haagen_dazs

Will I be able to visit USA if I overstayed for 3 mths in USA ?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, the overstay was less than 180 days, and there is a valid explanation for it. However, nothing is ever 100% assured. You could go through your POE and they MIGHT ask about it, and you will tell them the truth, and then they MIGHT let you in. It all depends on the person you are dealing with.

Nobody here can give you the reassurance you are looking for. However, I do suggest you start pulling together any documentation of ties to singapore. College payments, rent leases, letter from employer stating the day you are expected back, car payments.. anything that shows you are definately going to go back to Singapore.

Even then though, they could still say thanks but no thanks, go back home.... The only way you will know for SURE, is to try.

I have been reading up and just wanted to know if I will have problems since my potential overstay specifically is a range from from 0 to 4 mths max (less than 6 mths)

brokenfamily, coraliesolms : Yes you really understood my situation. Trying is probably the only answer.

Channah&Aaron : I am reading up and never read a 2/5/10 ban. Only 3/10. I am not sure where your source is. No i was left the country perfectly fine.

Are you even sure you overstayed your visa. Because you assumed it took a month so you overstayed by 3 months, but what if it took 5 months and you never overstayed?

That is true

So the range is 0 to max of 4 mths only.

I did my best to get out asap and it does take time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just remember, if asked (verbally or in writing on the customs form) you'll need to tell the absolute truth. Failing to do so could result in a misrepresentation charge (trust me, they know already)

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Just remember, if asked (verbally or in writing on the customs form) you'll need to tell the absolute truth. Failing to do so could result in a misrepresentation charge (trust me, they know already)

Good luck

thanks for the advice

they may ask to test me at the point of entry right?

well i will just explain the situation and hope like crazy they will be forgiving and gracious...

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi I have not completed ESTA.

I am actually not familiar and am looking and reading up on ESTA.

For the last 10 years, I have always entered USA via F1 and H1B so I am not up to date with these things since I am now wanting to enter USA simply as a tourist.

So if I apply for the ESTA and I get accepted,then it says i will be inspected at customs.

If I apply and am rejected, do i have to apply for a visa even though Singaporeans do not need visa to enter USA?

LOOK for the MILLIONTH TIME. If YOU YOURSELF KNOW that you have OVERSTAYED 3 MONTHS even if it was to tie up loose ends, you will need a B1/B2 visa PERIOD. It DOESNT MATTER if you are from Singapore...thats the LEAST of their worries. THEIR worry would be if you overstayed. FILL OUT the ESTA form and then SEE if you need a B1/B2 visa

Its like you keep wanting us all here to tell you what you would LIKE to hear and not what you NEED to hear...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He filled in the ESTA, he got it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Well, the overstay was less than 180 days, and there is a valid explanation for it. However, nothing is ever 100% assured. You could go through your POE and they MIGHT ask about it, and you will tell them the truth, and then they MIGHT let you in. It all depends on the person you are dealing with.

Nobody here can give you the reassurance you are looking for. However, I do suggest you start pulling together any documentation of ties to singapore. College payments, rent leases, letter from employer stating the day you are expected back, car payments.. anything that shows you are definately going to go back to Singapore.

Even then though, they could still say thanks but no thanks, go back home.... The only way you will know for SURE, is to try.

Indeed. Better go the B visa route. If they ask about the overstay, definitely be honest and do mention you lost your job due to what was likely the economy being what it was. That MIGHT generate some sympathy. But nobody ever knows.

Timeline

Is this answer based on something specifically you read regarding this or a guess?

I thought USCIS was pretty much aware of the issues of suddenly terminated H1B's and is a bit flexible in letting the folks clear out. My hearing of this story is very plausible and based on the fact he/she left without incurring a lengthy overstay and returned to his/her own country is pretty good evidence the individual is attempting to comply with the spirit of the law.

Maybe a bit more research and find out if there is an actual bar to VWP program or its completely up to CPB's discretion. I think the ESTA thing is a good sign, and with the correct proof of ties to home country it might be a non-issue with them. They are much less strict with this on non-immigrant VISA's if there is no actual bar or any proceedings and the entry and exits are consistent with business or tourist purpose and the "big picture" makes sense.

I've known from some H1Bs that they have up to 90 days to leave the US after the H1B becomes invalid, but they may have been giving me bad information.

ESTA might just mean that the overstay isn't that big of a red flag, but a red flag nonetheless. ESTA really is looking for the more serious offenses on criminal databases.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know this may be too simple but is there any way to ask DHS whether (or not) you overstayed the H1B, especially since you don't know when it was effectively cancelled?

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I've known from some H1Bs that they have up to 90 days to leave the US after the H1B becomes invalid, but they may have been giving me bad information.

ESTA might just mean that the overstay isn't that big of a red flag, but a red flag nonetheless. ESTA really is looking for the more serious offenses on criminal databases.

There is no 90 day grace period.

Nobody knows what ESTA does. Or does not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

There is no 90 day grace period.

Nobody knows what ESTA does. Or does not.

Correct. There is none. As for ESTA, think about it in terms of when the program was set in motion. A big pain in the cojones, yes. I have read information about it literally cross-referrencing various databases for the most part. Kind of like a soft credit check but with criminal and no-fly and that sort of check in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

He filled in the ESTA, he got it.

thanks for the input =)

LOOK for the MILLIONTH TIME. If YOU YOURSELF KNOW that you have OVERSTAYED 3 MONTHS even if it was to tie up loose ends, you will need a B1/B2 visa PERIOD. It DOESNT MATTER if you are from Singapore...thats the LEAST of their worries. THEIR worry would be if you overstayed. FILL OUT the ESTA form and then SEE if you need a B1/B2 visa

Its like you keep wanting us all here to tell you what you would LIKE to hear and not what you NEED to hear...

thank you for your comments

So the update is

Woot =) Went through into the USA and left with no problems.

They didnt scan my passport when I entered. All the lady did was type in my passport number and said I was good to go.

She threw away the white I94 (that i filled up) and said I did not need it.....

So one interesting question.

I realized that when I left SFO, there was no immigration check point.

Since I did not have a I94 white card to be removed at the airplane check in counter, my question is : how does immigration know that I left USA?

Does the USA immigration department depend ENTIRELY on the check in counter staff entering into the system that I actually physically flew out on my aircraft???????????

Edited by haagen_dazs

I-94 or I-94W is the arrival/departure record. They should have made you fill out the I-94W, which is the green form, and then should've asked for it when you left.. I-94 is for people under a visa status, which is why you didn't need that one.

Edited by Mrs.Finland-USA

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

I-94 or I-94W is the arrival/departure record. They should have made you fill out the I-94W, which is the green form, and then should've asked for it when you left.. I-94 is for people under a visa status, which is why you didn't need that one.

immigration did not ask me to fill out the I94 W, neither did they ask for one..... hmmm so how ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.