aeryfaery7

What if I Literally cannot provide an affidavit of support?

47 posts in this topic

He is here on an F1, not J1. So no issue with home stay requirement.

Aeryfaery - has he looked into OPT? It stands for Optional Practical Training, and what it basically means is that by applying for OPT he gets to stay here for an additional 12 months after his studies have ended to work in the field he studied. The only caveats are that he has to find someone to hire him, I believe it is within 60 days of when his program officially ends. If he can get a job in his field, then he can buy extra 12 months through OPT and you guys have more time to figure out the sponsor issue.

Edited by Mrs.Finland-USA

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

OPT. I vote for OPT option. If they are not comfortable being apart, and there is a viable option to avoid that, go for it. OPT application is not very expensive, it is pretty much automatically accepted, and he can actually make and save money while on OPT as well with any luck.

However, the rest of the advice is true. If for some reason OPT isn't an option for you, then you will either have to be apart for a while, or go to Pakistan for now.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Because in my person opinion, and that is it my personal opinion and not directed at any one person in particular. I find the idea of not being able to be out of each other's sight for a second more akin to teenage soap opera drama than a real world adult relationship. If you are a mature adult, you need to do what you need to do. If that means you have to suffer the heartache of being apart for a few months while you find a job in the US in order to be able to have a future life in America together for the two of you than do it if there is no alternative.

I think it is romantic and it's ok to love in a way that is akin to teenage soap opera drama. Twilight anyone? (L)

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

He is here on an F1, not J1. So no issue with home stay requirement.

Aeryfaery - has he looked into OPT? It stands for Optional Practical Training, and what it basically means is that by applying for OPT he gets to stay here for an additional 12 months after his studies have ended to work in the field he studied. The only caveats are that he has to find someone to hire him, I believe it is within 60 days of when his program officially ends. If he can get a job in his field, then he can buy extra 12 months through OPT and you guys have more time to figure out the sponsor issue.

I will look into it, thank you so very much for that info! I am sure we will figure something out.

I think it is romantic and it's ok to love in a way that is akin to teenage soap opera drama. Twilight anyone? (L)

Is it romantic? Yes. Is it practical from a legal and immigration standpoint? No.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Because in my person opinion, and that is it my personal opinion and not directed at any one person in particular. I find the idea of not being able to be out of each other's sight for a second more akin to teenage soap opera drama than a real world adult relationship where consequences and rules exist. If you are a mature adult, you need to do what you need to do. If that means you have to suffer the heartache of being apart for a few months while you find a job in the US in order to be able to have a future life in America together for the two of you than do it if there is no alternative.

Bottom line, you need an affidavit of support.

1. Find someone to be co-sponsor

2. Find a good job really quickly

3. Stop the process and both pick up and move to Pakistan

4. He goes back to Pakistan, you stay and earn money and file for a spousal visa later.

Those are your options. Take it or leave it, this is the choice you have made.

It isn't about being teenage soap opera... it is about us making a commitment to each other to be by each other's sides no matter what...and also religiously, culturally, and my personal feelings and how I was brought up, I do not want to live half a world away from him. I could do it, but I do not wish to. We are both Muslim, I converted a year ago and I feel that we are to be together no matter what happens, if that means "Packing up and leaving" then fine. I am looking for alternatives here and answers, not to have my relationship compared to a teenage soap opera.

So thank you for the cold hard advice,,,but I am going to look into begging my aunt and the OPT option. Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

He's on the F-1 Visa until June. I mean, it's not the end of the world if we can't do it now, I mean, we are young and have lots of life ahead of us...it's just that my parents are severely sick and I need to know that we can travel back and forth in our futures to take care of them.

Whew! Ok, I was just worried it might be a J1 when you mentioned the scholarship. J1's often come with a requirement that the alien return to their home country for two years before they can immigrate to the US, especially if their education was funded by somebody else.

Ok, here's the deal. You cannot complete the AOS process unless you can submit a sufficient affidavit of support, or you can find a joint sponsor who can do so. You can sit around and wait for the AOS petition to be denied, or you can just withdraw the petition now. He'll be out of status when his F1 visa expires in June. Fortunately, he'll still be eligible to adjust status as an immediate relative of a US citizen, even if his status has expired. There are people who have been out of status for years and still adjusted status without any problems. It's simply not a relevant factor for an immediate relative of a US citizen.

In other words, if you really HAD to, you could wait until you have enough income to provide a sufficient affidavit of support. $18,387 per year is not as much as it sounds like. A full-time job at $9 an hour would be enough to clear this much.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello! I am a U.S. citizen born and raised. I met my husband at my University during my freshman year and we've been together for four years, married for 2 years. He came to the U.S. on a student visa and we are just now filing for his green card. The process is going well, but then we are told we have to provide an affidavit of support. I can't do that. I am a full time college student and work a part time work study job on campus. I am the only person in my entire family who is making anything out of myself. No one in my family makes enough money to sign or co-sign and I don't know anyone who would be willing to help.

I love my husband so very much, and when we got married we didn't even think about the green card process until about a year after we were married. We are both very hard working and I can't bear to be separated form him for even a moment. Can we be denied his Green Card if I literally do not have anyone to help us? We've never asked for government help, and we aren't above doing grunt work to pay our taxes and bills. I graduate University next year but his visa expires this summer. I am so wracked with worry. We go in for his fingerprinting appointment tomorrow morning so maybe I can ask someone at the office about this.

He's applied for the work permit and we pray he gets it but until then, we are stuck. What do you suggest I do?

I used my student loan funds towards the poverty line for our CR1 and we passed thru NVC. Can't you use yours?

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hello! I am a U.S. citizen born and raised. I met my husband at my University during my freshman year and we've been together for four years, married for 2 years. He came to the U.S. on a student visa and we are just now filing for his green card. The process is going well, but then we are told we have to provide an affidavit of support. I can't do that. I am a full time college student and work a part time work study job on campus. I am the only person in my entire family who is making anything out of myself. No one in my family makes enough money to sign or co-sign and I don't know anyone who would be willing to help.

I love my husband so very much, and when we got married we didn't even think about the green card process until about a year after we were married. We are both very hard working and I can't bear to be separated form him for even a moment. Can we be denied his Green Card if I literally do not have anyone to help us? We've never asked for government help, and we aren't above doing grunt work to pay our taxes and bills. I graduate University next year but his visa expires this summer. I am so wracked with worry. We go in for his fingerprinting appointment tomorrow morning so maybe I can ask someone at the office about this.

He's applied for the work permit and we pray he gets it but until then, we are stuck. What do you suggest I do?

Do you have any assets? House? Property? this can be used to reach the 125% requirement.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Do you have any assets? House? Property? this can be used to reach the 125% requirement.

We have one car...and about 4,000 in savings...that's it. We are both college students and work part time, it's hard to have assets when you come from nothing and all your hard earned cash goes towards rent and education.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

We have one car...and about 4,000 in savings...that's it. We are both college students and work part time, it's hard to have assets when you come from nothing and all your hard earned cash goes towards rent and education.

Keep in mind if he lives with you and is working, and that employment is expected to continue in the future, you can use his income on the affidavit of support also. That's what my wife and I did - I was here on a work visa when we filed.

I'm not sure if it will work the same with OPT, but I was here in Tn status which was also a 1 year work status back then. It's a possibility you may wan't to look into if the OPT works out.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Keep in mind if he lives with you and is working, and that employment is expected to continue in the future, you can use his income on the affidavit of support also. That's what my wife and I did - I was here on a work visa when we filed.

I'm not sure if it will work the same with OPT, but I was here in Tn status which was also a 1 year work status back then. It's a possibility you may wan't to look into if the OPT works out.

Thank you for the insight...but his employment ends when he graduates because he's only allowed to work on campus as long as he is a student there. Since he graduates in less than 2 months, the OPT is our only option. If we get the I-765 approved then we can combine incomes to make up the difference and like I said, I have an aunt I can try to get help from for co-signing.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you for the insight...but his employment ends when he graduates because he's only allowed to work on campus as long as he is a student there. Since he graduates in less than 2 months, the OPT is our only option. If we get the I-765 approved then we can combine incomes to make up the difference and like I said, I have an aunt I can try to get help from for co-signing.

To use your husbands income, I agree OPT is the best option.

You can tell your aunt if she co-signs and your husband finds employment with the EAD before your interview, you will take an updated affidavit of support to your interview.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.