^_^

Gender-creative children? WTF? What will the DFH's think of next?

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

:thumbs:

I plan to homeschool my kids. Homeschooling has to follow a certain curriculum by the state, and the kids generally score much higher on their exit exams. The advantage is you don't have to have your children engulfed in a sea of idiots and misinformation (anf fyi I've been working in public schools for 2 years now and have met the most... interesting... children and teachers). You can also go above and beyond so much easier. I know my parents let me read scientific journals as a child, and I remember going to the university library and having my dad check out all kinds of things for me in addition to reading their books-- like the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy which I did over 2 weeks one summer at age 7. I mean it was nice. If you could work at your own pace with your children, then you can move on to additional things they may be interested in. I know my parents were nerds, we're nerds, and I am going to do my best to also raise nerds. This is in addition to teaching them about physical education/having them run free/play and be involved in other pursuits. Here elementary children get social studies (history, etc) for 15 minutes twice a week. Science is the same duration and frequency. That is unacceptable to me. In addition, secondary schools are now stopping US history and government here as well. Ridiculous.

I was homeschooled from kindergarten to 4th grade. Then went to private schools(no, we didn't actually have money, other people paid for us). The only thing is that neither of my parents were nerds hehe, and my mom wasn't cut out for teaching me and my sister all day. But she must have done well since she taught us how to read and do math and all that stuff you are supposed to know. We had to take the yearly SATs at a nearby school, while home schooled. I think even with my mom not being the best teacher ever, I scored high and did well in school for the rest of my life. But it depends on the individual child. Me and my sister didn't score the same even with the same mom as teacher. And as for the social part, we weren't isolated. We had church activities, friends and cousins. If we had never seen other kids, I don't think my mom would have done it. She did it because she knew a bunch of people trying it.

I went to a public college and then university after high school.

As for me, even though I turned out more nerdy than the rest of my family, I don't see myself homeschooling my son as of now. I like learning but I don't think I could be a full time teacher. But I also don't like the idea of public school, especially when he is older.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was homeschooled from kindergarten to 4th grade. Then went to private schools(no, we didn't actually have money, other people paid for us). The only thing is that neither of my parents were nerds hehe, and my mom wasn't cut out for teaching me and my sister all day. But she must have done well since she taught us how to read and do math and all that stuff you are supposed to know. We had to take the yearly SATs at a nearby school, while home schooled. I think even with my mom not being the best teacher ever, I scored high and did well in school for the rest of my life. But it depends on the individual child. Me and my sister didn't score the same even with the same mom as teacher. And as for the social part, we weren't isolated. We had church activities, friends and cousins. If we had never seen other kids, I don't think my mom would have done it. She did it because she knew a bunch of people trying it.

I went to a public college and then university after high school.

As for me, even though I turned out more nerdy than the rest of my family, I don't see myself homeschooling my son as of now. I like learning but I don't think I could be a full time teacher. But I also don't like the idea of public school, especially when he is older.

I don't have any homeschooling experience but I do know of families that go that rout and in every case, the kids are doing very well and these parents take their roll very serious, I certainly could not match their discipline.

I know of one lady who has two daughters maybe 10 and 14, she has attendance charts and field days and a phys-ed period. She has the whole School year charted and planned out.

It takes a certain type of person to compartmentalize school and home when they are so close together.

When I was a kid, I never heard of such a thing as home-schoolers. I'm not sure what the growth rate is but it has to be a real drain on the public schools, not only financially but most of these kids are well behaved and studious and would be in the public school too. Their absence lowers the school performance grade.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn