^_^

Gender-creative children? WTF? What will the DFH's think of next?

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

“So it’s a boy, right?” a neighbour calls out as Kathy Witterick walks by, her four month old baby, Storm, strapped to her chest in a carrier.

Each week the woman asks the same question about the baby with the squishy cheeks and feathery blond hair.

Witterick smiles, opens her arms wide, comments on the sunny spring day, and keeps walking.

She’s used to it. The neighbours know Witterick and her husband, David Stocker, are raising a genderless baby. But they don’t pretend to understand it.

While there’s nothing ambiguous about Storm’s genitalia, they aren’t telling anyone whether their third child is a boy or a girl.

“What we noticed is that parents make so many choices for their children. It’s obnoxious,” says Stocker.

“In fact, in not telling the gender of my precious baby, I am saying to the world, ‘Please can you just let Storm discover for him/herself what s (he) wants to be?!.” Witterick writes in an email.

Both come from liberal families. Stocker grew up listening to Free to Be ... You and Me, a 1972 record with a central message of gender neutrality. Witterick remembers her brother mucking around with gender as a teen in the ’80s, wearing lipstick and carrying handbags like David Bowie and Mick Jagger.

Jazz was old enough for school last September, but chose to stay home. “When we would go and visit programs, people — children and adults — would immediately react with Jazz over his gender,” says Witterick, adding the conversation would gravitate to his choice of pink or his hairstyle.

That’s mostly why he doesn’t want to go to school. When asked if it upsets him, he nods, but doesn’t say more.

Instead he grabs a handmade portfolio filled with his drawings and poems. In its pages is a booklet written under his pseudonym, the “Gender Explorer.” In purple and pink lettering, adorned with butterflies, it reads: “Help girls do boy things. Help boys do girl things. Let your kid be whoever they are!”

Diane Ehrensaft is a California-based psychologist and mother of Jesse, a “girlyboy” who turned his trucks into cradles and preferred porcelain dolls over soldiers when he was a child. Her newly published book, Gender Born, Gender Made, is a guide for parents of nonconforming kids.

She believes parents should support gender-creative children, which includes the transgendered, who feel born in the wrong bodies, and gender hybrids, who feel they are part girl and part boy. Then there are gender “smoothies,” who have a blended sense of gender that is purely “them.”

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/babies/article/995112--parents-keep-child-s-gender-secret

Why am I not surprised that this is a "California thing". :whistle:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I feel sorry for thid child....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Haha, I used to live on the East Coast, then I moved to the West Coast, and this seems to be absolutely standard thinking around here. Those children sound like they might be having difficulty integrating with society, which DOES have gender expectations (though maybe not in Cali...)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I posted this in my mommy group and some people's heads near exploded.

Not my cup of tea, but I don't think it's something to get enraged about. I think the parents are brave - I think the most creative minds are borne out of non-traditional environments. Yes, it's weird. So?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

IMO, a child's gender identity isn't something they can define for themselves at a young age. My 3 year old loves to play with cars, and it wasn't something that was encouraged or discouraged. I was not like that at his age. I preferred to draw or color with crayons and build things with blocks. However, dressing a child to intentionally make them look androgynous is just inviting ridicule from other parents and children.

Filed: Timeline

I think it's wonderful. Just smooth out all the rough corners and remove the easily swallowed objects in life, and let the kids explore for themselves. We don't need all those puritanical attitudes and forced gender roles.

...dressing a child to intentionally make them look androgynous is just inviting ridicule from other parents and children.

There will always be insensitive people, but that is no excuse not to try and make a better world.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

IMO, a child's gender identity isn't something they can define for themselves at a young age. My 3 year old loves to play with cars, and it wasn't something that was encouraged or discouraged. I was not like that at his age. I preferred to draw or color with crayons and build things with blocks. However, dressing a child to intentionally make them look androgynous is just inviting ridicule from other parents and children.

Not only ridicule but developmental confusion.

One can only imagine pressures this crackpot will put on the kid.

This mother is like the religious nutcase (without the religion) which warps her kids for life.

Probably forcing equal-time with gender specific toys, clothes and programing.

Who bares the burden of this game?

The kid for the rest of their life.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Not only ridicule but developmental confusion.

One can only imagine pressures this crackpot will put on the kid.

This mother is like the religious nutcase (without the religion) which warps her kids for life.

Who bares the burden of this game?

The kid for the rest of their life.

Do you have any children?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Did you ever catch your son playing with toys that weren't made for boys?

Not my kid but it is absolutely normal... and nothing wrong with that.... unless mom is enforcing it.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Not my kid but it is absolutely normal... and nothing wrong with that.... unless mom is enforcing it.

Were you and your ex-wife on the same page about it or was she more forceful?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Isn't the entire point to abandon notions of "gender specific"?

It is the socially-determined girl/boy dichotomy I presume their intent is to abandon - one ought reasonably conclude that this would not involve "forcing" their child to vacillate between its material extremes.