phillip watkins

small income and no co sponsor

41 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Slovakia
Timeline

If I am not mistaken, the embassy in the Philippines does not allow co-sponsors for K1.

I have seen that posted many times by various members. Make sure you check the local portal and find out if this is 100% true or not.

Sounds like your best option, as others have said, is to work more hours or get something else part-time in addition to your full-time job. I know that's often easier said than done.

My income last year was below the requirement by about $1,000 because I was in school full-time and worked half the year part-time - so not bad considering I only worked 20 hours a week most of the year. I'm now working 60 hours a week between 2 jobs and have been doing so since January. I would not ask my family to co-sponsor my fiancee, so it's all on me, which keeps me motivated anyway. I'd recommend you look for part-time work in addition to what you're already doing and work as many hours as you can - in 6 months time, you'll probably be pulling in at least $400/week, which is over the requirement for 2 people. You have time to make it happen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The advice above is all good. Think ahead. Marriage is expensive, and children even more so. The idea of pursuing training for a better-paying career (vs. just "jobs") is something to consider.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

I am a usa citizen by birth. My dads family lives in the Philippines. I visited 2009 till ealry 2010. I live with my mother in Kentucky now. I personally do not make enough income to get my finance here. That is my main thought. My mother is supported by my very rich aunt her house ect. Mom has no income. I work fastfood. I have NOONE that can co sponsor. what can i do? iThank you

Seriously, don't get married. I don't know how old you are but from the sound of it, you are young and have a lot of years ahead of you before jumping into marriage. If you can't support yourself, how do you expect to support a wife and family? The K1 visa process will cost over $1,000 once its said and done.

Seriously, don't get married. I don't know how old you are but from the sound of it, you are young and have a lot of years ahead of you before jumping into marriage. If you can't support yourself, how do you expect to support a wife and family? The K1 visa process will cost over $1,000 once its said and done.

i have had a wife and daughter she is 6 now. i have more than 1,000 right now lets not forget atm i live with my mother so 100% of my income is saved. there is a whole naion of people with children and wives/husband that arenot rich. You see them daily went you get your gas, your trip to walmart, the store the resturane, the grocery store, thelst goes on and on they all have familys. the riches in life are not found in money. Jesus has blessed me.

i have had a wife and daughter she is 6 now. i have more than 1,000 right now lets not forget atm i live with my mother so 100% of my income is saved. there is a whole naion of people with children and wives/husband that arenot rich. You see them daily went you get your gas, your trip to walmart, the store the resturane, the grocery store, thelst goes on and on they all have familys. the riches in life are not found in money. Jesus has blessed me.

the term support is relative to you it mean something differnt than to me and it means something differnt to the next man? what do you think that my 7 per hour can do in the philipines? will she be better with a man that is on "stand by" or works for 50 peso a day? she worked in a shoe factory. the the center of a family is not money but is God that si what sad. when is it enough there is always more to gain. she is now supported more than she was before me i have paid for 1 year of school already. Now is summer and tring to work it out not to be part over money.

Edited by phillip watkins

One's wealth was never an issue that I brought up. If you want to bring your fiance over to the States, then you have to follow the same guidelines as everyone else and have proof of income over 125% the poverty level. If you want to be with your wife, there's no reason that you can't choose to move to the Philippines and be happy there.

You are right that the riches in life are not found in money but unfortunately, its a necessity to put gas in your car, buy items in walmart and dine in restaurants.

can my income plus the co sponsor imcome together be over work even if there alone is not?

You need to consider that first, Manila is a notoriously picky embassy, and second, even with a co-sponsor (which usually has to be a close relative to be accepted) they will likely also judge your financial standing - meaning even if your co-sponsor's income is sufficient, they might question why yours isn't.

The bottom line is that they want to make sure your fiancee will not become a public charge while in the US - and if your income isn't sufficient to prove that for whatever reason (low pay, limited training, high unemployment in your area) they will likely think you can't financially support your fiancee once she arrives. You might want to consider that you (and a co-sponsor, if you choose to take that route) will be required to show sufficient income to provide for you, PLUS your fiancee, PLUS your child - which raises the requirement level even higher. I think you should ask yourself if you feel you can financially provide for those people that will/already depend on you, because they will DEFINITELY be asking you that (and I don't mean that disrespectful in any regards).

You mentioned that 100% of your income is saved - if you have saved a substantial amount, you may be able to offset your low income with assets - but again, that depends on how much you currently make and how much you have stashed away. Just an option.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

what I might also suggest is that you think of getting two jobs to get your income up. If you love her you really dont want to bring her over her unless you can really provide for her

Timeline:

Meetings (dating)in Person Aug 2009/Nov 2009/Jan 2010/Jun 2010 (Engaged!)

VSC

Sep 7th 2010 I-129F Submitted

Sep 9th 2010 NOA1 Received via Text

Sep 10th 2010 I-129F Accepted

Sep 2010 5th meeting in person

Oct 3rd 2010 Touched

Feb 2011 6th meeting arranged (spending Valentine's together)

Mar 17 2011 NOA2 @09:59 am Thank You St Patty! It only took 6 months 1 week 1 day

NVC

Mar 24th NVC Receives I-129F Petition

Mar 28th Case Number Assigned

Mar 29th File shipped to Manila

Manila Embassy

Apr 1 Receives Case File

Apr 6 Medical - Sputum test required

Apr 12 Begin 3 day Sputum test at St Lukes

Jun 13th medical sputum cleared / Jun 14th Medical completed

Jun 27 Interview - Visa Approved!!

Jul 14th VISA Packet Received : ) Finally! 310 days from submittal to VISA in hand

3 months 1 week and 3 days from NOA2 approval to Embassy Approval

Aug 9th Fiancee arrives in USA at POE Honolulu Hi

Aug 11th Tony and Jubi have a Beautiful Wedding in Hawaii

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 18 Nov 2011/USPS-confirmed delivery 23 Nov/Check Cashed - 29 Nov

20 Jan 2012 EAD and AP Approved txt msg received

14 Mar 2012 RFE for AoS / 3 Apr 2012 RFE info recv by USCIS /11 Apr 2012 AoS Approved

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Is this rich aunt willing to be a co-sponsor?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You need to consider that first, Manila is a notoriously picky embassy, and second, even with a co-sponsor (which usually has to be a close relative to be accepted) they will likely also judge your financial standing - meaning even if your co-sponsor's income is sufficient, they might question why yours isn't.

The bottom line is that they want to make sure your fiancee will not become a public charge while in the US - and if your income isn't sufficient to prove that for whatever reason (low pay, limited training, high unemployment in your area) they will likely think you can't financially support your fiancee once she arrives. You might want to consider that you (and a co-sponsor, if you choose to take that route) will be required to show sufficient income to provide for you, PLUS your fiancee, PLUS your child - which raises the requirement level even higher. I think you should ask yourself if you feel you can financially provide for those people that will/already depend on you, because they will DEFINITELY be asking you that (and I don't mean that disrespectful in any regards).

You mentioned that 100% of your income is saved - if you have saved a substantial amount, you may be able to offset your low income with assets - but again, that depends on how much you currently make and how much you have stashed away. Just an option.

If it weren't Manila, a lot of what you write above would be meaningful. Unfortunately for the OP, it IS Manila, and although they sometimes will accept a well qualified close relative as a co-sponsor, it's almost always for young adults just about to or who have just graduated from college and have great prospects. I've NEVER seen them accept a cosponsor in a K1 visa case where the need is as a result of nothing more than underemployment or low income.

In a SPOUSE case, they MUST accept a "joint sponsor" and when part of the same household, the you can combine income (and household size) to qualify.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.