2Complicated

Did my co-sponsor mess up?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

So, my co-sponsor (my dad) has never met my fiance. My dad is nervous about giving about his personal information to anyone. We flew out to Panama so I could hand deliver the copy of my I-129F packet and I-134, and so that my dad can meet my fiance before we get married. However, while in Panama, my dad asked to look at the papers one more time. He got a pen and added on to question 11. Now it reads: Room and board and incidentals that may arise until no longer need, or separation or divorce. Is this okay? Or did my dad lessen our chances of my fiance getting approved when he has his interview? Should I have my dad read-do his papers? I appreciate any advice.

09/28/10: I-129F packet sent Fed-Ex to Dallas Lockbox

10/01/10: I-129F packet received in Vermont

10/06/10: NOA1

10/07/10: Check cashed

10/13/10: Touched

03/25/11: NOA2

04/06/11: Packet left NVC

04/20/11: Papers from embassy

05/09/11: Turned in papers, received interview date, medical

05/31/11: Interview: Request court document

06/06/11: Brought requested paper, ANOTHER court document requested

06/13/11: Brought requested paper, embassy called to schedule appointment

06/16/11: Denied, but told he's eligible for a waiver

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The consulate may choose to reject the forms which means no visa. If accepted , you still need to file AOS which means him signing the I 864 or your then husband will have to leave. You need to have a talk to your father about the importance of the form but of the remote possibility that he will ever be held accountable for his pledge. If your spouse to be has an education make sure to remind him that he is coming to the US to have a better life not to live off welfare.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am not sure it matters for I-134, but it may cause raised eyebrows, because it could be interpreted as your dad not believing you will stay together.

Do you plan on using your dad for AOS too? Because he will NOT be able to do that for the I-864, which is legally binding.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So, my co-sponsor (my dad) has never met my fiance. My dad is nervous about giving about his personal information to anyone. We flew out to Panama so I could hand deliver the copy of my I-129F packet and I-134, and so that my dad can meet my fiance before we get married. However, while in Panama, my dad asked to look at the papers one more time. He got a pen and added on to question 11. Now it reads: Room and board and incidentals that may arise until no longer need, or separation or divorce. Is this okay? Or did my dad lessen our chances of my fiance getting approved when he has his interview? Should I have my dad read-do his papers? I appreciate any advice.

If they read that statement then I would expect they'll reject his affidavit of support.

When they accept an I-134 affidavit of support from a joint sponsor it's because they expect that joint sponsor will step up to the plate when it's time to sign the legally binding I-864 affidavit of support, after the beneficiary arrives in the US, marries, and applies for a green card. The obligations of the I-864 do not end with separation or divorce.

I expect they will view that statement as an affirmation that your father will not accept the obligations that come with signing an I-864, and will not be available as a joint sponsor for the green card application. It really doesn't matter if you intend to use your father as a joint sponsor for the green card application. The consulate will presume you intend to do so. Maybe you should have a talk with your father. INA 213A spells out the obligations of a sponsor who signs an affidavit of support. Your father doesn't have the privilege of dictating his own terms. If he doesn't express a willingness to accept those obligations then the consulate won't accept his affidavit.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

Okay, this helps a lot. I'm definitely going to talk with my dad. He's going to re-do the papers or I'll just get a different co-sponsor. I don't want to take any chances. Thanks for the help!

09/28/10: I-129F packet sent Fed-Ex to Dallas Lockbox

10/01/10: I-129F packet received in Vermont

10/06/10: NOA1

10/07/10: Check cashed

10/13/10: Touched

03/25/11: NOA2

04/06/11: Packet left NVC

04/20/11: Papers from embassy

05/09/11: Turned in papers, received interview date, medical

05/31/11: Interview: Request court document

06/06/11: Brought requested paper, ANOTHER court document requested

06/13/11: Brought requested paper, embassy called to schedule appointment

06/16/11: Denied, but told he's eligible for a waiver

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Okay, this helps a lot. I'm definitely going to talk with my dad. He's going to re-do the papers or I'll just get a different co-sponsor. I don't want to take any chances. Thanks for the help!

He only needs to do the last page again and mail it to your fiance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.