m.h.

CROATIA

870 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I wanted to edit my old post but the forum did not let me, so here is what I was gonna add to my message:

EDIT:

If you get a round ticket and do not use the return ticket it is imperative that you cancel it because airplane companies have been known not to update their passenger manifest and send the information to the government about him leaving the country, which can screw up his adjustment of status (since he is not allowed to leave the US before it is done).

Edited by Ivy.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

I wanted to edit my old post but the forum did not let me, so here is what I was gonna add to my message:

EDIT:

If you get a round ticket and do not use the return ticket it is imperative that you cancel it because airplane companies have been known not to update their passenger manifest and send the information to the government about him leaving the country, which can screw up his adjustment of status (since he is not allowed to leave the US before it is done).

I don't think that it's an imperative to cancel the return ticket because I didn't do that and I didn't have any problems with the AOS. I simply forgot to do that...that's all. But, on the other hand, knowing the whole process, maybe it's not a bad idea to call and cancel. :whistle:

As long as you fulfill the requirements of the visa, CIS doesn't care what kind of ticket you have. The return ticket was cheaper and that was the reason that I bought it.

Some people are buying the one way tickets and they can't prove that they'll leave the country if they don't get married in 90 days. I-94 is a proof when you enter the US and when you have to leave if you don't adjust your status. So, before you get your approval for I-131, Application for Travel Document, or your Green Card, you can't go anywhere outside the country. If you go, then it's your choice and you can't get back because you didn't get a reentry permit.

You can get your reentry permit and travel before you get your Green Card and it still doesn't mean that you adjust your status, but it means that you are in the process of that.

anikitten.gif
ROC Sent: 2012-12-03
Arrived: 2012-12-07
NOA: 2012-12-10
Biometrics: 2013-01-08

Approved: 2013-05-10

event.png
event.png

bok!!!!

Do any of you have any ideas for cheap options for one way tickets from Croatia to the States?

Last we looked they were close to 4,000 USD! wacko.gif

I looked through some websites, and it's possible for me (the USC) to buy them for cheaper. 2,000 USD. I'm hoping the prices go down after the Holidays.

If I buy it. Do I put the American spelling for his name? I'm confused. And 4,000 USD for a one way ticket was not what I was expecting. *dies*

Bok :goofy:

It's cheaper to buy a RT ticket and 4,000 USD is a way to much for one way ticket! As far as I can remember, my ticket was around 2,000 USD. We had a flight from Zagreb to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and from there to Washington with Delta. The same company was from Washington to Hartford. We researched and found the best option and the best combination for us.

My husband bought a ticket from the US.

Here are some links that can help you to see how much would cost a RT ticket. Of course, the prices depend on where are you flying in the US.

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Top-offers

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Flights-g294453-Croatia-Cheap_Discount_Airfares.html

http://www.farecompare.com/flights/Croatia-HR/country.html

It doesn't matter one bit whether you choose a one-way or RT ticket.

As long as you fulfill the requirements of the visa, CIS doesn't care what kind of ticket you have. Do whatever is cheaper. :thumbs:

anikitten.gif

event.png
event.png

Timeline

I've read it many times here as advice, canceling the return ticket. I know most people do not have an issue, but people have been known to have problems, like here or here. Honestly, I'd go with better safe than sorry. This whole process is expensive, stressful and lengthy enough on its own to add this possible problem to it. :)

Edited by Ivy.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Bok :goofy:

It's cheaper to buy a RT ticket and 4,000 USD is a way to much for one way ticket! As far as I can remember, my ticket was around 2,000 USD. We had a flight from Zagreb to Frankfurt with Lufthansa and from there to Washington with Delta. The same company was from Washington to Hartford. We researched and found the best option and the best combination for us.

My husband bought a ticket from the US.

Here are some links that can help you to see how much would cost a RT ticket. Of course, the prices depend on where are you flying in the US.

http://www.lufthansa...s/en/Top-offers

http://www.tripadvis...t_Airfares.html

http://www.farecompa...HR/country.html

It doesn't matter one bit whether you choose a one-way or RT ticket.

As long as you fulfill the requirements of the visa, CIS doesn't care what kind of ticket you have. Do whatever is cheaper. :thumbs:

Thank you!

He's coming from Dubrovnik, but we're looking in to see if it's cheaper for him to bus to Zagreb and fly straight from there. Yeah, I looked at Lufthansa a few weeks ago. And the ticket prices from HR to California were close to 4k USD headbonk.gif

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Timeline

I've read it many times here as advice, canceling the return ticket. I know most people do not have an issue, but people have been known to have problems, like here or here. Honestly, I'd go with better safe than sorry. This whole process is expensive, stressful and lengthy enough on its own to add this possible problem to it. :)

Yikes. That's enough to convince me. If the ticket is cheaper however, we may go that route. ... I suppose I'd go through the extra lengths to cancel it early, and to make sure they took his name off of the flight reservation. ... Or ... if we find one cheap enough just get a 1way ticket. We shall see. lol

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

jest.gif

Thank you!

He's coming from Dubrovnik, but we're looking in to see if it's cheaper for him to bus to Zagreb and fly straight from there. Yeah, I looked at Lufthansa a few weeks ago. And the ticket prices from HR to California were close to 4k USD headbonk.gif

Actually my RT ticket was around 1,200 USD. We traveled with my cats, so we bought the tickets for them and that was a few hundred dollars more. :jest:

The option we chosen was the best for us and the cheapest. I remember that the RT ticket to Boston was significantly more expensive.

As I said, the best is to check all options. The price you mentioned is so high that I can't believe and I am sure that you can find a cheaper ticket.

anikitten.gif

event.png
event.png

bok!!!!

Do any of you have any ideas for cheap options for one way tickets from Croatia to the States?

Last we looked they were close to 4,000 USD! wacko.gif

I looked through some websites, and it's possible for me (the USC) to buy them for cheaper. 2,000 USD. I'm hoping the prices go down after the Holidays.

If I buy it. Do I put the American spelling for his name? I'm confused. And 4,000 USD for a one way ticket was not what I was expecting. *dies*

For all documents you have to put the English version of his first and family name.

anikitten.gif

event.png
event.png

Timeline

Actually my RT ticket was around 1,200 USD. We traveled with my cats, so we bought the tickets for them and that was a few hundred dollars more. :jest:

The option we chosen was the best for us and the cheapest. I remember that the RT ticket to Boston was significantly more expensive.

As I said, the best is to check all options. The price you mentioned is so high that I can't believe and I am sure that you can find a cheaper ticket.

I looked at the other options. And you're right. RT only costs around 1200 USD at the moment. He's willing to take the bus from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, since RT from Dubrovnik is around 2000 USD and a bus ride is only 300 kuna. Ugh. I feel sorry for him already with all that travel time sad.gif

We discussed it, and we'll probably end up doing the RT route. Even if there's a small risk, I'm sure I can spend the extra time on the phone to make follow-up phonecalls to make sure they cancelled his name from the Reservation.

Also, thank you for letting me know about the name. I assume that his visa will have the American spelling, so it'd be ok for me to use that, and it could be proof. Last name won't be a problem. It's the Srđan to Srdjan. Not sure if I should just put Srdan? headbonk.gif

Met Online - 01/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

jest.gif

I looked at the other options. And you're right. RT only costs around 1200 USD at the moment. He's willing to take the bus from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, since RT from Dubrovnik is around 2000 USD and a bus ride is only 300 kuna. Ugh. I feel sorry for him already with all that travel time sad.gif

We discussed it, and we'll probably end up doing the RT route. Even if there's a small risk, I'm sure I can spend the extra time on the phone to make follow-up phonecalls to make sure they cancelled his name from the Reservation.

Also, thank you for letting me know about the name. I assume that his visa will have the American spelling, so it'd be ok for me to use that, and it could be proof. Last name won't be a problem. It's the Srđan to Srdjan. Not sure if I should just put Srdan? headbonk.gif

Visa will have the American spelling so what you wrote on the visa application the same should be on his ticket. If you wrote Srdjan, you have to be sure that the ticket is on Srdjan. If Srdan was on the papers you filled for visa, the ticket should state Srdan.

Once when he'll be here, he'll soon forget about travel time. :yes:

anikitten.gif

event.png
event.png

Timeline

Nov 2008

Visa #1: 6 months, multiple entries.

Jun 2011

Visa #2: 3 months, one entry

Yesterday

- "Hello, I'd like a B2 visa."

- "Sure, why?"

- "I'm going to see my fiance. We're getting married in Croatia next year. I'm gonna do my master's degree here after the wedding and then I'm gonna move to the States."

- "Ok, your visa request has been approved. You can pick it up tomorrow.""

Today

Visa #3: 10 years, multiple entries

Nov 2008

Visa #1: 6 months, multiple entries.

Jun 2011

Visa #2: 3 months, one entry

Yesterday

- "Hello, I'd like a B2 visa."

- "Sure, why?"

- "I'm going to see my fiance. We're getting married in Croatia next year. I'm gonna do my master's degree here after the wedding and then I'm gonna move to the States."

- "Ok, your visa request has been approved. You can pick it up tomorrow.""

Today

Visa #3: 10 years, multiple entries

Super!!! :goofy::energy::jest:

anikitten.gif

event.png
event.png

Timeline

We got our NOA2 today :D

Any ideas where he can get his papers translated? He's in Dubrovnik, and he's unsure if he needs to get this done in Zagreb. (Birth Certificate, Diploma, etc. for when he's here).

Met Online - 01/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

jest.gif

Any ideas where he can get his papers translated? He's in Dubrovnik, and he's unsure if he needs to get this done in Zagreb. (Birth Certificate, Diploma, etc. for when he's here).

They do have international birth certificates available in the local municipalities - (opcina) so he doesn't have to translate that. For diploma translation, have him look up local court certified interpreters/translators. No need to get the diploma apostilled (no matter what they try to tell you).

In the 4+ yrs I have been here, never had any issues either with birth certificate or diploma.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Congrats!!! :goofy::energy::jest:

anikitten.gif

event.png
event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.