GG_CAN

Marrying an American

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, I am having a lot of trouble getting ALL of the information I need regarding this topic. Here in Canada, the toll free number for the USCIS doesn't work, and the US Consulate can only be contacted through emails unless I want to take time off work and drive into Ottawa or Montreal and schedule an appointment to talk to someone.

What I found out so far, is that if I wanted to fly down to the States and marry my fiance there, this would be the procedure...

"The US citizen must file form I-129F which will take around 5 months. After that beneficiary needs to go through Consular processing to get a non-immigrant visa. This visa, fiancé visa, will allow beneficiary to enter the US and marry the US citizen within 90 days. After that US citizen must file form I-130 for beneficiary to become a resident and form I-485 to adjust status as beneficiary is already in the US. Beneficiary would wait in the United States until status is adjusted. Beneficiary cannot leave the US without an Advance Parole (I-131). In the meantime beneficiary can work. Form I-765 is needed for this purpose.

The cost of the I-129F is 340 US dollars. The cost of I-484 which should include I-131 and I-765 is 985 US dollars.

You can move within the US, but must notify USCIS using form AR-11."

From what info I could gather, that would add up to a cost of approximately $1745 US just for the paperwork.

If she was to fly up here to Canada and we married here, this is what I found out...

"Once married the US Citizen must file a form I-130.

USCIS will take about 5 months to process this petition. After that the beneficiary needs to go through Consular processing to get the Immigrant Visa and be able to move to the States and work.

In the meantime beneficiary needs to remain in Canada.

The cost of the initial process (I-130) is 420 US dollars."

My question is, what paperwork, procedures and cost are involved in the "Consular processing"? Can anyone help me out with that? I need to find out the least complicated and least costly route so we can get married withing the next several months. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Greg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Check this, it compares the different routes, just one note, don't bother with the K3, it's for all purposes a dead end.

So it's either the k1 (fiance) or CR-1 (if you get married before starting the process).

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Edited by yohino

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Where are you getting this from? I stopped reading when I saw that whatever you quoted says that after you enter and marry on an approved K-1 visa you also fill out a I-130. That is incorrect. Is this you quoting yourself or from another place?

Spousal visa is cheaper overall, and the beneficiary can work when they enter the country (this entry triggers their LPR status whereas a K-1 is a non-immigrant visa with the option to apply for Adjustment of Status). In either case, there are visa fees to be paid during interview process. There are guides at the top of the page that should outline exactly what they are.

Also, beneficiary does not need to stay in Canada while things are processing. They can continue to visit as before.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

- K1 visa fees are more expensive than the CR-1 visa fees but if flying to the US is more than $1000 then the CR-1 works out to cost you the same because you don't need to see each other again until the K1 is approved (1 flight to US versus 2).

- If you go CR-1 you can't file until you marry so this slows down your timeline for however long it takes you to get there and marry.

- If you want to get married by a specific deadline then the CR-1 is your route because there's no guarantee when you'll get the K1.

- If money is an issue (which your post states) then the K1 isn't a route for you because the K1 beneficiary can't work for many months until the EAD or GC are approved so you will be supporting your fiancee/wife until she gets the work approval.

- The K1 will mean you're together quicker. Means you don't need to spend months apart from your wife (just fiancee which doesn't sound as bad to me) but does have more expensive fees (though they're spaced out so it doesn't feel that bad.. till you write that cheque for AOS of $1070).

So you need to ask yourself what's more important. Being together quicker, or saving money.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

*** moving to IR-1/CR-1 forum ***

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am american and recently married a canadian. We didn't have a special wedding or anything, we were just married in the courthouse with our parents present. He came down to visit, we got married, he went back to Canada and we filed the I-130. It is cheaper than the fiance visa.

We filed in July but were one of 36,000 that got transferred to TSC and are still waiting to be approved. Needless to say because of the time it's taking, he crosses back and fourth frequently and hasn't been hassled, yet. Once he's here permanently we will have a big wedding ceremony with all of our friends and family present.

Good luck!

USCIS

07/06/10: Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox

07/07/10: Package Received

07/17/10: NOA1

07/26/10: Touched

11/03/10: Case Transferred to TSC

11/30/10: Touched! FINALLY

12/01/10: Touched, AGAIN!

12/02/10: Touched, YET AGAIN!

12/03/10: TOUCHED!

02/14/11:I-130 Approved Happy Valentines Day!

Case was approved in 212 days

NVC

02/18/11: Received NVC Case number

02/20/11: Optin email sent

02/22/11:Submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

02/23/11: AOS invoiced and paid

02/25/11: AOS I-864 Emailed to NVC

03/02/11: IV Bill generated & Paid!

03/08/11: Optin Accepted

03/17/11: DS-260 completed

03/24/11: DS-260 Supporting Documents emailed

03/24/11: Emailed my I-864 AGAIN because NVC is saying they did not receive it.

04/08/11: NVC robot says they are "Awaiting my Biographic Data" which I assume means they reviewed my I-864

04/11/11: NVC is saying I am missing info, that I did not send in all my documents.

04.14.11: NVC is saying i never emailed anything. I contacted my senate office, who is getting things handled for me at NVC.

05.12.11: OMG SIF!

07.11.11-INTERVIEW DATE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.