gigglingolive

almost 4 years and still waiting I-485

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I am not really sure where to post this but i hope this is alright. i am just so frustrated and at the end of my rope with no hope left. I was just so young and naive going into this thing thinking that these people...these USCIS workers had to be highly educated people that work for the government and knew what they were doing. Man have i ever been wrong and stupid. Every time i get so mad and just want to yell at these people but i get scared because our life is in their hands and i fear they could just take my husband ...my love..away from me. I hate that they have this control over our lives and there is nothing we can do about it.

Ok i will give you a quick run down of our process and all the bull #######...

I am an american citizen by birth in North Carolina and my husband his from South Korea. He came here on a K-1 Visa with no problems on March 20th 2007. All the paper work and process of that went very smoothly. We got married on April 12 2007 and sent out all our paper work for AOS on May 9 2007. Everything seemed to be going fine until we got a letter telling us that our case has been sent to the California Service Center to speed up our processing on July 19 2007. Instead of speeding up our process ..it went to a dead STOP basically. We have not received any other notice from them about our case since then.

I don't know how many times we have called that stupid number that is suppose to help us. The person on the the phone knows nothing...they are useless. All we got was...

"oh yes your case is passed the timeline we will send a letter to inform them and you will get something in the mail"

all we ever got in the mail was a letter telling us to wait 30 days and if nothing happens call again......wait 6 months and call again....just wait and wait and wait...

this was when i thought the only way to get something done was to call that number that was all i knew to do....then we finally got a letter telling us about INFO PASS...man i hate that we didn't know of this before...i wish the people on the phone would have told us about it before.

So we had our first Info Pass last year on March 24 2010. This was not a good meeting but at the time we felt like " well at least something is being done"...HA as if...now we know that guy was an idiot.

He basically told us that the people at the California Service Center had digitized our paper work with out approving it. Which is stupid because you should not digitize it until it has been approved. He then tells us that the computer software that they use is not user friendly so he can not look at it so they have to print it all back out and it will take a very long time maybe 6 months or more. Then they will be able to view our case and make their decision. Also adding in that since it has been so long we might have to do somethings again. So he basically told us that the CSC was full of idiots but now we know that the North Carolina Info Pass people are not to bright either. We left there very angry but what could we do. So we were back to the waiting game but at least we knew something was being done. Ha ha ha stupid us!!!

I have wanted to live in another state for some time cause i have lived in NC my whole life and wanted to experience something new. I was afraid of moving cause i thought it would mess up our processing time and i didn't want to delay it any more than it had been already. But after 3 years of waiting I gave up on that and we decided to move to Portland Oregon. We could not find an apartment there so ended up in Vancouver Washington in the end of October of last year. After we got settled in and living our life we figured it was time to make another Info Pass cause it had almost been a year and still no word.

So we had our second Info Pass in Portland this time on January 25 2011. This guy was more helpful and he gave us real HOPE again but now i am not so sure.

We told him what the last guy said and he looked at us like that was the stupidest thing he has ever heard. Then he looked up our case and found that YES it had been digitized and then with a click click click he was able to view our paper work. Then comes the shocking truth...our I-485 had been APPROVED on July 31st 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the person who approved it forgot to do one little detail and update it on the computer from processing to approved. So every time the people we called and talked to on the phone only has access to that part so all they could see was that we were still being processed. So this one mistake from the person has cost us almost 4 years of waiting...plus all the EAD cards we have had to pay for...plus the medical bill that we are still paying off that we couldn't get help with cause they told us that if he was illegal they could help us or if he had a green card but since he is just processing...sorry. Plus he hasn't been able to go home to South Korea to visit his family in 4 years. Plus all the frustration, tears, headaches, and stress of it all...I really hate that person!!

At least there is some good news in all that...he has been approved!

We waited about an hour while Mark , our Infopass guy, made phone calls trying to fix this huge mistake. Supposedly only the person that approved the file can update the computer...which i think is stupid. He couldn't get any thing done in that hour cause everyone is saying " I didn't do it" so he felt it is going to take some time but he will work on it all week. I left there filled with so much love and hope in this Mark guy cause i really felt he was the one that is going to end this for us.

But then 2 weeks roll by...nothing. With my hope draining i called him up on February 7th to see what is going on. He informed me that he had been gone a week with a funeral and that it was his first day back so he has not had a chance to look in on our case but that he did send a letter to the CSC and will check up on it and call me back when he knows something.

Now 2 more weeks have rolled by and it has been a month since our Info Pass and I am so frustrated. I have tired calling him 3 other times but only got his answer machine. I am going to be calling him again this morning and just hoping ..1 get to talk to him and ...2 god news.

So everyone going through this process please know that these people don't know what they are doing and some are just idiots. I hope no one has to go through this but i am sure that many have had problems with the USCIS and hate them just as much as we do. But what can we do really...just keep being punished for their mistakes.

We have 2 months left before he has to apply for his 5th EAD and damn it I hope we don't have to. The day that he finally gets his Greencard will be the happiest day of our lives...I think I might die from happiness with all this stress lifted away all at once.

05-05-2003 met Hyun Suk while working in Alaska

06-17-2003 Started dating

09-05-2003 1st separation

10-10-2003 Hyun Suk's first time to NC..stays almost 3 months...met my family

01-28-2004 1st time in Korea for 1 month..met his family

02-28-2004 2nd separation

08-31-2005 Hyun Suk graduates collage

09-07-2005 2nd time in Korea for 3 months...finally seeing each other again after 1 1/2 years

09-20-2005 Engaged!!!!

12-03-2005 3rd separation

04-27-2006 sent off I-129F

05-11-2006 NOA1

06-29-2006 IMBRA RFE

07-31-2006 NOA2!!!

08-17-2006 Letter from NVC that they got my APPROVED petition

08-22-2006 Packet 3 emailed to me

10-15-2006 leaving for korea for 3 weeks

10-19-2006 Interview date-APPROVED

10-21-2006 1st Wedding... KOREAN STYLE !!!!

03-20-2007 Hyun Suk finally in my arms again

04-12-2007 Second Wedding...finally Married..our little court wedding

04-20-2007 Civil Surgeon

05-09-2007 mailed AOS/EAD papers

05-15-2007 NOA1 for AOS/EAD

05-18-2007 got Biometrics appt letter for 6-7-07 11am

06-07-2007 Charlotte for Biometrics Appointment

06-07-2007 RFE

06-27-2007 Evidence mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think we can all sympathize with you about the process being very frustrating. But, you have endured much more than most of us have to.

I hope things will finally get sorted out and that you can move forward with your lives.

Best wishes and good luck!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This has got to be the most messed up case I have seen in some time. Why have you not gotten congressional office involved, their liaison should be able to shake trees better than you.

What really sucks is in all likelyhood the resulting card will still be a 2 year conditional card, even with more than 2 years of marriage, the approval happened way back in 2007, also knowing USCIS, they will hit you fo not filing to remove conditions within 90 days prior to July 2009.

I would seriously lawyer up, and see about suing them for this stupidity. With enough hammering you may get a 10 year un-conditional card out of this screw-up.

I would also see if you can sue at some point, this is ridiculous. Regardless, though, it's way past time to call your representative in congress. Call them today and tell them your story. They should be able to make something happen for you. Sorry this is been such an ordeal - I can't imagine.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am not really sure where to post this but i hope this is alright. i am just so frustrated and at the end of my rope with no hope left. I was just so young and naive going into this thing thinking that these people...these USCIS workers had to be highly educated people that work for the government and knew what they were doing. Man have i ever been wrong and stupid. Every time i get so mad and just want to yell at these people but i get scared because our life is in their hands and i fear they could just take my husband ...my love..away from me. I hate that they have this control over our lives and there is nothing we can do about it.

Ok i will give you a quick run down of our process and all the bull #######...

I am an american citizen by birth in North Carolina and my husband his from South Korea. He came here on a K-1 Visa with no problems on March 20th 2007. All the paper work and process of that went very smoothly. We got married on April 12 2007 and sent out all our paper work for AOS on May 9 2007. Everything seemed to be going fine until we got a letter telling us that our case has been sent to the California Service Center to speed up our processing on July 19 2007. Instead of speeding up our process ..it went to a dead STOP basically. We have not received any other notice from them about our case since then.

I don't know how many times we have called that stupid number that is suppose to help us. The person on the the phone knows nothing...they are useless. All we got was...

"oh yes your case is passed the timeline we will send a letter to inform them and you will get something in the mail"

all we ever got in the mail was a letter telling us to wait 30 days and if nothing happens call again......wait 6 months and call again....just wait and wait and wait...

this was when i thought the only way to get something done was to call that number that was all i knew to do....then we finally got a letter telling us about INFO PASS...man i hate that we didn't know of this before...i wish the people on the phone would have told us about it before.

So we had our first Info Pass last year on March 24 2010. This was not a good meeting but at the time we felt like " well at least something is being done"...HA as if...now we know that guy was an idiot.

He basically told us that the people at the California Service Center had digitized our paper work with out approving it. Which is stupid because you should not digitize it until it has been approved. He then tells us that the computer software that they use is not user friendly so he can not look at it so they have to print it all back out and it will take a very long time maybe 6 months or more. Then they will be able to view our case and make their decision. Also adding in that since it has been so long we might have to do somethings again. So he basically told us that the CSC was full of idiots but now we know that the North Carolina Info Pass people are not to bright either. We left there very angry but what could we do. So we were back to the waiting game but at least we knew something was being done. Ha ha ha stupid us!!!

I have wanted to live in another state for some time cause i have lived in NC my whole life and wanted to experience something new. I was afraid of moving cause i thought it would mess up our processing time and i didn't want to delay it any more than it had been already. But after 3 years of waiting I gave up on that and we decided to move to Portland Oregon. We could not find an apartment there so ended up in Vancouver Washington in the end of October of last year. After we got settled in and living our life we figured it was time to make another Info Pass cause it had almost been a year and still no word.

So we had our second Info Pass in Portland this time on January 25 2011. This guy was more helpful and he gave us real HOPE again but now i am not so sure.

We told him what the last guy said and he looked at us like that was the stupidest thing he has ever heard. Then he looked up our case and found that YES it had been digitized and then with a click click click he was able to view our paper work. Then comes the shocking truth...our I-485 had been APPROVED on July 31st 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the person who approved it forgot to do one little detail and update it on the computer from processing to approved. So every time the people we called and talked to on the phone only has access to that part so all they could see was that we were still being processed. So this one mistake from the person has cost us almost 4 years of waiting...plus all the EAD cards we have had to pay for...plus the medical bill that we are still paying off that we couldn't get help with cause they told us that if he was illegal they could help us or if he had a green card but since he is just processing...sorry. Plus he hasn't been able to go home to South Korea to visit his family in 4 years. Plus all the frustration, tears, headaches, and stress of it all...I really hate that person!!

At least there is some good news in all that...he has been approved!

We waited about an hour while Mark , our Infopass guy, made phone calls trying to fix this huge mistake. Supposedly only the person that approved the file can update the computer...which i think is stupid. He couldn't get any thing done in that hour cause everyone is saying " I didn't do it" so he felt it is going to take some time but he will work on it all week. I left there filled with so much love and hope in this Mark guy cause i really felt he was the one that is going to end this for us.

But then 2 weeks roll by...nothing. With my hope draining i called him up on February 7th to see what is going on. He informed me that he had been gone a week with a funeral and that it was his first day back so he has not had a chance to look in on our case but that he did send a letter to the CSC and will check up on it and call me back when he knows something.

Now 2 more weeks have rolled by and it has been a month since our Info Pass and I am so frustrated. I have tired calling him 3 other times but only got his answer machine. I am going to be calling him again this morning and just hoping ..1 get to talk to him and ...2 god news.

So everyone going through this process please know that these people don't know what they are doing and some are just idiots. I hope no one has to go through this but i am sure that many have had problems with the USCIS and hate them just as much as we do. But what can we do really...just keep being punished for their mistakes.

We have 2 months left before he has to apply for his 5th EAD and damn it I hope we don't have to. The day that he finally gets his Greencard will be the happiest day of our lives...I think I might die from happiness with all this stress lifted away all at once.

This should be a sackable offense for this USCIS worker. It is just wrong and I have never heard of such a pathetic excuse for holding your husband up. They are just ####### but I do wish you luck and hope that he gets GC soon.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Get a lawyer!!!

I'm sure this type of thing happens more or less all the time.

If USA government had better system, both to train the government employees and the processing system, America could be in a much better place than what it is today.

When it comes to the government, everyone tells you different stories, those employees have their own rules. You have no idea whose are the correct ones.

America Immigration should done much better job than what they do now.

I prey that God look after all of us to obtain GC sooner and smoothly.

XH

plus all the EAD cards we have had to pay for.

Since the error was on USCIS - you might be able to recover some of these fee's.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

See a lawyer and speak to your senator/congressman about this. I would apply to get ALL the EAD fees back and request a 10 year card.

Wow. That's insane.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
What really sucks is in all likelyhood the resulting card will still be a 2 year conditional card, even with more than 2 years of marriage, the approval happened way back in 2007, also knowing USCIS, they will hit you fo not filing to remove conditions within 90 days prior to July 2009.

I would seriously lawyer up, and see about suing them for this stupidity. With enough hammering you may get a 10 year un-conditional card out of this screw-up.

This kind of situation in life is not when you sit back and play the nicey nicey Southern Belle. This is a time in your life when you go all super hero crazy B*&^% on them, get your money back, get a 10 year unconditional, and if ONE single ONE of those people tell you no, you get a lawyer and sue the ####### out of them. You get them for numerous EAD fees, you get them for any lost work he had because you were waiting on EAD processing, you get them on GAS for driving to appointments, and most of all you get them for mental anguish.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't think I would have waited that long before retaining a competent immigration attorney to raise hell.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.