one...two...tree

Self Defense

362 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

A collector. By far the majority of my guns never get "used" for hunting or shooting. No more than a stamp collector mails letters letters with his stamps or a coin collector uses them in vending machines. YES they need to be real, functional, intact and complete. Coin collectors don't collect play money coins.

knowing how to identify a collectible piece takes work just like in any hobby. it's always nice to occasionally shot the collectible firearm so it doesn't always sit in the safe (better know as a safe queen). i've been fortunate to not only hold/ handle serious collector pieces ... yet to also shoot these firearms that have a higher dollar value than a new car ... (and i'm not talking about a low-end honda civic).

it's more than just buying something new and keeping it for lots of years hoping it will increase in value. i've know people who would simply buy a new COTS (commercial off the shelf) plain old everyday firearm and put away NIB (collect) for future value. not sure how they've fared on their "collections", yet using todays prices some of these people would have been better off buying savings bonds.

it's also interesting to note that people speak evil things regarding the calibers of some very collectible 100+ year old firearms. ignorance is one thing that can be corrected. stupidity ... well that is another story.

I think you stereotype Russian women when you talk about them.

In Russia it's not a stereotype. They actually enjoy being women over there.

slim - in reply to me avoiding stuff instead of confronting people. rebeccca was right, going into the "ghetto" would be like me going to kmart instead of nordstroms.

But that still doesn't mean you should change how you address people.

thats why i like the .40s&w. you get the +'s of both.

Ever heard of Para Ordnance? Nothing like 14+1 in .45. That'll take care of your capacity problem.

ETA - if you don't mind carrying a plastic gun the Glocks, XDs, USPs will take care of you. Sig makes a nice .45 as well.

As for penetration, is it really necessary?

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

knowing how to identify a collectible piece takes work just like in any hobby. it's always nice to occasionally shot the collectible firearm so it doesn't always sit in the safe (better know as a safe queen). i've been fortunate to not only hold/ handle serious collector pieces ... yet to also shoot these firearms that have a higher dollar value than a new car ... (and i'm not talking about a low-end honda civic).

it's more than just buying something new and keeping it for lots of years hoping it will increase in value. i've know people who would simply buy a new COTS (commercial off the shelf) plain old everyday firearm and put away NIB (collect) for future value. not sure how they've fared on their "collections", yet using todays prices some of these people would have been better off buying savings bonds.

it's also interesting to note that people speak evil things regarding the calibers of some very collectible 100+ year old firearms. ignorance is one thing that can be corrected. stupidity ... well that is another story.

Some of my guns are collected, not because they are so terribly valuable, but because they are interesting to me. Winchester's autoloader 1905, 1907 and 1910 series for example and the 1903 .22 autoloader. None are "WOW" valuable, none are particularly useful (then or now)but they are interesting to me, both historically, what they represented in firearms development, and in the challenge of loading ammo for them. I have shot them, but I do not "shoot them" regularly. Actually it would be a full time job just to cycle through shooting all my guns.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Some of my guns are collected, not because they are so terribly valuable, but because they are interesting to me. Winchester's autoloader 1905, 1907 and 1910 series for example and the 1903 .22 autoloader. None are "WOW" valuable, none are particularly useful (then or now)but they are interesting to me, both historically, what they represented in firearms development, and in the challenge of loading ammo for them. I have shot them, but I do not "shoot them" regularly. Actually it would be a full time job just to cycle through shooting all my guns.

This is something I understand. I enjoy muzzle loaders, both flintlock and percussion cap. Obviously they serve no real world purpose. I could see it now, an intruder breaks in.

"Excuse me sir, would you please wait a minute while I load the powder, wad, and round and then ram it?"

Timeline

being a simple working stiff does have it's drawbacks. having friends that can afford the real expensive stuff and are kind enough to let you enjoy too is always nice.

like you, it's the interest, historical, and challenge to reload. in some instances it's trying to reinvent the wheel (meaning ... people did reload these things all the time decades ago ... i can develop as accurate or better load than they did ... right? :unsure: )

it's a bonus when you find something that actually meets the above criteria and gains in value as well.

Timeline

This is something I understand. I enjoy muzzle loaders, both flintlock and percussion cap. Obviously they serve no real world purpose. I could see it now, an intruder breaks in.

"Excuse me sir, would you please wait a minute while I load the powder, wad, and round and then ram it?"

really? :unsure:

Filed: Timeline

slim - why would I approach people in the ghetto? :unsure:

btw when I lived in Los Angeles I would frequent an area of Crenshaw because it was one of the few branches my bank had that wasn't located downtown. all of the people I came across were really nice to me.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

btw when I lived in Los Angeles I would frequent an area of Crenshaw because it was one of the few branches my bank had that wasn't located downtown. all of the people I came across were really nice to me.

Amby hanging out on the Shaw? :rofl:

I used to live 2 blocks off of Crenshaw Blvd.......... but well past Pacific Coast Highway, so it was a good neighborhood lol.

I could see it now, an intruder breaks in.

Sure beats standing there with a Louisville Slugger.

See. My point exactly. Sometimes you may find yourself in the ghetto and you don't exactly have to go out of your way to find nice, friendly people. All this stereotypical "the homies on the corner" ####### is just that. #######. Sure, there are some homies on the corner, but if you approach them like normal people, they're going to respond in the same manner.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

Amby hanging out on the Shaw? :rofl:

I used to live 2 blocks off of Crenshaw Blvd.......... but well past Pacific Coast Highway, so it was a good neighborhood lol.

I would say this area was sorta bad. I only discovered it when my aunt insisted on taking my cousin to have his picture taken with a black santa to send to his grandma because his grandma is super racist.

I did think the Magic Johnson theater quite interesting. My friend asked me to meet there to see a film and I I was like :blink: when a message came up before the movie asking everyone to keep gang colors out of the theater.

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

thats why i like the .40s&w. you get the +'s of both.

same here :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in a ghettoish neighborhood.. there is supposedly a couple of gangs that have set up shop in the neighborhood and a few years back someone was shot and killed at the other end of the street from us.. I don't live my life in fear though but I do try and take precautions.. like I try and not be outside by myself when it gets dark and I never look people in the eye as I am walking down the street but I don't look down at my shoes when I walk either :P I always try and be aware of my surroundings too....

My husband who grew up in similar if not worse neighborhoods told me to never look people in the eye..

mvSuprise-hug.gif