of course, you want to go to him even though he is not there because you need to find relief for your pain. Running to something that is no longer there will cause you greater pain than you can imagine. Hold on tight to the young man who loves you and let him help you through this pain. It will be harder to go through it alone.

When you can and as soon as you can, contact Immigration Services and tell them your situation. Find out what they suggest. You may want to talk to more than one person to see if you get the same answer. Once you get an answer that you trust, then you have to take steps to fix your life. Your father would want you to be safe and sound. He loves you and I know you love him. Find the strength for him. Live a great and wonderful life for him. You will one day walk out into the sunlight, look up, and you will know you made your father proud.

Many blessings.

USCIS

11/02/2011: received Email USCIS Acceptance Confirmation for I-130 I-485 and I-765

Timeline

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYONES KIND WORDS AND NOT ONLY THAT BUT THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE WHO TOLD ME TRUTHFUL WORDS. I HAVE TO KEEP LIVING LIFE AND DO WHAT IS RIGHT. I FEEL A LOT BETTER NOW FROM WHEN I ORIGINALY POSTED THE ORIGINAL MESSEGE AND AFTER MANY TALKS ME AND MY BOYFRIEND ARE GETTING MARRIED. AOS THROUGH MARRIAGE IS SOMETHING IM NOT VERY FAMILIAR WITH BUT I WILL START READING ALL THE FORUMS TO FAMILIARIZE MY SELF WITH ALL THE INFORMATION. AGAIN THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR WORDS!

USCIS

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss.. I know you will find the strength to persevere through this. God bless you..

You said you sent in your original I-94 on a I-130 petition, what happened to that?

And do you have passport stamps as well?

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.