JoyDee

Calling all Senators and Representatives

Contacted Member of Congress  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Have you contacted a member of Congress to act on your behalf?

• Yes, and I got no reply
    • Yes, and they called USCIS to no discernable effect
    • Yes, and they called USCIS and were effective

27 posts in this topic

There is NO doubt my senators staff -Dan Inouye- Hawaii, expedited approvals on 3 different occasions during a 4 year period.

At the same time my congressmans staff and office was USELESS!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Not totally true. See the speed of my approval and entire process? That was my congressman's work! :) They might not always help, but they are certainly capable of doing so.

Thats really great for you but totally unfair for all of us who sent our petitions way before you guys and still waiting for USCIS to approve our case :bonk:

xQPW.jpg

For with God nothing will be impossible

Luke 1:37

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Thats really great for you but totally unfair for all of us who sent our petitions way before you guys and still waiting for USCIS to approve our case :bonk:

Patty, have you tried calling your Congressperson?

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

Timeline

Patty, have you tried calling your Congressperson?

Not yet, we were trying to do things in the right way, calling your congressperson should be an last option when your case is over the 5 month mark... but if people do that way before that happens that means that our cases are pulled back...not fair :blush:

xQPW.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Yikes! It's amazing to me how some members think its their right to rant and rave at someone who is trying to expedite the process to be with their loved one and get them out of harms way. True, some cases can be more serious than others and all want faster results. But to pounce on somebody who is questioning how to contact his or her congressman is plain disrespectful and unwarranted.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in contacting a congressman regarding immigration providing the inclusion of true facts, conveyance of understanding of the process, and written tactfully. The goal is to sell your individual situation. I would not attack the process, the center involved, or make far-flung accusations as this could hurt more than help. If one has the time to write or call and can do it effectively why wouldn’t one do it! To suggest you wait for 5 months before you make contact is absolutely ridiculous, there is no Congressman written rule or policy in this regard. There is nothing wrong with seeking every avenue possible providing it is done honestly, truthfully, and tactfully within the limits of the law. This is about you and your loved one, not about someone on this board whom may have an axe to grind or is fearful of contacting their congressman until their 5 months is up.

7/19/2010 NOA1

12/13/2010 NOA2 Document Received

12/27/2010 Embassy e-mail Package 3.5 received

01/31/2011 Embassy Interview Date

01/31/2011 K1 Visa Approved 6 months, 1 week, & 4 days from NAO1

02/26/2011 In the US

05/26/2011 Married!

Timeline

Yikes! It's amazing to me how some members think its their right to rant and rave at someone who is trying to expedite the process to be with their loved one and get them out of harms way. True, some cases can be more serious than others and all want faster results. But to pounce on somebody who is questioning how to contact his or her congressman is plain disrespectful and unwarranted.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in contacting a congressman regarding immigration providing the inclusion of true facts, conveyance of understanding of the process, and written tactfully. The goal is to sell your individual situation. I would not attack the process, the center involved, or make far-flung accusations as this could hurt more than help. If one has the time to write or call and can do it effectively why wouldn't one do it! To suggest you wait for 5 months before you make contact is absolutely ridiculous, there is no Congressman written rule or policy in this regard. There is nothing wrong with seeking every avenue possible providing it is done honestly, truthfully, and tactfully within the limits of the law. This is about you and your loved one, not about someone on this board whom may have an axe to grind or is fearful of contacting their congressman until their 5 months is up.

Sorry you misinterpreted my post, I'm really glad for those getting their approvals in less time than the 5 months mark, but I'm not happy about how USCIS is working in no logical order, its very frustrating, thats all.

God bless you.

xQPW.jpg

I don't believe she was referring completely to you, Patty. I believe only the part about waiting for 5months was to you. The rest of her post seems to be for the conversation on page 1 of this thread.

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Samoa
Timeline

I agree...my husband has lived through the tsunami in Samoa during the process and it is two years and counting AND I STILL believe Haiti cases are worse off than my husband. As long as my spouse is healthy I will not be asking for any favors. But if there was a cholera epidemic I would persue the expedite.

P.S. I did contact my senator when my case wasn't touched for 10 months and the normal processing time was 3 months. He did contact USCIS and eventhough he call me back and told me the same thing USCIS was telling me.....Magically I received an action on my case in the mail within the next two weeks. My case was not expedited but maybe the simple call from the senator made them physically pick my case up and look at it. (This was the re-affirmation process which takes zero priority over other cases)

So yes, congressmen contacting immigration on behalf of you case was benificial from my standpoint, but should not be abused (i.e. for regular processing run-of-the-mill cases) Haiti is not a run-of-the-mill case in its current state.

If I could be anything, I would be a tear.

Born in your eye, Live on your cheek, and Die at your lips.

<3 --<--@

Marriage: 2008-10-15

Husband left w/o deportation:2008-10-22

I-130/I129f Sent: 2008-11-20

Interview Date: 2009-08-11

K3 DENIED Back to USCIS

Action to deny RFE: 2010-07-01

REAFFIRMED!!! :) : 2010-10-02

NVC Received 2nd time: 2010-10-14

Everything paid by: 2010-10-19

Sent DS230: 2010-11-23

NVC RFE received: 2010-12-17

Case Complete NVC:2011-01-03

Second Interview IR-1:2011-02-10

PUT IN AP!!!!!!

THIRD INTERVIEW: 2012-07-17

We were denied based on overstay, not misdemeanor conviction.

WE CAN FINALLY SUBMIT I-601 WAIVER!!

Submit I-601: 2012-09-29

Waiver Aproved:?

Visa Received:?

US Entry:?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Iran doesn't have a cholera epidemic going on so the situation is not the same. Trying to expidite the process given this is not abusing the system. Living in substandard conditions is one thing, but living in the midst of a rampant epidemic is another thing entirely. The situation in Haiti is far from less than ideal.

iran is going through a horrible case of pollution,the amount of damage caused to the citizen is comparable to iran and iraqs war,mind you that was eight years long.

however it doesnt get as much publicity cause its over shadowed by iran's nuclear plan and what not.

she got her case expedited,and its the only thing that can happen,IF the Haitians petitions were not all expedited or expedited upon the beneficiaries request,then yes,she would have to contact her congressman and it would actually make a change.however her case is completely standard,haitian beneficiary,american petitioner,expedited case,what else could change by contacting a congressman or senator.

she is entitled to her opinion,she can call em and contact em all she wants,but i think our job here is to be honest and realistic,giving false hope can take one only so far

Edited by thelastpetitioner

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I contacted our congress rep, but her aide said she couldn't help because I was, and stil am, within USCIS guidelines. I then contacted our senator and her aide felt that my situation needed some assistance. Reason? I already have a job with an American company (I am the Canadian applicant) and they had to give me a leave of absence till I got my EAD. Because I am the only person who can perform certain tasks for them, they need me back at work asap.

Now here's the thing to not lose sight of here: these people (senators, congress rep) have aides to take care of those things for them. I doubt very much the senator put all her other duties aside to call the USCIS for me. The person that helped me out was the immigration aide and she was very well versed with the AOS-EAD-AP process. Call me crazy, but I don't think that her taking care of my case for a few minutes put any of the constituents in any kind of hardship.

I feel for those of you who have loved ones going through hardship in their home countries and totally understand you wanting to do anything you can think of to help them get here sooner. I would not hesitate and call the people you elected to see if there's anything they can do to help.

Good luck to all of you.

K1 Timeline

I-129F Sent: 01-23-2010

Packet 3 Received: 06-15-2010

Packet 4 Received: 08-13-2010

Interview: 10-20-2010

POE: 10-29-2010

Wedding: 11-03-2010

AOS Timeline

Packet submitted (AOS, EAD, AP): 11-09-2010

Delivered : 11-10-2010

E-notifications received: 11-16-2010

AOS, EAD and AP touched: 11-19-2010

NOA1 received: 11-19-2010

AOS touched: 12-02-2010, transfered to CSC

AOS touched: 12-03-2010

Senator's aide gets involved: 12-08-2010

Received letter for biometrics: 12-14-2010

Biometrics: 12-15-2010 (walk-in)

EAD card production ordered: 12-15-2010

EAD and AP touched: 12-22-2010

Email to inform me that letters for EAD and AP approvals have been sent: 12-22-2010

EAD card received: 12-23-2010

AP letter received: 12-28-2010

Green card and welcome letter received: 03-23-2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Now after reading all the above comments i have this to say

Yes in February I asked for my congressman to help me with a

SSA disabiliuty claim. I applied for SS becasue I have

Degernerative Disk Disease in my C-spine. I asked my

congressman help me, he came helped me and I was awarded SSDI

the rest of my life. After I was awarded I came here to

Ukraine to marry my wife, returned back to Beverely Hills and

started my CR-1 Visa at once. Now to be able to get your case

expedited you have to qualify with certain requirement to get

it exepdited.

First have a hardship in my medical condition & situation,

so that qualfies me to apply to have my case expedited. 2nd I

also am in need to have my wife help my business, a financical

situation and it to qualfies me to expedite also.

Now I contacted my US Senator and submitted documents from SSA

my doctor and sent the release paper to my Senator with everything

and it how my case was expedited. Yes it takes time but in the

end i will get my CR-1 faster than usual most people do.

I just submitted for my case to be expedited and thats the process

I had to do to get mine done and expedited.

But remember this you have to have a valid case to be expedited

1 by the US Senator and 2nd 1 by the USCIS with verfied case

and circumstances. So many people are helped & many are not helped.

Dont be discouraged. If your case has expried the 180 days from your

NOA-1 than you have a valid reason and case. If not you may not

get a responce from your US government offical.

Good Luck

Happy Holidays

Edited by 1lovingyou2

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Since all visas from Haiti are already expedited, I doubt there's much a Congressman or Senator can do but there's no harm in trying, I suppose. Good luck!

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.