one...two...tree

Self Defense

362 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I guess thats not entirely true, you can hunt with them.

since you mentioned percussion cap ...

there are a number of revolvers; 1851 navy, 1858/ 1860/ 1862 army, walkers, derringer, and other percussion style firearms that can be used for more than hunting. rewind your thinking 100+ years on how these were used, prepped for use, and maintained. it wasn't unheard of to keep loaded, dry, and periodically emptied (loads pulled or shot) to keep the loads fresh and ready for use. note regarding these revolver types ... it is prudent to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Edited by natty bumppo

Filed: Timeline

As for penetration, is it really necessary?

Sometimes. I was visiting a friend some years back, and we were comparing the 9mm NATO and the .45 ACP. After some discussion, he pulled out his pistol and shot at a 6" x 6" fence post 20 feet away, on the other side of the road in front his place. The post shook with the first round, so there was no doubt he hit it. Not to be outdone, I pulled my VP70Z, and fired at the post. Nothing. I fired again. Still nothing. Thinking I missed the post (not that hard to do with the stiff trigger pull on that particular autoloader), we walked across the road to check it out. Sure enough, there was the .45 caliber round stuck in the post, but no obvious sign of the 9mm rounds, until we looked at the back side, where we could see where my two rounds exited, two almost perfect 3/8" holes drilled through the post.

Edited by Some Old Guy

i (L) Sig handguns. i have a p229 & a sp2340. IMO-yes penetration is necessary.

Both nice handguns.

Why is penetration necessary?

Sometimes. I was visiting a friend some years back, and we were comparing the 9mm NATO and the .45 ACP. After some discussion, he pulled out his pistol and shot at a 6" x 6" fence post 20 feet away, on the other side of the road in front his place. The post shook with the first round, so there was no doubt he hit it. Not to be outdone, I pulled my VP70Z, and fired at the post. Nothing. I fired again. Still nothing. Thinking I missed the post (not that hard to do with the stiff trigger pull on that particular autoloader), we walked across the road to check it out. Sure enough, there was the .45 caliber round stuck in the post, but no obvious sign of the 9mm rounds, until we looked at the back side, where we could see where my two rounds exited, two almost perfect 3/8" holes drilled through the post.

Exactly why folks say the 9 doesn't have enough stopping power - it just doesn't transfer enough energy. It'll bore through but much of that energy continues right on out the other side.

The 45 may not have went all the way through, but it shook the post, meaning ALL of it's energy was transferred to the target. Translated - all that energy reverberated thorugh the inside of whatever was shot. In humans, that means vital organs and other soft tissues can explode upon impact, even if they're missed by the actual bullet or fragments.

This debate's been going on forever and no doubt, it'll continue. Same as the 7.62 vs. 5.56. Bigger, fatter, slower vs. smaller and quicker. Personally I prefer smaller and quicker for precision rifle work and bigger, slower, for handguns.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Even more traumatizing..... a mutilated corpse. Not a vision I can unsee..... and my husband is out of town..... and we've not long relocated here so I don't know anyone to keep me company and take my mind off it. :(

i always recommend my friends remington and winchester. :thumbs:

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Even more traumatizing..... a mutilated corpse. Not a vision I can unsee..... and my husband is out of town..... and we've not long relocated here so I don't know anyone to keep me company and take my mind off it. :(

I heard that the Saw movies are quite soothing in situations like this. :lol: