Hadiza

What does this mean on the Social Security Card?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, VJers:

My hubby recieved his social security card today. I am really happy for that. I would like to know what does

"Not valid for work without DHS authorization" mean? My hubby has the EAD card too. When he obtains a

green card will they remove those words from the card or when will they remove the words from the card?

I am really curious to know. Can he use his card to get a credit card or anything else in America? If anyone

knows please let me know. Thanks a lot.......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, VJers:

My hubby recieved his social security card today. I am really happy for that. I would like to know what does

"Not valid for work without DHS authorization" mean? My hubby has the EAD card too. When he obtains a

green card will they remove those words from the card or when will they remove the words from the card?

I am really curious to know. Can he use his card to get a credit card or anything else in America? If anyone

knows please let me know. Thanks a lot.......

that is on there because he only has a temporary work authorization also known as EAD.. once he gets his green card he can request a new ssn and those quotes will be taken off.. but yes he is able to do anythin he wnats including applying for a job or a credit card, he probably jus has to show his EAD everytime along with the SSN CARD..

2/11/11-Sent I-129f

2/14/11-packet recvd, signed by D.SAWYER

2/18/11-USCIS txt and email notification of NOA1

2/22/11- Hard copy NOA1 recvd, dated for 2/16

6/27/11- NOA 2 APPROVED (131 DAYS)

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

The SS card goes into a dark box and probably never has to come out again. I have not shown my SS card in 20 years, not even once, and I opened bank accounts, studied at UCLA, got plenty of credit cards, two commercial real estate loans, married, and everything in between. All that's needed is the number, which your husband should memorize anyway.

Therefore, there is also no SS card required to get a credit card. What's required is the number. Again, the number lives in your husband's brain. If not, have him write it down, 100 times, 100 days in a row. If he can't remember it by then, divorce him.

For that very reason, it doesn't matter what's written on the SS card, even if it's the phone number of an old girlfriend. If he ever needed to show his card, he would also have to show his EAD or Green Card, both of which are in fact the documents giving DHS authorization to work. So it's a non-issue to begin with, but if your hubby is bored and loves to sit at the SSA, he can get a card without writing on it.

Only to put it into the dark box to be never seen again.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The SS card goes into a dark box and probably never has to come out again. I have not shown my SS card in 20 years, not even once, and I opened bank accounts, studied at UCLA, got plenty of credit cards, two commercial real estate loans, married, and everything in between. All that's needed is the number, which your husband should memorize anyway.

Therefore, there is also no SS card required to get a credit card. What's required is the number. Again, the number lives in your husband's brain. If not, have him write it down, 100 times, 100 days in a row. If he can't remember it by then, divorce him.

For that very reason, it doesn't matter what's written on the SS card, even if it's the phone number of an old girlfriend. If he ever needed to show his card, he would also have to show his EAD or Green Card, both of which are in fact the documents giving DHS authorization to work. So it's a non-issue to begin with, but if your hubby is bored and loves to sit at the SSA, he can get a card without writing on it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

It does indeed matter what is written on the card.

An immigrant who does not yet have a green card will have to produce the Social Security card (along with their EAD) to satisfy the requirements of the I9 when hired for a job.

Conversely,an immigrant who has a green card should have the notation removed from the SS card. An immigrant with a State ID (such as a driver's license) and a non-restricted Social Security card NEVER has to show their green card to get a job. It's discrimination if the employer asks for it.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

:thumbs::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: You are amazing Bob love it

An immigrant who does not yet have a green card will have to produce the Social Security card (along with their EAD) to satisfy the requirements of the I9 when hired for a job.

Conversely,an immigrant who has a green card should have the notation removed from the SS card. An immigrant with a State ID (such as a driver's license) and a non-restricted Social Security card NEVER has to show their green card to get a job. It's discrimination if the employer asks for it.

BONG does not matter if you have it removed or left on there Bob is right

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Timeline

:thumbs::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: You are amazing Bob love it

OK while everyone is in a happy mood, think about this. K-1s are normally issued two year green cards, and then you apply to have the restrictions removed. So at some time during that process your green card will be expired and you have a restricted SSN card.

When I was doing my tax return the other day, questions came up on the screen about the Earned Income Credit. One of the "must haves" for this credit (believe it or not) is a non-restricted Social Security Card.

Do you (or your spouse) want to have to keep showing your green card for every thing you want or need in America? Do you want to always be "the alien"?

Personally, I want my husband to have all the same ease of movement as anyone born here. He NEVER shows his green card to an employer. You can't do that unless your SS card is non-restricted.

OK while everyone is in a happy mood, think about this. K-1s are normally issued two year green cards, and then you apply to have the restrictions removed. So at some time during that process your green card will be expired and you have a restricted SSN card.

This comes up a lot with folks who are removing conditions. Because the green card has an expiry date, employers will question whether or not you are still work authorized. The solution has always been to give them a state driver's license and non-restricted SS card. This proves work authorization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I have to disagree with that part of your comment, an immigrant who apply for a job must prove authorization of employment in the US, (EAD or GC) whichever comes first.

I had to give my EAD to my employer and after that they called me again to bring in my GC, they declined a fax, I needed to bring it in to show it in person.

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, I'm a USC since birth and I've had my SS card since I was a child and I agree that it should never be carried day-to-day but to say it will never be needed isn't 100% true.

I have needed to show mine when starting a new job and the last time I had to renew my driver's license (under the new ReadID rules.) Other than that, never..

Memorizing it is the way to go.

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

I have to disagree with that part of your comment, an immigrant who apply for a job must prove authorization of employment in the US, (EAD or GC) whichever comes first.

I had to give my EAD to my employer and after that they called me again to bring in my GC, they declined a fax, I needed to bring it in to show it in person.

Employers are not permitted to decide which documents they want to see. It's against the law.

http://www.nilc.org/dc_conf/flashdrive09/Worker-Rights/emp3_proving-work-auth.pdf

"Your employer must ask you to complete the I-9 Form within 3 days of beginning your job. The I-9

Form lists documents that you can show to establish your identity and employment eligibility. You the

worker, not the employer, have the right to choose which of the listed documents you are going to show

the employer. It is unlawful for your employer to demand that you show a specific document only, or to

ask that you present more documents than the ones that are required. For example, your employer cannot

demand that you show a green card, if you have other documents listed on the I-9 Form showing that you

are authorized to work in the U.S. The employer might be engaging in a type of discrimination called

“document abuse” if the employer does not allow you to choose which documents to show. Talk to an

immigrant rights organization, a worker center, your union, or call the number below if you think that

your employer is breaking this law. You may also contact the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration

Related Unfair Employment Practices (OSC) at 1-800-255-7688 or 1-800-237-2515 to report potential

discrimination by an employer. Note that if your employer is participating in E-Verify, you will be

required to provide your employer with your Social Security number and the document that you show to

establish identity must contain a photograph."

Filed: Other Timeline

Rebecca Jo,

yes, formally speaking you are correct indeed.

So if somebody absolutely does not want to show his Green Card when applying for a new job, the route you outlined would, or better -- should -- work. However, since many employers (and more so the employees working for them) are cautious and rather err on the side of caution, they rather see the Green Card of of foreigner applying for a job.

I think that serves us all, but the prospective employee can of course refuse. He can also not get the job. He then can file a complaint, and still not get the job and after years of running with the head down into a wall I would suggest he rethinks his strategy. I would not hire somebody who gives me sh*t about his authorization to work when I am required to submit an I-9 to Uncle Sam. I have seen many fake (unlaminated) "cardboard" SS cards (don't ask), but not a fake Green Card.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.