James And Oksana

Will Centers Operate During Government Shutdown

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It would appear as though the federal government is headed toward a path of shutdown. I know we pay fees for our petitions and some suggest it is fully funded by these fees, but does anyone know for sure if the service centers will remain working on petitions should the federal government shutdown?

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

It would appear as though the federal government is headed toward a path of shutdown. I know we pay fees for our petitions and some suggest it is fully funded by these fees, but does anyone know for sure if the service centers will remain working on petitions should the federal government shutdown?

Quoted from this article:

"Hundreds of thousands of visa and passport applications went unprocessed as some passport agencies shut down while others operated with minimal staff."

Referring to what happened the last time the government shut down.

Not very specific, but... not exactly hope insipiring.

Edited by TwoCats

kitsig.jpg

K-1 Visa/ AOS Timeline:
(Detailed info on our timeline can be found here: About us)

ROC Timeline:

02/10/2014 - ROC Sent.

02/12/2014 - NOA1 Date.

03/11/2014 - Biometrics Date.

05/28/2014 - Card Production.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to hijack or anything.. but what would happen to people who need to or are applying for ROC and it shut down. Would they just lose their status and ability to work etc? It would be pretty devastating.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Technically, since these applications are mandated to be funded through user fees only and not through tax based dollars there should be no reason why these processes shouldn't continue. Now, whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen - but the fact that tax based dollars are not allowed to be used in these processes was the reason USCIS used to justify the immense fee hikes several years ago. If they stop work, I hope some legal eagle claims 'foul'.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Technically, since these applications are mandated to be funded through user fees only and not through tax based dollars there should be no reason why these processes shouldn't continue. Now, whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen - but the fact that tax based dollars are not allowed to be used in these processes was the reason USCIS used to justify the immense fee hikes several years ago. If they stop work, I hope some legal eagle claims 'foul'.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

We are paying the fees to be with our family members. Even though that means we have to be tight on money. Forgetting about some things that we wanted and trying to even save on some things that we needed. We endure it just to be with the people we love. It's totally not fair. If that happens, I am really hoping that someone here (someone eagle like you said since we can't pay a lawyer) will help us all...

October 2008 - we first met each other at work (Makati, Philippines)

February 2010 - we finally admitted that we are in love (yay!)

Mar 18-Apr 5, 2010 - hubby went to the Philippines for vacation to celebrate his birthday

March 31, 2010 - engagement day!! yay!!

August 21-29, 2010 - hubby went back again to PH for the wedding prep

October 19-November 2, 2010 - hubby arrived in PH for our wedding :)

October 23, 2010 - WEDDING DAY!!

March 18-28, 2011 - hubby's visit to Philippines for his bday (2nd bday together)

USCIS Stage - 136 days for USCIS journey

December 2, 2010 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

December 6, 2010 - I-130 received!! yay!!

December 13, 2010 - NOA1 text message received!

December 16, 2010 - NOA1 hard copy received in the mail

April 28, 2011 - NOA2!!! Thank you LORD!

NVC Stage - 21 days for NVC journey

May 2, 2011 - NOA2 hard copy received in the mail; NVC received our case

May 6, 2011 - Case number and IIN ; DS3230 sent by beneficiary through email to NVC

May 10, 2011 - AOS bill invoiced and paid

May 13, 2011 - IV bill generated and paid

May 16, 2011 - IV bill shows "PAID" ; AOS and DS230 packets sent to NVC

May 18, 2011 - NVC received both packets

May 19, 2011 - Medical exam - PASSED!!! :)

May 27, 2011 - Sign in Failed and Case Complete!!! Woot!

June 9, 2011 - Interview date assigned

July 14, 2011 - Interview @8:30am - APPROVED!!!!

July 21, 2011 - Visa Received! FINALLY!

July 23, 2011 - POE - Salt Lake City, Utah *home sweet home*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

adjudicators, to the best of my knowledge, are not fed employees - they are SERCO contractors.

Contract in place, paid by user fees, where's the slowdown ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

adjudicators, to the best of my knowledge, are not fed employees - they are SERCO contractors.

Contract in place, paid by user fees, where's the slowdown ?

What about their supervisors? The inmates can't run the asylum by themselves. :whistle:

It's up to the Office of Management and Budget to develop the plan for which government services are essential and must continue operating during a shutdown. I haven't seen their current plan, I suspect because they haven't finished writing it yet. I know that much of DHS will not be shut down because national security and law enforcement are considered essential services. If USCIS ends up being shut down then I'm sure that there will be accommodations made for people with time critical issues.

INS continued to operate during the shutdown in 1996 specifically because processing is paid for by customer fees, so petitions were still being adjudicated. However, visa services and employment visa applications were affected because the US consulates and Department of Labor were operating with minimal staffing and essential services only.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

What about their supervisors? The inmates can't run the asylum by themselves. :whistle:

It's up to the Office of Management and Budget to develop the plan for which government services are essential and must continue operating during a shutdown. I haven't seen their current plan, I suspect because they haven't finished writing it yet. I know that much of DHS will not be shut down because national security and law enforcement are considered essential services. If USCIS ends up being shut down then I'm sure that there will be accommodations made for people with time critical issues.

INS continued to operate during the shutdown in 1996 specifically because processing is paid for by customer fees, so petitions were still being adjudicated. However, visa services and employment visa applications were affected because the US consulates and Department of Labor were operating with minimal staffing and essential services only.

Jim VaPhuong.....

We have an interview at the consulate on March 08, 2011......:whistle: When would we know if the Embassy won't be accepting "VICTIMS"

We have held off purchasing our airline tickets BUT with the interview a week away, we need to do something!

Fatih and Kelly's Visa Journey

2010- 12-10: Sent I-130 and DS-230 Complete Package to US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey via UPS

which included everything BUT the Kitchen SINK!

2010-12-13: Per UPS, Package has been received at American Consulate in Ankara, Turkey

2011-01-20: Received Email from US Embassy in Ankara

INTERVIEW DATE 03/08/2011 @ 8:30 am !!!

2011-03-08: Placed in AP

I will NEVER give up and WILL fight to the END!

Apologies if I state in a comment that my husband and I have been together for years & years. It's just that I can hardly remember a time when he and I were not together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.