Violet Blue

Telling the truth on medical questionnaire (sexual health)

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I'm new here but have been a lurker for a while reading all the excellent advice. I'm worried because I see on the medical questionnaire that it asks you if you've ever had a sexually transmitted disease. 7 years ago I contracted hpv (genital warts) from the first person I'd slept with, and having only slept with him once. We even used protection, but something they don't tell you is that hpv spreads with or without condom use!! I was quite traumatised by this, and still am to be honest, despite the fact that it was treated and gone years ago. This is something no one knows, I don't even think I've discussed it with my fiance to be honest.

My question is, do I really have to tick yes? And then have to attach the separate form going into detail? All the research I've found says that though hpv does lie dormant in the body, if your body clears it and you have no recurrences for 2 years you are considered free of it. It has been 7 years.

I was diagnosed and treated at a GUM clinic, and I remember ticking the form they give you that says 'I do not want my doctor informed of this'. Will this mean it will not be on my medical record at my gps and therefore I do not have to declare it?

I feel very anxious about having to dredge up all these details again :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Your medical test and the records are not only sole documents establishing you are free from any disease.

Doc appointed by consulate also carry out their medical test.

Another thing to remember knowing lieing on any of the forms can be disaster, so its a wise choice to always tell the truth - it will make your life more easier.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

First, let me say, I am so sorry you had to endure this traumatic experience. It would be advisable for you to disclose the facts as they are with a note from your doctor saying you have not had an outbreak for seven years and are free of them.

I agree with the previous comment, you don't want to keep important information, which could be a problem in the visa process. Also, it would be a good idea to discuss it with your partner, as difficult as it is, you don't have it now, therefore, you have nothing to fear or be ashamed of, it would be good for you to release this burden off of you.

Best of luck with your decision.

There are so many different kinds of HPV and its considered to be a virus. They say 70% of people will get this within their lifetime. So its not something to get upset over.

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

HPV is insanely common and says nothing bad about you as a person. I would absolutely check yes on the form - they probably wouldn't find out, but it's best to just never lie when so much is at stake. Especially since it's a lie for no reason other than the fact that you seem to be a little ashamed of it. I am a healthcare provider and I can tell you that this is something seen every day with every type of person. Work on getting over your shame about this and don't let such an inconsequential matter cause you so much distress when it doesn't need to. It won't have any impact on your application whatsoever.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I can understand since I've recently found out that I have HPV.

I don't have genital worts I just have a low grade change of cells on the cervix and it means (as my doctor explained) that these cells are infected with HPV.

I feel really embarrassed about it as well but my doctor said that it's really hard to prevent it and the sad story is that I discovered it on the PAP smear I did on the same day I went to get the prescription for the vaccines!

Anyways my doctor advised me to keep getting the vaccines since they still protect from other kinds of hpv.(and I already got 2)

There is nothing I can do about it right now except keep checking up on it every 6 months and hopefully it'll go away in about 2 years.

Now my question is: is this going to be a problem for me since it's new in my body even though I don't have any worts or problems?

Should I really declare that I have it? If so, do I need to bring some kind of a note from my doctor stating her findings?

Thanks for your help and support, and Violet you are not alone in this.

I can understand since I've recently found out that I have HPV.

I don't have genital worts I just have a low grade change of cells on the cervix and it means (as my doctor explained) that these cells are infected with HPV.

I feel really embarrassed about it as well but my doctor said that it's really hard to prevent it and the sad story is that I discovered it on the PAP smear I did on the same day I went to get the prescription for the vaccines!

Anyways my doctor advised me to keep getting the vaccines since they still protect from other kinds of hpv.(and I already got 2)

There is nothing I can do about it right now except keep checking up on it every 6 months and hopefully it'll go away in about 2 years.

Now my question is: is this going to be a problem for me since it's new in my body even though I don't have any worts or problems?

Should I really declare that I have it? If so, do I need to bring some kind of a note from my doctor stating her findings?

Thanks for your help and support, and Violet you are not alone in this.

Thats what my fiance and I agreed to do. She had the type that could cause cancer. The clinic she went to cleared it up and will be giving her a report stating so. So we agreed that she should acknowledge it and attach a copy of the report from the clinic.

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well . . me too time a go i find that i have vph and in my medical test i told them i dont have nothing.. they even question me why i dont have kids (i was 29 at that time)..

But everything was good for me . . maybe i do wrong but you never know with the embassy :S

I think when they talk about transmisable diseases they are including mroe serious things. This that can clearly be found in your blood stream during a blood test. The civil surgeon is not a gynocologist. I would put yes because you shouldn't lie but I doubt you will be denied entry into the U.S. based on that. Relax and keep in mind you arent doing anything wrong and your not comng into the states to spread diseases, it's just something that happens.

TIMELINE

Marriage : 2009-03-11

I-130 Sent : 2009-06-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-03

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-25

Interview Date : 2009-11-12

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2009-12-03

US Entry : 2010-02-08

I-130 Approval : 2009-08-25

Port of Entry : JFK

POE Date : 2010-02-08

Got EAD Stamp : Yes,EAD Card

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : MSC Local Office: New York City

Date Filed : 2010-09-23

NOA Date : 2010-09-30

Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-14

Approval Date: 2011-04-19

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: No

Comments : No Interview, just received a notice online that card processing is in completion. step-sons status is currently still showing the same, last touch on 10/20/2011 and no update as of yet.

Employment Authorization Document

Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-14

Approved Date : 2010-12-20

Date Card Received : 2010-12-30

Advance Parole

Date Received : 2010-11-01

HPV is the most common std, and some of my friends had a similar traumatizing experience, so I am sorry to hear it. You should check yes on the form and discuss it with your fiance, but it won't have any effect on your visa. Men are carriers for the disease, and have no symptoms. Most women's bodies are able to clear it by themselves, but it is the disease that leads to cervical cancer (some strains), which is why the CDC here has pushed for giving the hpv vaccine to young girls to prevent cancer. It is one of the oldest stds too, and has many strains, some which cause cancer, some which do nothing, and some which cause warts. Anyway, it is nothing to be ashamed of, and it sounds like yours is cleared. Tell the truth and know that it is not rare at all. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Just a random note, but you should probably tell your fiance about this if you haven't. I am reading your line of "This is something no one knows, I don't even think I've discussed it with my fiance to be honest" to mean you haven't told him yet.

I would be more concerned about keeping a secret like this from your fiance... even more so than the health questionnaire for the Medical Clearance.

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you - I didn't expect any support other than the visa related issue, but clearly there are lots of lovely VJ members. Gands: I'm sorry for your news. Fingers crossed for you that it will just go away on its own as it should, with time. It sounds like yes, you should declare it, and that it shouldn't negatively impact your visa application.

Keka: Glad to know everything went ok for you, it was good to hear of your experience. I am normally an incredibly honest person, there's just something about this that makes me want to forget about it, even though as sciencenerd points out, that's irrational.

I know I should tell my fiancé, and I will. He knows I have very strong views on sexual health. It's just so annoying that I have to tell him over the phone, thousands of miles apart. That's much more difficult: there are so many nuances of communication that are lost over the phone. It's going to be difficult, is all.

So if I tick yes, what documentation do I need to include? How do I go about getting a letter from my doctor, especially if this was treated at a GUM clinic on the other side of the country. Do I have to pay for a letter from the doctor? I guess I am going to have to go into the all details several times with lots of different people by the sounds of it. Seems bizarre that my doctor would give me a letter about something she didn't know I once had??

Thank you - I didn't expect any support other than the visa related issue, but clearly there are lots of lovely VJ members. Gands: I'm sorry for your news. Fingers crossed for you that it will just go away on its own as it should, with time. It sounds like yes, you should declare it, and that it shouldn't negatively impact your visa application.

Keka: Glad to know everything went ok for you, it was good to hear of your experience. I am normally an incredibly honest person, there's just something about this that makes me want to forget about it, even though as sciencenerd points out, that's irrational.

I know I should tell my fiancé, and I will. He knows I have very strong views on sexual health. It's just so annoying that I have to tell him over the phone, thousands of miles apart. That's much more difficult: there are so many nuances of communication that are lost over the phone. It's going to be difficult, is all.

So if I tick yes, what documentation do I need to include? How do I go about getting a letter from my doctor, especially if this was treated at a GUM clinic on the other side of the country. Do I have to pay for a letter from the doctor? I guess I am going to have to go into the all details several times with lots of different people by the sounds of it. Seems bizarre that my doctor would give me a letter about something she didn't know I once had??

Since this is not so serious of a disease you could probably get away with just writing a note acknowledging that you had HPV and were treated at the GUM clinic at whatever date, and sign and date it.

Remember this is a medical and they want to protect your health so its helpful to the doctor to know. For this disease I think doctors recommend women get a PAP test every year. So in the worst case if you haven't gotten one recently he may recommend to get one and it can possibly be in the U.S. when you get there.

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Thanks for everyones support. I feel so relieved after hearing your advises.

My fiance of course knows about it since I just recently found out and he was updated through out the whole process. I actually suspect I got it from him. Funny. Which sucks because we both took std tests and all before getting serious with each other but they can't find HPV on these ones.

Harpa, thanks especially for your answer since you are familiar with the Israeli process. Do you think getting a letter from my treating doctor at Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital (Jerusalem) is enough?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.