person

Need visas to enter European countries?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

I now have a 10 year permanent resident green card. I am curious if it is of any help for traveling purposes. Does it authorize me to enter European counties like a U.S. citizen, meaning without a visa? Or does this green card only work for entering the U.S.?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

From my understanding, Green-card holders need a visa to enter European countries, the green-card only gives you access to U.S. I know of someone with a green-card who got the wrong information and traveled without a visa to Europe only to be sent back.

Timeline:

09-24-2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago lockbox (F2A Spouse of LPR)

09-27-2010 - Package delivered confirmation on USPS website

09-30-2010 - Received text message and email for I-797

09-30-2010 - $355 Check for I-130 Cashed by USCIS

10-01-2010 - Received NOA1 (I-797C)in the mail

10-01-2010 - Touch

01-19-2011 - Received text message and email saying my I-130 is Approved

01-24-2011 - Received Hard Copy of NOA2 in the mail

Filed: Other Timeline

The Green Card has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Europe in any way, form shape, or anything.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You will still be traveling on your foreign passport, and the visa rules for that country apply. I believe Mexico and Canada make exceptions for greencard holders, but Europe definitely does not.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I have traveled to and from Europe several times and YES you do need and a Tourist Visa to enter many countries ( I am a US Citizen) for instance, when I travel to Turkey, they require that I have a Tourist Visa which is obtained at Passport Control and is $20.00 and is good for 90 days. However, since I planned on being there with my Spouse, I was required to obtain a Resident Permit which is good for a year and is a bit more costly and has to be renewed prior to expiration of course BUT if you overstay your Tourist Visa then you are then fined :wacko: and then banned from re-entry for whatever time that they impose (I believe that it depends on the amount of time that you overstayed) Just because one is a US Citizen doesn't allow us any "special" privileges. I would suggest that you research the country that you will be traveling to and plan accordingly!:lol:

Good Luck in your travels!

Fatih and Kelly's Visa Journey

2010- 12-10: Sent I-130 and DS-230 Complete Package to US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey via UPS

which included everything BUT the Kitchen SINK!

2010-12-13: Per UPS, Package has been received at American Consulate in Ankara, Turkey

2011-01-20: Received Email from US Embassy in Ankara

INTERVIEW DATE 03/08/2011 @ 8:30 am !!!

2011-03-08: Placed in AP

I will NEVER give up and WILL fight to the END!

Apologies if I state in a comment that my husband and I have been together for years & years. It's just that I can hardly remember a time when he and I were not together.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I am now curious, so do Mexico and Canada for real make exceptions? It would be fun to go some time without going through the visa process.

I don't have the link for Mexico but I know it comes under the same WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) agreement as Canada. Here is the link for Canada:

Entering Canada - Visitor Visa Exemptions

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I am now curious, so do Mexico and Canada for real make exceptions? It would be fun to go some time without going through the visa process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Ukrainian_citizens

This list details the visa requirements for a Ukraine citizen to travel to other countries. Always double check with the country's immigration website. Generally temporary visas to Europe are not that difficult to get. I would do some more research before writing it off as too difficult.

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

For real. For real. :thumbs:

My link

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have your foreign passport, and have GC on you, you can enter Canada, Mexico, and most of the Caribbean countries without needing to get a visa from those countries. As far as I know, these are the only countries that make special allowances because you have a GC. For pretty much any other country, and this includes Europe, your status hasn't changed as far as they are concerned; if you, as a citizen of Ukraine [or wherever] needed a visa to enter before you got your GC, you still need a visa.

Now for many of these countries, having a GC makes it much easier to get a tourist visa. But whether or not you need one is still the same, and doesn't change based on whether you have a GC or not.

Concrete example: last July my office went to a trade show in Japan. The vast majority of my co-workers are US citizens, and did not need visas to visit Japan for work purposes. I had to check with the Japanese embassy, but it turns out that Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter Japan for work purposes either. One of my co-workers, however, is a GC-holder with Albanian citizenship. Albanians do need a visa to enter Japan, and it makes no difference to Japan whether they have a US GC or not. So he needed to do some extra paperwork with the Japanese embassy to get a visa so he could go on this trip.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.