Hilarious Clinton

Leading Pakistani politician slain by own guard

70 posts in this topic

ISLAMABAD — The governor of Pakistan's powerful Punjab province was shot dead in the capital Tuesday by one of his guards, who told interrogators afterward that he was angry about the politician's stance against the country's blasphemy law, officials said.

The killing of Salman Taseer was the most high-profile assassination of a political figure in Pakistan since the slaying of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in December 2007, and it rattled a country already dealing with crises ranging from a potential collapse of the government to Islamist militancy.

The killing could also add to concerns about inroads by Islamist extremists and fundamentalists into Pakistan's security establishment.

Taseer was a member of Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party and a close associate of President Asif Ali Zardari, Bhutto's widower. The governor was vocal on a range of subjects, even using Twitter to get across his views.

In recent days, as the People's Party has faced the loss of its coalition partners, the 56-year-old Taseer has insisted that the government will survive. But it was his very public stance against the blasphemy law that apparently led to his killing.

Rights groups say the law is often exploited by religious extremists as well as ordinary Pakistanis to settle personal scores. Islamist groups have been angry over what they believe were government plans to change or scrap the law.

The killing came as Pakistan's Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani tried to muster support for the government after a main coalition partner quit over government fuel price policies.

Proud killer?

An intelligence official interrogating the suspect, identified as Mumtaz Qadri, told The Associated Press that the bearded elite force police commando was boasting about the assassination, saying he was proud to have killed a blasphemer.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to media on the record.

110104-assassin-vmed-7a.grid-3x2.jpg T. MUGHAL / EPA Policeman Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, (center, background) sits in a police vehicle after being detained by colleagues following the killing of Salman Taseer. Qadri is 26 and from Barakhao, a neighborhood on the outskirts of Islamabad, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said.

A witness at the scene said Taseer was stepping out of his car at a shopping area when he was shot.

"The governor fell down and the man who fired at him threw down his gun and raised both hands," said the witness, Ali Imran.

The shooting left blood stains on a parking area on the edge of the Kohsar shopping center, which is popular among foreigners in Islamabad.

"It was one shot first and then a burst. I think nine or 10 shots," said R.A. Khan, another witness who was drinking coffee at the time. "I rushed and saw policemen over another police commando, who was lying on road with his face down."

Taseer was believed to be on his way to see someone for a meal, Malik said. Other members of his security detail were being questioned, Malik said, who added that the security for Taseer was provided by the Punjab government.

"We will see whether it was an individual act or someone had asked him" to do it, Malik said of the attacker.

Sense of crisis

Taseer, a liberal and charismatic politician close to President Asif Ali Zardari, had no role in day-to-day central government but his killing will compound a sense of crisis.

The blasphemy law came under the spotlight after a court sentenced a Christian mother of four, Asia Bibi, to death in a case stemming from a village dispute.

Story: Cleric offers reward to kill Christian woman

The law enjoys widespread support in Pakistan, which is more than 95 percent Muslim, and most politicians are loathe to be seen as soft on the defense of Islam.

But Taseer had visited Bibi in prison in a campaign for her release.

"I was under huge pressure sure 2 cow down b4 rightist pressure on blasphemy. Refused. Even if I'm the last man standing," Taseer wrote on his Twitter page last Friday.

His assassination in broad daylight will reinforce the impression that the government is nowhere near to stabilizing the country.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40905882/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So a politician is assassinated for religious rather than political reasons? Sorry txn I don't think you're going to be lucky with that line of attack.

Why do you say things that make you look like a fool? Honestly, i am curious..

Religion of peace.kicking.gif

the very same religion that the murdered man was an adherent of, genius. this governor is the real martyr. i think he's due a huge deal of respect and admiration, for standing up for his religious beliefs in the face of murdering thugs. he took a stand for real islam, and it cost him his life. his religion was islam, and the way he practiced it, it was peace, justice, and good.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

But Taseer had visited Bibi in prison in a campaign for her release.

"I was under huge pressure sure 2 cow down b4 rightist pressure on blasphemy. Refused. Even if I'm the last man standing," Taseer wrote on his Twitter page last Friday.

this guy pwns internet blowhard bigots.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

An influential group of 500 clerics and scholars from the Barelvi sect, which opposes the Taliban, praised Taseer's assassination.

500!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40923917/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

The next day thousands turned up for his funeral in spite of calls by numerous religious scholars against honouring him. Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and thousands of supporters of the ruling PPP attended funeral prayers in Lahore. He was buried at a military cantonment in Lahore.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/2011/01/201115135528691282.html

thousands!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

"Extremist thought has become so mainstream that what we need to question in Pakistan is what people think constitutes extremism now," said Fasi Zaka, a 34-year-old radio host and columnist.

The same is happening here among the non-Muslims.

I just realized something...... it's not blasphemy if it's true.

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline

the very same religion that the murdered man was an adherent of, genius. this governor is the real martyr. i think he's due a huge deal of respect and admiration, for standing up for his religious beliefs in the face of murdering thugs. he took a stand for real islam, and it cost him his life. his religion was islam, and the way he practiced it, it was peace, justice, and good.

Please refrain from insulting others when trying to make your point. Thank you.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please refrain from insulting others when trying to make your point. Thank you.

The point was made, quite clearly. There was no insult there. A bit of sarcasm, sure, but a person would have to be pretty thin skinned to consider that a personal insult.

Let's face it, there are a lot more overt ways of saying the same thing than just "genius".

Why is that more worthy of moderation than the ever present "religion of peace" labels that illustrate only bigotry, ignorance, and a desire to upset people of Muslim persuasion?

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Much ado was made about another recent thread on the topic of the blaspheme death case then this murder happens. Apparently the fall out from the ridiculous law, it's application in the instant case, and debate amongst supporters and detractors is still timely and worthy of comment.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

The point was made, quite clearly. There was no insult there. A bit of sarcasm, sure, but a person would have to be pretty thin skinned to consider that a personal insult.

Let's face it, there are a lot more overt ways of saying the same thing than just "genius".

Why is that more worthy of moderation than the ever present "religion of peace" labels that illustrate only bigotry, ignorance, and a desire to upset people of Muslim persuasion?

Yes one could serial repetition of bigotry, ignorance etc accusational posting to be personal attacks... Not sure if Krikit was referring to you though...

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS