EvilEmmy

so confused How did you choose between a CR1 and and K1?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I guess i'm on a roll with questions due to being unable to sleep with thinking so much about immigration and reading through the forums. :innocent:

So my second question of the night is how did you choose between a K1 and a CR1?

I'm asking because i'm in this boat with my fiance. I'd rather go the K1 route as would like time to save up and plan things properly while spending time with my family before a potential move. I suggested the CR1 route for if we were to get married with me visiting him on a trip and returning home.

I hate to say this on a public forum but he is under the impression I can just marry and stay no immigration stuff. The closest thing I can compare that to is when i hear of people doing the VWP marrying then filing for AOS even if unplanned or planned. I know this is a no go and incredably risky and I'd rather not have my VWP revoked for trying this method as I have friends scattered throughout the states I hope to one day visit. I will admit I considered it as bad as it is to say that.

I have no qualms with those who've successfuly done this and thrilled that it worked for you :thumbs:

My issue is the few times I did try explain I would like to do it the way that is advised he sort of huffed it off or seems to think it's such a simple process even during my trip I tried bringing the subject up infront of friends and they all said the same oh You marry you'll be legal immediately. I wanted to start filing for a K1 on my last two trips but he lacked funds to pay the fees and I was paying for my trip and food and in the last one I ended up helping pay rent due to unforseen circumstances. He now has decent funds to pay for filing the K1

Unsure of what to do he's never on the phone longer than 5 minutes at phone call and internet time is limited to 5 minutes every 3 days due to having to use a family members computer in their home. I'm hoping he gets the internet super soon as I may just point him to these forums for guidence and proof.

How did you guys discuss this and did any of you have similar issues. Part of me wishes he would file for the K1 visa now if was done it could all be done before mmy next trip I wouldn't even mind delaying from October till after any (hopefully approval). I'd happily fill paperwork in tbe UK for hiim to correct any information. But I feel selfish for wanting to make him see it's been a year of hoping and a year since I first met him yet he's adament he wants me there ASAP even if it the illegal way :o always asking how soon can I go back. Yet he won't even start reading it or preparing for what needs to be done :( . God it's sad to be putting this on a public forum with so many reading I'm a very private person usually. His own mother who keeps incontact with me said he really needs to start doing this and LEGALLY yet nothing, I love him but i don't want to push the subject to the point where I annoy him but part of me is feeling like if he was truly serious wouldn't he be reading and filling forms already since he asked me to marry him twice over a year is a long time and that year could have been used to start the whole process. Rather than constantly waiting. I have no doubt he loves me even his children and family constantly tell me they miss me visiting and that i'm just what he needs :blush:

Sorry for the long vent I look forward to your replies :blink:

~We started chatting online through a chat room in October 2007~

~We decided to have an online a relationship till we felt comfortable enough to meet in January 2008~

~Yay we finally met at chicago airport February 2010~

~Randy asked me to marry him March 2010 (informally with the promise of saving for a ring for my next trip)~

~Stayed with Randy for 3 month Vacation till April 2010 {it was great and I didn't want to come home =0( ~

~October 2010 Went to see randy for a second time for 3 months wohoo (was so sad to leave but it was a great 3 months)~

~25th October 2010 Randy asked me to marry him formally with a twin set ring the day I got there (was the happiest moment of my life)~

~To date saving for a 3rd trip,wedding and birth cert and hopfully applying for a CR-1 visa instead of a K-1 visa as origionally planned~

Timeline

K-1 is for engaged couples ...fiance and fiancees, While IR-1/CR-1 is for already married couples.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Thanks tero :thumbs: I've spent hours reading through all the guides over and over the last few months when wanting to check for any changes. I know the diffence between them I was just asking for vj members how they decided which route to go either while being a couple ie boyfriend and girlfriend moving to enagaged and filing for the K1 or being engaged and marrying on a trip and then filing for a CR1 with foreign spouse staying in the UK. Was just hoping for more input on a personal leval. I do appreciate it though :D

~We decided to have an online a relationship till we felt comfortable enough to meet in January 2008~

~Randy asked me to marry him March 2010 (informally with the promise of saving for a ring for my next trip)~

~Stayed with Randy for 3 month Vacation till April 2010 {it was great and I didn't want to come home =0( ~

~October 2010 Went to see randy for a second time for 3 months wohoo (was so sad to leave but it was a great 3 months)~

~25th October 2010 Randy asked me to marry him formally with a twin set ring the day I got there (was the happiest moment of my life)~

~To date saving for a 3rd trip,wedding and birth cert and hopfully applying for a CR-1 visa instead of a K-1 visa as origionally planned~

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks tero :thumbs: I've spent hours reading through all the guides over and over the last few months when wanting to check for any changes. I know the diffence between them I was just asking for vj members how they decided which route to go either while being a couple ie boyfriend and girlfriend moving to enagaged and filing for the K1 or being engaged and marrying on a trip and then filing for a CR1 with foreign spouse staying in the UK. Was just hoping for more input on a personal leval. I do appreciate it though :D

I feel your concern, I just wanted you to look at the link and compare time vs expenses, and see if that could help in your decision. I think your idea is right to introduce him to this site so he can both learn from others' stories, and from responses to his own questions, so he can understand how complicated the process can get. If he can't take your word for it, maybe he'll be convinced once he becomes a member. Arranging a better internet access should ease things much more.

Edited by Tero

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First to make you feel better:

1. You're not the only one who considered the VWP route but for the same reasons as you, I just didn't want to risk it.

2. My husband (then fiance) was also oblivious to the amount of paperwork involved. My husband is a "mans man" so paperwork isn't his thing so I did the majority

3. LOTS of people think it's just as simple as marry and you're a citizen! I'm not ashamed to tell you that my family thought I was a citizen but I didn't even realise that until my BIL called and asked me when I became a citizen.. they didn't realise "resident" and "citizen" weren't the same thing

So yes, I've (and so have many others) had the same sort of discussions and "issues" that you've had. Whether you go CR-1 or K1 is a personal choice. I made a couple of posts here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/292979-easy-questions-for-those-who-have-answers/ but my main theory was this:

It's not about fees for me, it's about what's right right now. If the OP has a trip planned to the US already then going and getting married isn't a biggie because they can't cancel the flight (well sometimes you can but it's $$) If they have no trip planned then they could file K1 now and be together in 6 months.

I personally prefer the K1 as a "be together ASAP" visa. If there's time, and money is a factor (and the need to travel back to their home country ASAP) then CR-1 is the best option.

Anyway if you want to be together quicker, the K1 is the route for you, it's also cheaper in the short-term. If you go CR-1 you will first need to fly there to get married and THEN start the process.

If you file now you can "save save save" until your get the K1 Visa. If you and your fiance are okay with marrying as soon as you land (or however long the wait period is in his state) you could have your EAD in 3 months and be working. Is your fiance able to support you for 3 or more months? You won't be able to work until you get the EAD, not legally anyway. Your fiance will need to earn more than $18,212 (the levels went up I thought but I can't seem to get the new levels to load again).

Think about it carefully. Based on your post the K1 is the route for you because you'll be together quicker and that was the main theme of your post. Bear in mind that aside from the K1 fees, you'll need $1070 for AOS when you arrive and marry. The K1 isn't as hard as some people make it seem, especially for someone from the UK (and other low fraud countries). He needs the $340 to file the K1 now, and then in about 3-4 months (maybe longer) you'll need money for the:

- medical ($ depends on your doc)

- police checks ($ depends how many you need and where)

- US passport size photos ($ depends on how you do them and where)

- visa application fee (US$350)

Then you need:

- $ for flight to US

- $1070 for AOS

and then that's it for 2 years (minus 90 days) till you pay more money for ROC (around $600). CR-1 visa fees are cheaper but you will need to fly there first to get married and that's not cheap.. but it will mean that you can work as soon as you arrive and if that's a concern then....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There must be a gazillion websites that cover the topic of what's required to obtain permanent resident status as the spouse of a US citizen. With a little searching, you can probably find one that encapsulates everything into a few paragraphs - short enough that even most know-it-all Americans (of which I consider myself to be a member... :whistle: ) would take a few moments to read.

Find that info-in-a-nutshell website and make your fiance read it. The first step is just to get him to realize that there IS a process. Once he understands that, he'll be more willing to look into what the actual process entails. That's when his eyes will really be opened.

I first started looking into the immigration process more than two years ago. I wasn't quite naive enough to think that marriage to a US citizen automatically granted legal status to the foreign spouse, but I was under the impression that it would be considerably simpler than it actually is.

Anyway, whether to go K-1 or CR1 is something you should be discussing with your fiance, and he needs to be educated before you can have this discussion.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This post brings back memories for sure. After I proposed to Mav via internet after 3 years of chat and she said Yes. I said to myself, what now? The first thing I never heard of was a I-129F. Does that give you an idea of how uninformed I was. Now, I'm a bookworm on the subject and have I learned alot about how simple or how hard this can be.

I agree with JimVaPhuong. You need to make sure your Tank is Full of Gas (Information) before you start this Journey.

I choose the K-1 due to barely meeting the Income Requirements. The US Economy right now is not that great. The CR1 would mean I'm legally married and what if USCIS said NO.

I was also Naive about all the costs involved like members have listed above. They even want to know who is going to pay for the Plane Ticket.

You mentioned he had limited internet. I just hope your saving your chat history, emails, etc.

Good Luck.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Timeline

Thanks again tero :) I hadn't seen the link you posted what a brillient comparison system by VJ yet i've spent forever reading through and somehow missed that one :bonk:

Tim yes thos are the first thing that scare anyone is the cost of it all parhaps in a way it's put so many in the past off going through that process it's crikey expensive. Fortunately I had an incling it would cost a fortune as nothing is cheap that's worth it! Yes I've saved both emails, chat logs on yahoo though I lost some due to a reformat darn computers :blink: I also have skype records to his phone number they recently introduced a excel spreadsheet forrmat showing call lists FINALLY as before you had to battle to get those. Plus I've kept my receipts from atm withdrawels out there, boarding passes, etickets, insurence papers, pictures of me with him and his family can you say maybe overprepped. :hehe:

Jim I truly agree there are bazillions of them even one page ones which I had previously spent hours reading through similar ones giving just the barebasic information. I'm truly glad for the VJ forums the advice and guidence has been wonderful here but i'm one who like to know the ins and outs. I'm trying to educate my future hubby I've sent him the links to the UCIS website and well Copied the guidelines for the K1 visa from this site as it's the best one i've come across and tell you what is needed documentationwise. Hope it guides him in a way

VanessaAndTony I agree the K1 seems the more appropriate route for us both, mainly as I would want my mother there for a wedding and invite some friends we both have if this was approved! A whim wedding would be a tad oargh as I know my mum wouldn't be able to make it or some friends as they'd need plenty of notice. :blush:

Randy is a paperwork phobe I swear he hates it with a passion, he has asked me in the past to do some for him which I didn't mind but there are things that even I don't know about over in the UK as some stuff is different. Though I will admit he has everything required paperwork wise for the process so I guess that's a good thing it's just getting him to shift through it, :bonk: as it's in a chest of drawers. :rofl: Makes me look super organised I have two filofaxes one for banking and utilities one for my trips and relationship with randy, I figured if they are seperate no shifting through a ton of paperwork my end wohoo!

It's so true on assumptions of what it is true wirh regards to marrying and citzenship when there are sooooo many myths that are floating round when the guidelines are there for a reason. It's very difficult explaining just how much paperwork is involved I always seem to go the first step is always the most nervous one, but I guess the whole process would actually keep you quite busy and would whiz by I should hope.

Tim I saw the song and I just wanted to comment I remember this and it's a lovely song :dance:

Thanks again for the wonderful replies

Personally I chose the CR1 because it was overall cheaper and simpler. At the time it was also faster. I was able to spend a lot of time in America visiting so we weren't forced to be apart for the whole time.

I had to do most of the paperwork. This was easiest to do whilst in the US. If he is happy/able to compile the K1 petition (even if you fill out most of the forms then send them to him) then I guess that might be the way for you. But if you end up not applying before you next visit him then I would suggest you get married on that visit. It does of course depend on your feelings regarding the wedding, and if you would be satisfied with having a second wedding so your mum etc could be there. If you really don't want a spontaneous wedding then focus your efforts on getting the K1 application started.

Timeline

thanks joanna sorry i havn't replied sooner mmy family pet passed away on monday so I've just been keeping my younger dog occupied and myself and only just thought to check for any other replies.

Seems such a familiar thing the females doing all the paperwork filling :whistle: no offense to the guys who have done it, just seems to be something that keeps cropping up!

Well since my origional post I spoke to my OH and he has pretty much said he doesn't want to do the paperwork as wants to wait till my next trip out there and go consult a lawyer and visit consulate near him about stuff :blink: not sure only I can hazard a guess he's hoping it might be faster that way. :o

Nevermind though I think wwhen he gets to that point i'm sure there will be a indepth discussion of what's next then. At least I know, just was a quick discussion due to time limit on the computer he was borrowing..

:ot: Yeh weddings hummmmn, that;s the main thing I keep getting asked about by mutual friends all I caN say is I don't even know what i'm doing this week let alone a wedding :lol: mind you at the moment all that stuff is the last thing on my mind due to my dog passing i'm trying to get through the week and my guy trying to keep incontact he knows i'm not having a good time.

Thank you again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.