^_^

This is how my work day ended.

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Same here, since I wouldn't have laughed if I thought it meant you weren't going to be retained.

Even by my interpretation, it doesn't necessarily mean I will be RIF'd. What my employer (and others that I am familiar with) does is they have special programs for their top performers. They get these invites and no one else does. Generally if you get one of these invites it's a very good sign that they don't intend to RIF you. If you don't, well they may or they may not. We're in the middle of reviews right now and... well, this is what happened on Monday. I usually WFH on Mondays but I came in because there was supposed to be a Department meeting at 9am and rumor was there would be an announcement.

So here's what happened. I walked in at ~8:30. There was an agenda email in my inbox, sent out at 8am. One of the agenda items was "Reorganization". No details provided, just a bullet point with that one word. The other bullet points (like Spring 2011 Disaster Recovery) were more fleshed out with detail. At 8:40 or so, an email comes in postponing the meeting from 9am to 10am. At 9:30am, another email comes in canceling the meeting. Not postponed, canceled. No explanation was provided.

The way I read it, this course is sent out to talent they wish to retain. But you could be right.

Perhaps your position is being outsourced. :(

Did you check the list of recipients to see if you recognize any of the names? If not, do they all have surnames indicative of any particular South Asian, or West Pacific country?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So here's what happened. I walked in at ~8:30. There was an agenda email in my inbox, sent out at 8am. One of the agenda items was "Reorganization". No details provided, just a bullet point with that one word. The other bullet points (like Spring 2011 Disaster Recovery) were more fleshed out with detail. At 8:40 or so, an email comes in postponing the meeting from 9am to 10am. At 9:30am, another email comes in canceling the meeting. Not postponed, canceled. No explanation was provided.

So not cool. Way to boost department morale. Your superiors have not been paying attention to their talent retention training.

Hoping you make the cut...

So not cool. Way to boost department morale. Your superiors have not been paying attention to their talent retention training.

We brought it up with our direct manager this afternoon during our weekly status call. He claimed to not even know what we're talking about. Supposedly he never read the agenda and didn't know the meeting was canceled. This guy, btw - is always on our case about attending Department meetings when they are held.

well, this is what happened on Monday

I walked in at ~8:30. There was an agenda email in my inbox, sent out at 8am. One of the agenda items was "Reorganization". No details provided, just a bullet point with that one word. The other bullet points (like Spring 2011 Disaster Recovery) were more fleshed out with detail. At 8:40 or so, an email comes in postponing the meeting from 9am to 10am. At 9:30am, another email comes in canceling the meeting. Not postponed, canceled. No explanation was provided.

We brought it up with our direct manager this afternoon during our weekly status call. He claimed to not even know what we're talking about. Supposedly he never read the agenda and didn't know the meeting was canceled. This guy, btw - is always on our case about attending Department meetings when they are held.

we? how many people got the email?

The events described in the OP happened today, right before I was about to log out.

Downthread, I described something else that happened on Monday. You're responding to the events that occurred on Monday and a meeting that occurred yesterday (Wed).

ps. I don't know how many people got the email (the one from this evening about the influencing workshop). they used bcc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I hate this sort of thing. Freshen your CV, and be sure that you take anything personal from your computer and your office in advance, or have it ready. Hope I'm wrong about falling axes. Keep us apprised, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

The way I read it, this course is sent out to talent they wish to retain. But you could be right.

I'm sorry, I thought your OP was more anecdotic, but I see you have some serious concerns about this so let me readdress.

I recently did some research on this type of programs geared towards "HIPOs" (High-Potetencial employees). It really is about creating a career path for HIPOs...and not about laying off the rest. This all comes from studies that say HIPOs engagement has suffered the most during the last couple of years of economic downturn. HIPOs are defined as having a mix of:Aspiration, Ability and Engagement.

But yeah, big oops from your talent management team to send you that email.

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

<ping>! (Lotus Notes informs me of a new unread email)

Me: I have time to read one more.

<opens email>

Email: Congratulations! As a top performer, you have been selected by the Talent Management Group (Me: Who?) to attend an invitation-only workshop called 'Influence Skills for the Enterprise'. This is part of our corporate focus on talent retention. The cost of this workshop is paid in full by the Talent Management Group. Sign up now on the Corporate Learning website.

Me: Huh. Who is the Talent Management Group? Let me look up the sender on the corporate org chart.

<looks up the sender on the corporate org chart>

Me: I guess this is real. I'll sign up!

<look for the class on the learning site. it's not there.>

Me: <writes an email> Talent Management, the class Influence Skills is not listed on the learning site.

Talent Management: Please disregard email. Your inclusion in the distribution list was inadvertent.

Me: Oh.

Classic...You don't need no stinking influence skillz anywayz...:no:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

ETA: Whoops...after reading other replies, I in no way saw this as any indicator of them not retaining you. Corps are always hosting these types of BS 'feel good' classes that are all for naught. I don't know the situation at your company (bad year/years?), but I wouldn't worry about this email...:no:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Corps are always hosting these types of BS 'feel good' classes that are all for naught.

Oh yeah, so another email came in this morning, sent out to the entire asian american employee network. This is for another class, directed at teaching "diverse women" (when did women of color start being called that anyway?) how to manage the relationships with their "white male managers". It's 1 1/2 hours long and the cost of the class is over a thousand dollars. Corporate training can be such a ripoff!

I recently did some research on this type of programs geared towards "HIPOs" (High-Potetencial employees). It really is about creating a career path for HIPOs...and not about laying off the rest. This all comes from studies that say HIPOs engagement has suffered the most during the last couple of years of economic downturn. HIPOs are defined as having a mix of:Aspiration, Ability and Engagement.

Interesting, thanks.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Oh yeah, so another email came in this morning, sent out to the entire asian american employee network. This is for another class, directed at teaching "diverse women" (when did women of color start being called that anyway?) how to manage the relationships with their "white male managers". It's 1 1/2 hours long and the cost of the class is over a thousand dollars. Corporate training can be such a ripoff!

:blink:

Are you kidding?

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord