DiZZyLoX

USCIS Testimonies and Speeches

61 posts in this topic

This guy actually said that VSC has no backlog!

Oh no! Another conspiracy?!

Given this was published in March 2010, and VSC had more petitions processed than submitted....

http://dashboard.uscis.gov/index.cfm?formtype=6&office=6&charttype=1

Don't assume everything is a 'lie'.

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

"Our processing times are actually a source of pride for us rather than a source of anxiety and concern."

Coming from the same guy who thinks there is no backlog, it comes as no surprise.

Timeline

Oh no! Another conspiracy?!

Given this was published in March 2010, and VSC had more petitions processed than submitted....

http://dashboard.usc...e=6&charttype=1

Don't assume everything is a 'lie'.

The backlog was about 90 days at that point. Maybe to him there was no backlog, but I think the people who were forced to sit for 90 days felt otherwise.

You may feel that being forced to wait 90 days or some other amount of days is reasonable, and I don't doubt it or call you wrong in your belief. But there are people who think that government should be more responsive to the needs of its citizens than that, and I think that government should be extremely more responsive than that. Neither of us are wrong; it is just a matter of two different opinions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Well, that confirms the "speculation" by numerous members here about USCIS prioritizing non-citizens over citizens. Though, only one to blame for this is Napolitano, not those working at USCIS.

Interesting read though and i hope their request for a budget increase makes them more efficent in processing applications.

What you said makes no sense. :blink: How do you figure they are prioritizing non-citizens? Of course they are prioritizing non-citizens, that's who applies for immigration. Additionally, every petition has both a citizen and a non-citizen attached to it; that's the point of family-based immigration, including adoption.

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

Timeline

What you said makes no sense. :blink: How do you figure they are prioritizing non-citizens? Of course they are prioritizing non-citizens, that's who applies for immigration. Additionally, every petition has both a citizen and a non-citizen attached to it; that's the point of family-based immigration, including adoption.

Not so. What about the onslaught of TPS that has been clogging up the system for most of 2010 and continuing? Where are the citizens in that?

As I have said before and firmly adhere to in the face of a lot of opposition, some even suggesting that I am a racist, K1 and K3 are special because they directly impact the right of American citizens to marry as they see fit. Those petitions should get TOP priority over ALL other petitions, but USCIS seems to think that we should be at the bottom of the pile instead.

As for USCIS giving non-citizens the priorities they deny giving to them, look at the last entry in your timeline. That e-mail is the smoking gun proof that our K-1 petitions are indeed getting pushed aside so that petitions NOT involving American citizens get worked on first. That is the wrong choice and needs to stop, ASAP.

Edited by Al422

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Non-citizens do not apply for K-1s, CR/IR1s, the citizen does, the non-citizen doesn't even really matter until USCIS approves of the petition.

Last time I checked, TPS is NOT done by citizens. Clearly you need need to actually read what each petition requires on the USCIS site before you make a blanket statement. Furthermore, the posted link goes into great detail how the administration begun to cater to the needs of non-citizens, specifically, Haitians, asap. Also there was a link posted here a month or so ago where reporters found out that illegals in the U.S. from Haiti were given TPS visas (about 130,000 illegals).

I don't even need to engage you anymore. You proved your mentality several months ago on the forums in regards to your petition.

"Charity begins in the home", U.S. government would be better off if they followed that saying.

Edited by Blob18

Timeline

No country in the entire world, other than the U.S., would remotely consider ignoring the needs of its own citizens to help foreigners.

And here is that e-mail, which apparently was not meant by USCIS to be seen by non-Haitian eyes, on a public messaging board, so the world can now see how USCIS screws its own citizens:

12-13-2010 Response via email, all VISAs from Haiti are expedited

"VSC has pulled all Haitian National pending petitions (including petitions that were returned from an American Consulate or American Embassy) for adjudicative review. These cases have been prioritized and are currently being adjudicated in an expeditious manner."

I think it has always been the case (and the argument) that the U.S. gets involved in matters that are not theirs...i.e. foreign affairs.

But at the same time, guys, that is what our country is made of and began as...foreign affairs, immigration, other people that are brought or come here. I think that (now this is my opinion) that we need two branches. One that controls immigration non related to us-citizens either through catastrophic events where we are for whatever reason compelled to intervene or by granting citizenship to those who have been here illegally, and the other that concentrates on legal immigration of those attached to U.S. Citizens. That might piss some people off seeing as how things seem to either be black or white, no room for gray in politics, but the problem is we have both ...needs, if you will. And the government is going to see that it is a) getting involved in catastrophic events that affect those and make us look awesome for helping and b) appeasing and encouraging immigration where it is attached to a u.s. citizen in some way.

I'm afraid there never will be a black or white, guys. We'll always be fighting this one. The best they can do is try to manage it the best they can because I can't tell you who should be expedited and who shouldn't. I can only tell you I wish this didn't take so long. The only way I see them appeasing that is creating a branch specific to my needs(how selfish of me, i know)without the interference of things that "come up" and hiring enough people to handle the volume.

Then that all boils down to money doesn't it?

Slippery slopes all over the place and all I have is a paddle! ;)

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Non-citizens do not apply for K-1s, CR/IR1s, the citizen does, the non-citizen doesn't even really matter until USCIS approves of the petition.

Last time I checked, TPS is NOT done by citizens. Clearly you need need to actually read what each petition requires on the USCIS site before you make a blanket statement. Furthermore, the posted link goes into great detail how the administration begun to cater to the needs of non-citizens, specifically, Haitians, asap. Also there was a link posted here a month or so ago where reporters found out that illegals in the U.S. from Haiti were given TPS visas (about 130,000 illegals).

I don't even need to engage you anymore. You proved your mentality several months ago on the forums in regards to your petition.

"Charity begins in the home", U.S. government would be better off if they followed that saying.

WE ARE A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS. The department of UNITED STATES CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION deals with IMMIGRANTS.

I am glad to know that my application was prioritized. If you have problems with that, take it up with Napolitano.

No country in the entire world, other than the U.S., would remotely consider ignoring the needs of its own citizens to help foreigners.

And here is that e-mail, which apparently was not meant by USCIS to be seen by non-Haitian eyes, on a public messaging board, so the world can now see how USCIS screws its own citizens:

12-13-2010 Response via email, all VISAs from Haiti are expedited

"VSC has pulled all Haitian National pending petitions (including petitions that were returned from an American Consulate or American Embassy) for adjudicative review. These cases have been prioritized and are currently being adjudicated in an expeditious manner."

Right, they treated me well. I am a US citizen with a loved one in Haiti. This email was in response to my request as a US CITIZEN for an expedite for my fiance.

Edited by JoyDee

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

Filed: Timeline

For those of us who want to skip to the highlights of the USCIS Director's testimony and the video, here are the most important quotes.

In the video, the interviewer asks, "My son's I-129F Fiancee petition was filed in Vermont . . . It's been 3 years and 3 months. The question is 'is the Vermont Service Center still backlogged?'".

USCIS Director Alejandro Mayorkas answers, "The Vermont Service Center does not have backlogs. I don't know why that particular petition is taking the time it is taking. And congratulations on the engagement. There are times where cases take a while for very principled reasons. I'm not saying it's very particular to this case . . . We have a very expansive portfolio. We have a fraud detection and national security portfolio. And we have a portfolio welcoming people from all over the world. And those two must coexist . . . There are cases that present national security concerns. And sometimes those take quite some time. They some times fall way outside our ordinary processing times . . . so that the individual before us does not present a risk."

I think this has been the most helpful thread I have seen on this site for some time. Thank you for providing the links to the PDF document and the video. Based on my understanding of his testimony in the video, he is clearly side-stepping that particular case presented to him by the interviewer either because he does not wish to comment on a case he has no knowledge of or he is repeating a rehearsed response prior to the interview since he must have faced these questions before about their abnormal delays. Given his response afterward, USCIS is apparently scrutinizing the people for whom we are petitioning out of concern they might pose a security risk, even though we are hopeful they will become our future spouses.

And from the PDF document about the USCIS Director's testimony before the House Committee on Appropriations, apparently the agency is facing challenges from a drop in fee revenues which they must compensate with more appropriations from Congress or taxpayer's money, an effort to work through the remaining TPS applications for Haitian nationals, and other things. Here are the relevant passages from the document in case someone is questioning my facts.

"As I suggested earlier, in the midst of significant successes, USCIS has significant challenges that it is working to overcome. The most immediate is a drop in fee revenue."

"The appropriations request is $162 million above the FY 2010 enacted level. This increase largely accounts for our request for fully funding the asylum and refugee programs through appropriations. USCIS continues to face a marked decline in fee revenue from levels projected prior to the downturn in the economy."

"This year, Congress appropriated $50 million in funding to cover the FY 2010 fourth quarter costs of asylum and refugee programs for which beneficiaries are not charged fees. The costs of these programs are applied as surcharges on the fees of applicants for other immigration benefits. The FY 2011 budget requests a $207 million appropriation to fully fund these programs."

And about the earthquake in Haiti, "Other employees worked day and night to build the significant operation necessary for us to extend Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to eligible Haitian nationals in this country. Just three days after the earthquake, Secretary Napolitano announced the designation of TPS for Haitian nationals living in the United States on or before Jan. 12. Through February, USCIS has received nearly 25,000 applications for Haitian TPS. We have worked assiduously since Jan. 12 to ensure our ability to adjudicate TPS applications in a timely manner."

After reading all this and soaking it in, it makes sense why we are seeing such huge delays. But we all share the common frustration that K-1 and K-3 visas should be given the highest priority since we are tax-paying citizens. Nevertheless, this is not the case. Obviously, USCIS over the past year has given more time and energy in processing TPS applications for Haitians. But we must not overlook the fact that USCIS is not immune to the effects of the huge recession we went through over the past 2 years, which I hypothesize is the reason for their reduction in fees. And if they are asking for more appropriations from Congress, I personally think Congress will grant them a reduced fund in 2011 while expecting better results with those limited funds since, after all, Congress finances many of the government's programs with more and more loans. I am personally as frustrated as before I read the article and watched the video, but my awareness of their situation helps me realize the wait will not be reduced any time soon for any of us.

Timeline

In other words, we are getting surcharged for the privilege of getting pushed to the back of the line so a specific ethnic group can get priority service.

This would be the same as if blacks in the South in the 1950s were surcharged to ride in the back of the bus so white people could get reduced fare.

I do not fault the Haitian poster here for getting his expedite. He has a responsibility to his fiance to get her here in the minimum possible amount of time, and if he is given an edge, he does not have the luxury of deciding that the edge is not morally correct. The edge was there, and whether it was fair or not, he used it.

I won't draw any conclusions about what is happening lately because a bunch of people will jump down my throat just like they did in another thread yesterday because I did not write what they wanted to read. So draw your own conclusions from the e-mail I pasted into my earlier post, what the director said, and the fact that both VSC and CSC have appeared to grid to a halt on I129f petitions after hoping that two weeks of a little action would shut us up for a while.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The drop in fee revenues is because there has been a drop in petition submissions. Also, if you'll notice from the director's remarks, until relatively recently, almost all services by USCIS were funded by fees - not taxpayers. They changed this last year so that the taxpayers will now be paying for asylum and refugee applicants, rather than being subsidized by fee-paying USCIS customers.

I read through the entire PDF. I didn't get the impression he was explaining anything at all about backlogs. The entire statement amounted to an appeal for more money from Congress. The points about processing Haitian refugees was primarily to tug at the heartstrings of the Congressional committee to justify begging for more money. I suspect that the recent organizational changes have more to do with the slowdown than anything else. A bureaucracy this large comes to a grinding halt when you try to steer it in a different direction.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

The drop in fee revenues is because there has been a drop in petition submissions. Also, if you'll notice from the director's remarks, until relatively recently, almost all services by USCIS were funded by fees - not taxpayers. They changed this last year so that the taxpayers will now be paying for asylum and refugee applicants, rather than being subsidized by fee-paying USCIS customers.

I read through the entire PDF. I didn't get the impression he was explaining anything at all about backlogs. The entire statement amounted to an appeal for more money from Congress. The points about processing Haitian refugees was primarily to tug at the heartstrings of the Congressional committee to justify begging for more money. I suspect that the recent organizational changes have more to do with the slowdown than anything else. A bureaucracy this large comes to a grinding halt when you try to steer it in a different direction.

Forgive me, but I find this difficult to agree with. I, too, read through the entire PDF and watched the entire video. Afterall, I posted them for your benefit.

Whether any of you like it or not the TPS applications were real. The numbers are real. The shake up in the normal processing of petitions and applications did happen and all are effected. I do understand that we are an acute population of petitioners and beneficiaries focused on a sector of the USCIS. I get that.

But what I find myself frustrated with is the blind eye I am finding some (not all, obviously) are turning to the hundreds of thousands of other things going on at USCIS.

Drives me crazy.

Alas, nothing I can do or control other than myself, my research, education and what I do with it. But I cannot sit here and pretend through my silence that you are correct in your assumptions. Not to say you are wrong. Not to take away from your opinion. Just...are you kidding me? Pulling at heart strings? Seriously? As if it didn't happen? CMON son.

The fact is these folks DO NEED more money after a backup to fund the additions needed in order to catch back up. or at the very least start shifting petitions around so they do catch up.

I'm gonna leave this thread to it. Y'all are gonna get me all worked up ;).

----------

On a side note, I am happy that you all are finding some use of the information I found. I had hoped it would give some insight that the USCIS is not silent, and are working to improve. But if you must use it to find some way to make yourselves more miserable, well then I guess that's okay too. Not preferred, but OK.

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All -

I found this an interesting read and a good insight as to what happened in 2010 that has created such a slow down in the VSC and CSC and has affected all our petitions.

Figured it may be an interesting read for you all too.

Testimonies & Speeches

<3diz

Thanks for the information. USCIS, like the rest of the government, is being funded at Fiscal Year 2010 levels because Congress has not approved a budget for Fiscal Year 2011. The increased budget that he has requested has yet to be approved or denied.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

This and how they prioritize your immigration needs comes to you courtesy of those that you all voted into office.

I trust that all you voted?

Maybe you will consider what is really important to your life next time?

:ot: Why do you assume or insinuate that none of us voted? And that last little 'scolding' of yours to consider what is important in our lives? I think we all know. Clearly, your post has nothing to do with the topic but something for the Political and Religious forum. And yes, in case your wondering, I voted. :ot2:

sparkling-usa-flag.gifMarivalentine60.gifKadir Turkey%20flag-L-anim.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.