afmiller

Can my Wife move to the US

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am currently living in Canada and got married to a Canadian. In a few months both my Wife and myself need to head to the US because of me being moved for the military. We originally thought that we could get the green card up here in canada, but the whole system is convulated and the Montreal Consulate and the DHL Courier have been screwing up and have caused delays. Is there any form I can fill out to have my wife move to the US and finish the IV in the US. I started to read about the 'Employment Authorization Document', is it possible to file for one of these while we have the IV process on going. We do have a case number already. Thanks for the help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your wife can only move to the US with an immigrant visa. And if you've started the process in Canada (which sounds like you have...where in the process are you?) you'll need to finish it in Canada

Did you file directly with the consulate? Could you give more information as to where you are in the process?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I'm till a little fuzzy on the DCF. I went to Toronto to file the I-130 which was accepted. Paperwork got sent to Montreal. Montreal sent me a pack which was late cause they misplaced the first one. After which I got the papers together the DS-230 I think it was. I had to fight with the CSC for about a month and 1/2 over e mail cause they didnt understand that the local DHL courier had no idea what to do. After that finally in december I recieved a letter saying that I forgot a Checklist pdf which I didnt see was required in the paperwork. After the christmas holiday I e mailed Montreal Consulate to ask them about the paper if it needed to be filled or left blank, got the auto gen reply, we will respond in 2 weeks if it meets our critera response, after 2 weeks I got no reply, cause of the message saying its not about certain stuff we wont even reply. So.... I e mailed the CSC to ask them about it, they said they only do the send of paperwork and scheduling appts for the consulate. After that reply (like 1 day) I e mailed the Consulate again, its been over 2 weeks and still no reply, I decided to send a paperwork in blank with a letter saying that I have tried to contact you via e mail with no response and I didnt know if it should be blank or filled. Yesterday I was having issues with DHL again. This entire process has beena big head ache :/

Timeline

Sorry like CW said your wife cannot move to the US without Having a visa first. If you try to they will come down hard on her at the border and send her away.

I would continue with where you are at right now because it seems from what you describe you are fairly close to the end.

What with Checklists and IV bills. Have a look at this flow chart, are you somewhere on this? which point seems most like where you are at? http://www.visajourney.com/examples/NVC_Process_Flowchart_v1-2.pdf

The checklist does it have little square boxes on it and its asking if you have certain papers ready for interview? if so the boxes need to be checked off or N/A for the ones that don't apply and then it needs to be signed at the bottom so they know you have the forms and medical finished and ready for interview. If that is not what the checklist looks like what does yours look like?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving to DCF forum as that is the path the OP is taking *****

You cannot move your wife without a visa (the greencard comes later, once she is in the USA with the visa). But as a Canadian she can visit the USA for up to 6 months, she she could stay with you until her medical and interview. You could also try for an expedite as active duty military.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/visas/pdfs/visa_checklist.pdf is the checklist, no where in the IV pack did it mention to print this and send it in :/. From that checklist I reasoned that I send it blank due to 2 reasons.

#1 The appointment letter showing the date and time of your interview

#2 Medical examination (do not obtain at this time, information will be sent with Packet 4, interview instruction letter) - I dont have an interview instruction letter

Edited by afmiller

Timeline

When your case is complete at the NVC they will notify your of your interview OR you will have to book your own, i'm not sure which one.. Because I have seen some people who filed within Canada be given interviews and some booked their own.

That checklist is typically given out by the Montreal embassy via snail mail. I agree that Montreal is not organized, I think most people would agree lol.

I'm not sure if you have tried to call department of state, or national visa center, but calling them might shed some light on if you have an interview or if theres other things you need to do first.

The link I posted earlier did you get a chance to look at it and kind of see if you are somewhere along thos lines?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not sure I want to get into this, anyone with a valid passport and a visa if required can come to the USA with certain rules, like can't work here, and have to leave before your I-94 expires. But also have the option to extend your I-94 for around 400 bucks or so. In regards to a spouse, in the I-130 petition asks if that person is in their home country or here, nothing wrong with being here if here legally on alike a tourist visa.

I went that route, but filed the whole bunch of works in one shot, they even wanted to know when my wife's I-94 expired, but she had six months, whole works by memory, the I-130, G-325A, I-485, I-693, I-864, that EAD form, think that was it, but these forms are well listed. Within two weeks, we got the NOA that stated she was no longer burdened by her I-94 so was free to stay forever, but again not permitted to work, couldn't add her to my bank accounts, etc., until she got her EAD.

Feel the people that really need a marriage visa are the ones that can't get a normal visa. Practically have to be a millionaire to get one.

Assume you are in the US military and a US citizen, was a time when men serving their country could bring there brides here without all this red tape. And just remember, you are guilty of fraud until you prove yourself innocent. Have buddies that married gals from Canada, they just came here, but catching up with them now with a lot of explaining to do.

Surely your wife can move to the US if she's on your military orders?

IR-1 Timeline (DCF London)

15th Feb 2011 - Filed I-130 in London.

6th Apr 2011 - Sent letter requesting expedition of visa.

11th Apr 2011 - Received email approving request.

12th May 2011 - I-130 approved.

2nd June 2011 - Received case number via email. Booked medical.

3rd June 2011 - Sent forms DS-230, DS-2001 & cover letter today.

8th June 2011 - Medical Exam (£273.00 for medical & MMR/Tetanus injection)

11th July 2011 - Visa interview at 8am.

14th July 2011 - Visa in hand.

23rd July 2011 - Uniting my family today in San Antonio <3

11th Aug 2011 - Received 10yr Green Card in the mail

22nd Aug 2011 - Received SSN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

oh wow - how very cool ! DCF to Montreal ! YAY !

Uhm - those 'paperwork headaches' can be sussed out, easily - but you must get it right, at least on the 3rd attempt.

Forget any 'dialogue' with the Embassy IV Staff - assume for the moment they are unreachable -

and

POST HERE what you have already sent it - we'll try to suss out yer documents, and help you.

Seriously.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Surely your wife can move to the US if she's on your military orders?

Yeah, um... NO!!!

Military Orders do not convey an immigrant visa upon anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

hey - what's going on ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Update,

Finally got the papers saying she is able to go for the interview in montreal. I read somewhere that they can possible bump up the date for when she has the interview, cause right now it stands for July, and I'm moving at the latest in June. Any idea where I can find the doc that said that or who I can contact to try to expidite the process.

Timeline

since the papers have an interview date -

that's the APPOINTMENT LETTER.

You can contact the IV Unit in Montreal, beg for an earlier date.

Good luck on the attempt - the IV unit in Montreal is historically lagged, and getting a human in any media (telephone, postal, fax, email) is tedious, at best, impossible at worst.

Filed: Timeline

Update,

Finally got the papers saying she is able to go for the interview in montreal. I read somewhere that they can possible bump up the date for when she has the interview, cause right now it stands for July, and I'm moving at the latest in June. Any idea where I can find the doc that said that or who I can contact to try to expidite the process.

The best you can do is request the interview be moved up. The general advice is for the applicant not to make any plans to move until a visa is issued. Your desire to move before the interview date is not something that the consulate needs to consider because all applicants are warned not to quit their jobs, sell their possessions, or make plans to move to the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.