silvana.toma

how about going back to school? any opinions?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I married my fiance in oct.2010 now we are in the middle of our AOS process, and as i was looking at jobs for when i will get my EAD and realized how hard it is to get a good paying job. Even for $8 an hour it seems like you need to have a whole new set of brains... :blink:

I worked on cruise ships for many years, but that doesn't seem to help in the real world.

SO, i know it's hard to go back to school, especially when you are not 20 anymore(i'm going to be 29 soon) but i think it's the only way to have a career and make some decent money. I have been thinking about radiology tec, it's a two year program, that i can also do that online, in case i want to find a job. Have any of you been to school in us? how hard is it? i know they have to convert grades, and maybe i even have to pass a test...

also..i noticed my hubby has a major in psichology, and his job has nothing to do with what he went to school for. Also i have read, and heard many people with collage degree work in wall mart, or have very low paying jobs. That's why i think it's important these days to focus your energy towards something that is in demand, and that will secure you a job after school.

Any opinions?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife has been taking classes at the local community college.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went back to school in the US when I was 27 and it was an adjustment to their grading policies. If you are a dedicated student, I don't think you'll have an issue. The first step is to contact the school to see what their requirements are for the program you are interested in and if you need to get transcripts evaluated...what do they suggest

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

If you worked on cruise ships, you might be able to use that experience to find work in a hospitality-type job, like at an upscale salon or as a personal shopper or a maitre d' at a fancy restaurant or something.

If you want to switch fields, then a degree could be great, but I'd be wary of anything online. They could be reputable, but the most important thing is to figure out if your local hospital or whatever really hires people with degrees from XX program. I know there are all these commercials that show happy people who completed a program in under X months! Idk, I am a PhD candidate, so I've been in school forever... lol. Some of those commercials and for-profit school are worrisome. I'd just do a lot of research on the programs before jumping in.

I have only been to school here, so I don't know if it's hard compared to elsewhere. But my undergrad had a large foreign student population (maybe even like half... wow) and it was expressed there that some foreign students have trouble adjusting to US school because in a US school, a student is expected to study continuously throughout the term, whereas in many foreign countries, the whole grade is dependent on a giant final exam that students cram for. There were warnings that students actually had to go to class to get a passing grade and pay attention to all lectures, not just study from a book. Idk if that is applicable to you and the education system in Romania, but just throwing it out there :)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Because English is not your first language, you may need to take TOEFL or any test to prove you are proficient in English. Also, check to see if the college of your choice offers modifications for students whose first language is not English, like extended time to turn in assignments or to take tests, the use of dictionary during exams, etc. Your English is perfect but you never know when these mods can help!

2-7-11 - Day 0 -sent AOS package (concurrent filling)

2-11-11-Day 4 - received text message from USCIS with the receipt number

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2-22-2011 -Day 15- received biometrics letter -appt March 14

3-10-2011- still cannot see case online although I called USCIS two days ago

3-14-2011- Day 35- Biometrics done on the appointment day

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

3-26-2011-Day 48-Received interview appt letter

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

4-11-2012-Day 69- received EAd&AP combo in mail! Bad picture!

4-26-2011-Day 84-APPROVED!!! Card production ordered!

4-30-2011-Day 88-Welcome to America letter received

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

as1cEY2003-0000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDYxOTN8V2UgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIG1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

When I was young, my dad forced me to study business, because it's a "practical" degree. I was never very good at it and hated it. Yet what I learned helped me to make money, and when I moved to the US I didn't come empty-handed. I also lived in 7 European countries, which in turn aided me in learning foreign languages. It wasn't easy, but it was a worthwhile experience.

I always wanted to study Philosophy, and since I didn't have an appropriate visa and couldn't provide a US High School diploma, I went back to a private school and got one. That's right, at age 36 and even with a B.A. in business I got a US High School Diploma!

I then went to a community college where I eventually transferred with a 3.85 GPA and honors to UCLA. There I got a B.A. in Philosophy and graduated Magna Cum Laude. Even though it wasn't a "practical" degree, what I learned in school was invaluable and helped me immensely ever since, not only in regard to the English language, but in so many other ways.

I'm now 53, pretty old, yet I'm thinking about getting a Master's in Political Science "on the side."

I have a Professor of English Literature in my family. He got his Ph.D. late in life and when he married my sister in-law, she didn't even have a High School Diploma as she was one of 7 girls in the family and money had always been very tight. Yet she was really smart and got her GED. Right afterward they moved from California to Wyoming where she studied Archeology. When done, her husband got a job at a major university in Southern California and she started on her Master's while working for the US Forest Service. She's 54 now and I have no doubt that she made the right decision.

What does that tell you? It's never too late to go to school again. Some people say "but I'll be 40 by the time I'm done" and use it as an excuse not to go to school. But they'll be 40 at some time anyway, just this time without a degree. If the time needed to education is taken from the time that would usually go to watching TV or just hanging out with other people, it's time well spend.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thank you all for your input. I also had the same feeling-it's never late to go back to school, and you will always have an excuse why not to do it. My hubby works as admissions director at senior rehab center, and he is thinking in getting his MBA so he can become an administrator. I told him it will take 2 years or so, but where will he be in two years from now? exactley.... IN THE SAME SPOT, if he doesn't do the MBA. Time will go by anyway might as well do something useful with it.

Harpa ...you are right..(i can only speak for romania) in my country for example we have an exam at the end of each semester but when you do your final exam in high school you have to pass an overall exam from the past 4 years. SO history -4 big books, chemistry 4 big books, romanian -4 huge books...etc etc..AND all exams are taken in about two weeks. so you almost have an exam everyday. Looking back I have no clue how i did it. When my hubby told me how you guys do it i was so happy. Just another example to get your driving licence-omg- you have to study this big book, and the exam is all tricky..like you are applying for a cop job or something...the test here is a joke actually when i did the example online i was laughing the entire time ..i could not believe that is that simple. In romania everything is so complicated, and hard, like they are setting you up to fail.

harpa you are right again, a lot of schools advertise this magic school that gives you a degree in a short time and you will find a job right away that will pay you sooo much money...i was reading how many schools have very atractive offers(meaning very good marketing)and people get into a lot of student loans and when they get out of schools only to find out it is a lot harder to find a job than they thougt it would be. So i think i will probably sacrifice few years and go to school, and not do the online school.

Thank you Bob for sharig the story with me, and thank you all so you much for the advice and wisdom you shared with me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Yes, Silvana, it is a good idea to get some American education.

I have a BA in Psychology, and after doing some reasearch, it looks like the only way for me to get a decent job in this field is going for a MA or PhD program.

I noticed a BA doesn't have so much value anymore when searching for a new job, but a graduate program would make a difference though.

I think JustBob was saying somewhere else that the BA nowdays has the value of highschol diploma and I agree with that.

My advise is - go to school, but wait until you get your GC, otherwise you will be considered an international student. As an international student, the school tuition and fees would be different/higher and you will be required to have a sponsor and pass a TOEFL test. Also, only LPRs and USC are eligible to apply for student loans.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Because English is not your first language, you may need to take TOEFL or any test to prove you are proficient in English. Also, check to see if the college of your choice offers modifications for students whose first language is not English, like extended time to turn in assignments or to take tests, the use of dictionary during exams, etc. Your English is perfect but you never know when these mods can help!

she won't need to do any of these if she becomes an LPR.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: Other Timeline

About the TOEFL:

When you apply for college as a resident, you have to pass entry exams / evaluation exams in English and Math. If your English is below the level required, you have to take some remedial classes, many of them ESL level, to bring it up to snuff. You won't get college credits for that, but at $57 per class that's a heck of a deal anyway.

In today's structure, I always suggest starting out at the community college levels. It's not as prestigious, but much cheaper and for the most part every bit as good. Very often, Freshmen are taught by T.A.s in a 4-year school The Professors won't bother to show up for that simple stuff. Once you transferred, you'll get the same degree, just a few thousand dollars cheaper.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

What is LPR? I will only apply for a school once i have my green card. I was only doing some research for schools and possible programs that i might be interested in. I want to at least know what i need so i can start preparing myself for it, like a math exam for example. I was kind of hoping there will be no math involved in my exams that i will have to take as i was never good at math, but i was looking for radiology tecs you have to pass a math exam :wacko:

i will call one of the comunity collages here to see if they offer the radiology tec program, and get some info like what would i need to do in order to get into the program.

thanks guys!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

LPR = Legal Permanent Resident - usually a holder of a green card.

---

Cruise Ship, you say? HEY ! go beat down the doors of the big hotel chains - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

LPR = Legal Permanent Resident - usually a holder of a green card.

---

Cruise Ship, you say? HEY ! go beat down the doors of the big hotel chains - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

thanks for the clarification there.

i worked mostly with art-assist art auctioneer....what does that mean in real world? to be exact:nothing.I also worked as hostess , and sommelier, but i feel i don't want to be 50 and be a waiter, or receptionist.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

a well trained sommelier can make or break a good resturant - keep that in mind if you'd like to pursue that career path in the short term- usually the sommelier has a piece of the business, and ties into the wholesale wine biz as well.

My wife has a degree in hoteliery/hospitality, and took early retirement from her family's insurance business about 2 years before I met her. For her, it was just to 'get a degree' as the 'degree' was entry into the rest of the world in Wuhan, and in the end,

she simply took over an Agency Office, and ran it for 10 years, before AIG bought them out ;) It is kinda strange - my grandparents had huge agency, her family had huge agency - it's really interesting how it all worked out.

So - many times in USA, it doesn't matter what yer degree is IN, as long as you have one - if it's any 'non-technical client facing business'. For long-term, IMO, anything medically related will have some legs/longevity to it, as well - my wife wants to do something with that here, but I taught her how to trade US stock 2 years ago - we don't have this 'what to do in USA' conversation much anymore ;) She now has her own monies in USA, and I just give her basic stock advice..

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

a well trained sommelier can make or break a good resturant - keep that in mind if you'd like to pursue that career path in the short term- usually the sommelier has a piece of the business, and ties into the wholesale wine biz as well.

My wife has a degree in hoteliery/hospitality, and took early retirement from her family's insurance business about 2 years before I met her. For her, it was just to 'get a degree' as the 'degree' was entry into the rest of the world in Wuhan, and in the end,

she simply took over an Agency Office, and ran it for 10 years, before AIG bought them out ;) It is kinda strange - my grandparents had huge agency, her family had huge agency - it's really interesting how it all worked out.

So - many times in USA, it doesn't matter what yer degree is IN, as long as you have one - if it's any 'non-technical client facing business'. For long-term, IMO, anything medically related will have some legs/longevity to it, as well - my wife wants to do something with that here, but I taught her how to trade US stock 2 years ago - we don't have this 'what to do in USA' conversation much anymore ;) She now has her own monies in USA, and I just give her basic stock advice..

you know...i appreciate anyone who can trade stocks and be in that bussines! Is that like brokers? i heard you can make sooo much money doing that!!but you also have to be very good! i wish i would have the brains to do that!

To be honest, the main reason(and i know it's the wrong reason) why i want to pursue a medical career is mostly for it's longevity and the fact that it's a more secure environment than other careers...

People say you should do what you enjoy...problem is i don't really think i enjoy anything in particular(except maybe winning the loto and beeing a house wife :lol: )SO since there is nothing that i would really enjoy doing..might as well get into something practical...like health care.

that is such a big coincidence that your grandparents and also her granparents owned an agency!! that's so cool!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.