one...two...tree

WI Gov. Scott Walker: Funded by the Koch Bros.

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker, whose bill to kill collective bargaining rights for public-sector unions has caused an uproar among state employees, might not be where he is today without the Koch brothers. Charles and David Koch are conservative titans of industry who have infamously used their vast wealth to undermine President Obama and fight legislation they detest, such as the cap-and-trade climate bill, the health care reform act, and the economic stimulus package. For years, the billionaires have made extensive political donations to Republican candidates across the country and have provided millions of dollars to astroturf right-wing organizations. Koch Industries' political action committee has doled out more than $2.6 million to candidates. And one prominent beneficiary of the Koch brothers' largess is Scott Walker.

According to Wisconsin campaign finance filings, Walker's gubernatorial campaign received $43,000 from the Koch Industries PAC during the 2010 election. That donation was his campaign's second-highest, behind $43,125 in contributions from housing and realtor groups in Wisconsin. The Koch's PAC also helped Walker via a familiar and much-used politicial maneuver designed to allow donors to skirt campaign finance limits. The PAC gave $1 million to the Republican Governors Association, which in turn spent $65,000 on independent expenditures to support Walker. The RGA also spent a whopping $3.4 million on TV ads and mailers attacking Walker's opponent, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. Walker ended up beating Barrett by 5 points. The Koch money, no doubt, helped greatly.

The Kochs also assisted Walker's current GOP allies in the fight against the public-sector unions. Last year, Republicans took control of the both houses of the Wisconsin state legislature, which has made Walker's assault on these unions possible. And according to data from the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, the Koch Industries PAC spent $6,500 in support of 16 Wisconsin Republican state legislative candidates, who each won his or her election.

Walker's plan to eviscerate collective bargaining rights for public employees is right out of the Koch brothers' playbook. Koch-backed groups like Americans for Prosperity, the Cato Institute, the Competitive Enterprise Institute, and the Reason Foundation have long taken a very antagonistic view toward public-sector unions. Several of these groups have urged the eradication of these unions. In Wisconsin, this conservative, anti-union view is being placed into action by lawmakers in sync with the deep-pocketed donors who helped them obtain power. (Walker also opposes the state's Clean Energy Job Act, which would compel the state to increase its use of alternative energy.) At this moment—even with the Wisconsin uprising unresolved—the Koch brothers' investment in Walker appears to be paying off.

Andy Kroll is a reporter at Mother Jones.

http://motherjones.c...r-koch-brothers

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So people who donate money to stop harmful/anti-American legislation are evil? :unsure:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

so how much did soros contribute to obama?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Amazing what being richer than rich gets you these days. I wish I were one of these guys so I could give my *hard-earned* cash away to all kinds of causes like:

1. Accountable reading, science, and math education programs.

2. Accountable teacher training programs.

3. Accountable school district teacher salary programs (to reward above-average producing teachers, varying reward criteria).

4. Accountable job-training programs for students not interested in seeking higher-ed as part of their career/life plans.

OMG the Koch brothers!!!! Run for the hills!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

So people who donate money to stop harmful/anti-American legislation are evil? :unsure:

Wouldn't the ability to organize and accomplish goals with that organization be protected under the first Amendment? So how does protecting that right become anti-american? When it interferes with a companies ability to exploit its employees?

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Timeline

Wouldn't the ability to organize and accomplish goals with that organization be protected under the first Amendment? So how does protecting that right become anti-american? When it interferes with a companies ability to exploit its employees?

The issue is public employees, and whether or not public employees can organize against the public good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Why do Democrats run and hide to Illinois? What is so special about that place? :unsure:

remind me again, where is obama from? :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

The issue is public employees, and whether or not public employees can organize against the public good.

Are they paid well enough? I am sure some people will demand they earn less and work 60 instead of 50 hours a week too, while educating their kids into productive members of society.

Last I checked, teachers didn't make that much mula, given the responsibility they are supposed to carry. I guess we as a society get what we pay for.

Should they have a right to fair wages and benefits? Why not? And if its a public tax-funded issue, then fight for school system privatization and good luck with teaching standards.

Kenya

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He was born in bangladesh

Amazing what being richer than rich gets you these days. I wish I were one of these guys so I could give my *hard-earned* cash away to all kinds of causes like:

1. Accountable reading, science, and math education programs.

2. Accountable teacher training programs.

3. Accountable school district teacher salary programs (to reward above-average producing teachers, varying reward criteria).

4. Accountable job-training programs for students not interested in seeking higher-ed as part of their career/life plans.

What are you??? some kind of Accountant??

Timeline

He was born in bangladesh

What are you??? some kind of Accountant??

Accountability is where its at as long as some can get away with cheating for their pet projects.

Timeline

Unions represent far lots more voters than CEOs, but I'll grant you that if it makes you feel there's some kind of equity at play. Of course if the Union is a synonym for profitable business then I guess you should be also criticizing that behavior on all sides.