13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hi again folks, well...I finally managed to complete and submit all of the AOS package to their liking and I've just been informed of my interview date. I was hoping that it would be transferred to CSC and skip this part but alas..it hasn't been easy so far and I had no reason to suspect it would go any different now :blink: Anyhoo - question : does everybody get an interview (except those CSCs) or is it something I need to concern myself with..we live with his parents and he is on disability at the moment, we dont have much evidence of our togetherness like utility bills, shared medical stuff, or insurances etc.,and are hoping that our wedding photos and birthday cards sent to our address and shared bank account will suffice, any comments on this are, as always welcome thanks :yes:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

What about submitting affidavits of relationship from family members, friends, etc.? That used to be (and perhaps still is) one strategy for showing validity of relationship. The ones I've submitted in the past were letters attesting to the marriage. Getting them notarized requires the party writing the letter to appear before a notary and pay a minor fee.

Another strategy I used with my I-30 packet was a scrapbook/journal that included photos and a sampling of day-to-day happenings between us (when we talked on the phone, met on-line, other stuff).

What about your tax return? Did you file jointly?

Are you and your husband listed as each other's beneficiaries for any insurance policies, bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc.?

It would be a good time to create ande/or update your wills (you each need your own). In the will, you can name your spouse as heir (even though by law, your spouse already may be your primary heir), and you can make behests (itemized gifts), where you detail personal items you want to give to specific people including your spouse.

Last, but not least on my list of "proofs" of relationship: Letters, e-mails, and gifts you've given to each other...

Edited by ValentinesWedding

My heart has adopted every shape.

It has become a pasture for gazelles,

And a convent for Christian monks,

And a temple for idols,

And a pilgrim's Ka'ba,

The tables of a Torah,

And the pages of a Qu'ran.

I follow the religion of love.

Wherever love's camels turn,

There love is my religion and my faith.

Ibn al'Arabi, "Tarjuman al-Ashwak" (13th century)

Timeline

What about submitting affidavits of relationship from family members, friends, etc.? That used to be (and perhaps still is) one strategy for showing validity of relationship. The ones I've submitted in the past were letters attesting to the marriage. Getting them notarized requires the party writing the letter to appear before a notary and pay a minor fee.

Another strategy I used with my I-30 packet was a scrapbook/journal that included photos and a sampling of day-to-day happenings between us (when we talked on the phone, met on-line, other stuff).

What about your tax return? Did you file jointly?

Are you and your husband listed as each other's beneficiaries for any insurance policies, bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc.?

It would be a good time to create ande/or update your wills (you each need your own). In the will, you can name your spouse as heir (even though by law, your spouse already may be your primary heir), and you can make behests (itemized gifts), where you detail personal items you want to give to specific people including your spouse.

Last, but not least on my list of "proofs" of relationship: Letters, e-mails, and gifts you've given to each other...

Hi Valentines wedding and thank you for your comments and advice, I will certainly be using some of your suggestions, although we haven't been together long enough to file tax returns and have no insurance policies as yet. Do they really ask you silly questions like how many sugars does your husband/wife take in coffee ? and what side of the bed does he/she sleep on ? I mean...really ! I guess I will trawl these forums and try to pick up some tips...I remember a post from someone last year who said if she had known how difficult this process was, would never have started it in the first place...now I know how she felt :wacko: ......not really :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi again folks, well...I finally managed to complete and submit all of the AOS package to their liking and I've just been informed of my interview date. I was hoping that it would be transferred to CSC and skip this part but alas..it hasn't been easy so far and I had no reason to suspect it would go any different now :blink: Anyhoo - question : does everybody get an interview (except those CSCs) or is it something I need to concern myself with..we live with his parents and he is on disability at the moment, we dont have much evidence of our togetherness like utility bills, shared medical stuff, or insurances etc.,and are hoping that our wedding photos and birthday cards sent to our address and shared bank account will suffice, any comments on this are, as always welcome thanks :yes:

What visa are you adjusting from? :time:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Valentines wedding and thank you for your comments and advice, I will certainly be using some of your suggestions, although we haven't been together long enough to file tax returns and have no insurance policies as yet. Do they really ask you silly questions like how many sugars does your husband/wife take in coffee ? and what side of the bed does he/she sleep on ? I mean...really ! I guess I will trawl these forums and try to pick up some tips...I remember a post from someone last year who said if she had known how difficult this process was, would never have started it in the first place...now I know how she felt :wacko: ......not really :lol:

AOS interviews for people adjusting from a K1 are usually pretty easy. They tend to be pretty reasonable with the questions they ask and the evidence they expect you to have. The exception is if they find some reason to be particularly suspicious. Most of the things that would cause that sort of suspicion are discovered during the visa application process, but occasionally something might come up after the K1 arrives in the US. For example, if they discover you aren't actually living together, or they discover a recent arrest report involving either of you, etc.

If, for some reason, they were really suspicious of your relationship then it's possible they would conduct a Stokes interview. In that case, they would separate you and your husband and they'd ask questions like the ones you mentioned, and possibly questions which are much more personal. Stokes interviews are not common with K1 visa holders because they've already been screened by a US consulate.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I think what you have is enough for a K1 to AOS interview. Take your original certified copy of the marriage certificate.

On a side note: If you were married in 2010, you can file taxes jointly and will get a better refund (or pay less taxes).

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I think what you have is enough for a K1 to AOS interview. Take your original certified copy of the marriage certificate.

On a side note: If you were married in 2010, you can file taxes jointly and will get a better refund (or pay less taxes).

[/quote/thanks for all of your replies, I was just worried that we had been singled out because my SO (the petitioner) is on disability and wondered if almost all K1 AOS ers had to go through this process :blink(noting that you did not - you lucky thing) anyhoo it doesn't make much difference really except if we thought this was the case we could go forearmed with some answers to possible questions in that regard :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey city2countrygirl,

I am in the same boat as you! Received an interview letter and was sooo disapointed! I thought we'd get the transfer to CSC too... We have a bunch of people in the Canada forum, and we're keeping track of our progress since our K-1 interview. And so far, out of the 7 of us who have filed their AOS, 5 of us have an interview. I don't think it's anything to worry about, I mean, they do have to do their job and screen for fraud.

We live with the in-laws as well, and this is what we're gathering as evidence: I have made a scrapbook of photos of us since we started dating, and it goes until last xmas. Nothing too fancy, we have maybe 25 photos (we're not huge picture takers!), I have a letter from our vet, with both our names on it to show ownership and same adress (it's just a list of all the appointments, what was done, blah blah blah), we have a letter from his life insurance showing me as beneficiary, and we have our joint account documents. I was thinking of preparing another affidavit of support since we're right in the middle of the tax stuff, but I'm not sure we'll do that since we already submitted it with the package...

All in all, just try to focus on the fact that your relationhip is legit, and gather everything you can to prove that.

I don't think they pin-point who has an interview and who doesn't... It is what it is, so we have to make the best of it! :whistle:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey city2countrygirl,

I am in the same boat as you! Received an interview letter and was sooo disapointed! I thought we'd get the transfer to CSC too... We have a bunch of people in the Canada forum, and we're keeping track of our progress since our K-1 interview. And so far, out of the 7 of us who have filed their AOS, 5 of us have an interview. I don't think it's anything to worry about, I mean, they do have to do their job and screen for fraud.

We live with the in-laws as well, and this is what we're gathering as evidence: I have made a scrapbook of photos of us since we started dating, and it goes until last xmas. Nothing too fancy, we have maybe 25 photos (we're not huge picture takers!), I have a letter from our vet, with both our names on it to show ownership and same adress (it's just a list of all the appointments, what was done, blah blah blah), we have a letter from his life insurance showing me as beneficiary, and we have our joint account documents. I was thinking of preparing another affidavit of support since we're right in the middle of the tax stuff, but I'm not sure we'll do that since we already submitted it with the package...

All in all, just try to focus on the fact that your relationhip is legit, and gather everything you can to prove that.

I don't think they pin-point who has an interview and who doesn't... It is what it is, so we have to make the best of it! :whistle:

Hi Vero and Chris, thank you for your reassuring post, it was much appreciated - I have only just seen it ! We will just have to take with us anything that has our names on it (we're not ones for photos)and hope we dont get asked any difficult questions, and as you say- we know our deal is legit so there is nothing to worry about :wacko: I have just received my AP and even though its not worth me travelling home for just a few weeks, I'm taking that as a good sign :yes: And the best of luck to you at your interview :)

Edited by city2countrygirl

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey back!

Good luck to you as well! I'm sure you'll be just fine, my mother-in-law keeps trying to calm me down, saying "you've made it this far, why would anything bad happen?" :lol: But I just worry about stuff like that, I was a mess for the K-1 interview!!

Also, I read in a different thread that someone had brought a letter signed by their in-laws stating they were living with them (that couple were also living with the USC's parents)

Keep us posted on how your interview goes, mine is in 9 days! :wacko:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't sweat it guys,I to had an interview and all kinds of things went threw my head...was pissed because It didn't go to California,anxiety all for nothing,it was a simple interview and ended up being a blessing because I got the green card in no time..Lot of people who's applications get send to calafornia end up waiting for months,and some even longer:)...the interview is actualy a good thing.

Timeline

Don't sweat it guys,I to had an interview and all kinds of things went threw my head...was pissed because It didn't go to California,anxiety all for nothing,it was a simple interview and ended up being a blessing because I got the green card in no time..Lot of people who's applications get send to calafornia end up waiting for months,and some even longer:)...the interview is actualy a good thing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Joe and ease my worried mind :thumbs: as Vero says It Is What It Is - there's no way around it. There is very little evidence on these forums of anyone being refused (except under complicated circumstances)so I'm sure we'll be ok but will be glad when its all over, it has been a trial I can tell you. Will update here soon. Good Luck everyone coming up to their interviews (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.