zips

Can we adjust status?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The issue is with filing after 90 days of the VWP, previously not a problem, now it is.

I have not heard of any issues where those who have filed within the 90 days have had a problem, it may happen.

It is much quicker, if a bit more expensive to go the other way.

Again asking about it before doing it, is contemplating visa fraud, there is a proper visa type for this it is called a K-1, VWP is for visiting only, it has no immigrant intent. If VWP was intended to do this then there would be no point in having a K-1 as an option.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Again asking about it before doing it, is contemplating visa fraud, there is a proper visa type for this it is called a K-1, VWP is for visiting only, it has no immigrant intent. If VWP was intended to do this then there would be no point in having a K-1 as an option.

As has been pointed above, many have no option to 'visit'.

I did the K1, I was in the minority, even now the VWP express seems a more popular option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yea but American are not looking to do the Visa fraud as the OP is looking for.

Just coz you have VWP does not mean you should be abusing the VWP.

Are you serious? I have an american friend in the UK who was telling me about her American friend who was also in the UK who had overstayed for 5 years. Trust me there are many Americans who overstayed in the UK for the same reasons (I imagine) as Britons who overstayed in the USA

Read at your leisure

Overstayer 1

She had an easier time after abusing her stay in the UK for 2.5 years and having an "anchor" baby to boot! What was her punishment? Nothing. No ban. No waiver. Nada.

Oh Now theres a kinda ban... one year if you leave on your own dime.

And according to this article there are 30,000 US overstayers at that date(2008)The UK is just smaller than the state of Oregon.

Edited by Myopia

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As long as we've gotten side tracked... :whistle:

Reciprocity is one of the requirements for a country to be included in the Visa Waiver Program. There are also some non-discretionary requirements, such as law enforcement data sharing and other security requirements, machine readable passports, etc. There's also a requirement that the non-immigrant visa refusal rate must be less than 10%. Prior to 2006, the visa refusal rate had to be less than 3%. Refused VWP applications (through ESTA) are included in that number. The law requires that VWP countries be re-evaluated every two years by DHS. As a result of this periodic re-evaluation, Argentina and Uruguay have been removed from the VWP list.

One of the factors that affects the non-immigrant visa refusal rate for a country is the number of people from that country who overstay their visas. If a substantial percentage of VWP visitors from a particular country overstayed then it could indirectly result in the refusal rate for that country going up. Ultimately, it's possible this could lead to the country being removed from the VWP list. Something to consider when you think that overstaying a non-immigrant entry pass doesn't hurt anybody else. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

As long as we've gotten side tracked... :whistle:

Reciprocity is one of the requirements for a country to be included in the Visa Waiver Program. There are also some non-discretionary requirements, such as law enforcement data sharing and other security requirements, machine readable passports, etc. There's also a requirement that the non-immigrant visa refusal rate must be less than 10%. Prior to 2006, the visa refusal rate had to be less than 3%. Refused VWP applications (through ESTA) are included in that number. The law requires that VWP countries be re-evaluated every two years by DHS. As a result of this periodic re-evaluation, Argentina and Uruguay have been removed from the VWP list.

One of the factors that affects the non-immigrant visa refusal rate for a country is the number of people from that country who overstay their visas. If a substantial percentage of VWP visitors from a particular country overstayed then it could indirectly result in the refusal rate for that country going up. Ultimately, it's possible this could lead to the country being removed from the VWP list. Something to consider when you think that overstaying a non-immigrant entry pass doesn't hurt anybody else. :blush:

Hehe. Now THAT is interesting. :innocent:

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Can my fiance from England come here on VWP, us get married, and he stay here and adjust status? Or do we have to go through the whole K1 process? It just seems like there has got to be away to do this without spending months and months apart.

Have a read here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/294207-so-confused-how-did-you-choose-between-a-cr1-and-and-k1/

As you aren't together physically at the moment, and as you want to be together ASAP then pick the K1. If money is the issue then the CR-1 is not your option (first you need to fly there to marry then come back to file). If you need to work because he can't support you while waiting for you to get a work permit (2-4 months) then the Cr-1 is the route for you but it is the most expensive option for you in your current situation, and will mean waiting longer to be together sooner.

K1 you could get started tomorrow if you wanted. CR-1 needs you to get back together physically to marry.

The thread I mentioned should help you.

Good luck!

p.s. By now you know the VWP isn't the way to go.. WAY too risky and not worth it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.