spookyturtle

What do you know about the illegal immigrant community in your area?

243 posts in this topic

I'm guessing that many of you live in are area where there is some type of illegal immigrant presence, be it large or small. What do you know about it- how they get jobs, register cars and insure them, make their way into and thru the immigration process etc. Some came on a legal visa and overstayed even though working was supposedly prohibited. Others came across the border, some on their own along with many who used the services of a coyote.

Do you know or have you heard of any who married a US citizen just to get papers, paying the US citizen for services rendered?

Discuss.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

A friend of someone I know (a guy) married his best friend (girl) because she was going to be deported...He is gay and felt it was the right thing to do.

I know of a lot of illegals and they all were guided across the southern border. They have fake IDs and social security numbers...They all work kitchen jobs, get paid by check, taxes come out, and they get tax refunds...Some at McDonalds or coney island.

I don't think they have a real authentic drivers license. The ones I know drive illegally. I think they try to get a legal person to get the car in their name so that the plates and tags are up to code.

These are not personal friends they are former coworkers of my wife.

Interesting and complex web of illegal-ism!

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

I'm guessing that many of you live in are area where there is some type of illegal immigrant presence, be it large or small. What do you know about it- how they get jobs, register cars and insure them, make their way into and thru the immigration process etc. Some came on a legal visa and overstayed even though working was supposedly prohibited. Others came across the border, some on their own along with many who used the services of a coyote.

Do you know or have you heard of any who married a US citizen just to get papers, paying the US citizen for services rendered?

Discuss.

I live in a city where there are many illegal immigrants. Many of the males get jobs in construction or landscaping. Many females work in restaurants. As I was told, just go to any small Mexican restaurant and you can work there. The people I know either buy cars with cash, or get the car in somebody else's name and they just make the payments. There are also some small used car lots that advertise no security card needed; so you can guess who they're targeting with that ad. None that I know have car insurance or a license.

Everybody I know was brought here as a child and grew up here. None have ever paid somebody to marry them.

Edited by B_J

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I don't know of any illegal immigrants, personally and thus, know very little about them or how they operate. Most of my friends in the US are US citizens or other international students on F-1 visas. However, many of them have returned to their home-country post-graduation/visa expiration; some are now attending grad school.

There was this Mexican woman who was hired as a janitor at the school where I work, she couldn't speak a lick of English. However, on the second day when she was asked for work authorization documents, she couldn't produce any and had to be let go. The school's pretty strict on that stuff.

I did hear of one parents talking about one of their friends who married a black woman, twenty years senior to him just so he could AOS off his B-2. It seemed, from her telling, that it was a marriage of convenience where the woman just stayed with him so that he could get his GC. I didn't get the impression that any money exchanged hands.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

I neither know nor care. I am not an employee of the federal government and don't get my jollies by worrying about whether my neighbours are legally present in the US. Of course, I know I'm in the minority on VJ, for many here worrying about the immigration situation of people around them is the number one hobby :thumbs:

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most are coming in through Cnada on their way to warmer places, They immigrate to Canada under more lax policies then cross the border and head south. Haitians for the most part, lately.

They do not register cars or anything else. They get on down to bigger and warmer places.

What few illegals we do have to work here(lowest in the US) are here as migrants to pick apples in the fall. There may be a few working on dairy farms but they would be very few.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I neither know nor care. I am not an employee of the federal government and don't get my jollies by worrying about whether my neighbours are legally present in the US. Of course, I know I'm in the minority on VJ, for many here worrying about the immigration situation of people around them is the number one hobby :thumbs:

Will you pay my share of the taxes that provide them with services?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Will you pay my share of the taxes that provide them with services?

How does that make any sense? People who say such things are normally short on the little grey cells, you do not have that excuse. Policing unauthorized immigration is not my responsibility. The US is not a country where snooping and grassing is part of the culture, for good reason.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

How does that make any sense? People who say such things are normally short on the little grey cells, you do not have that excuse. Policing unauthorized immigration is not my responsibility. The US is not a country where snooping and grassing is part of the culture, for good reason.

I don't know where you live, but where I reside the free emergency medical care comes from the state budget. There are many thousands of illegals in schools here using services that are taxpayer funded. Policing them isn't your personal responsibility, but it affects you in many ways whether you know it or not. You may not care, but many do.

Actually, I don't want to turn this into a for or against thread. I'm really just curious what people actually no about the underground community in their area.

Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

Is the pot calling the kettle black? I haven't seen anything resembling a call for policing unauthorized immigration.......... of course maybe in addition to my apparent deficit of grey matter(as I share Spook's question) I am blind or my reading skills are failing me prematurely. Oh well!

th_Untitled-3.jpg?t=1294114030

03/2008--Met while working together in Mongolia
06/21/10--Married in Ulaanbaatar on the Summer solstice
USCIS
09/06/10--I-130 package mailed to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
12/14/10--NOA2 hardcopy rec'd, Dec 09 notice date<APPROVED>86 Days
NVC
12/22/10-NVC / IIN Number issued, AOS bill paid
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
January4............IV bill paid, discovered error by preparer
USCIS ROUND 2
01/04/11-- I-130 package for stepson sent express with expedite plea
01/11/11---Congressional expedite plea lodged with USCIS
01/20/11--- Notice date, APPROVED 14 days
NVC ROUND 2
01/26/11--- NVC/IIN Numbers issued, DS-3032 Emailed
02/07/11--- AOS/IV packages fedexed to NVC
02/24/11--- Both Cases Completed at NVC
CONSULAR
04/27/11--- Interview passed
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

heart.gif NEW YEAR'S EVE 2011, WE WELCOME OUR BABY GIRL TO THE FAMILYheart.gif

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

How do you determine that someone is present is present in the US without authorization simply by looking at them? I do not have those particular skills and without them I am at a loss to understand how one can honestly answer the questions posed. Making wild accusations based on ethnicity is not my bag even if it is yours.

I have met a few illegals in my time, they were all uniformly nice. One is actually now in the citizenship stage. Another is a sadder case, with a USC toddler and no idea what to do about her overstay situation.

We live in farm country so I am sure I have seen in passing many more. While I agree I likely pay some price for their presence I don't get too upset about it.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

How do you determine that someone is present is present in the US without authorization simply by looking at them? I do not have those particular skills and without them I am at a loss to understand how one can honestly answer the questions posed. Making wild accusations based on ethnicity is not my bag even if it is yours.

If you were out and about in the local community of your non citizen partner's home country group, depending on where they were from, I can guarantee that your eyes would be opened to what goes on right under our noses. Again, some don't care. I'm merely curious what those who frequent this forum actually know. It has nothing to do with accusing someone based on ethnicity. It is apparent by your comments that you either don't know or don't live in an area where it is prevalent.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015