JimVaPhuong

Need help with gift ideas for recent VN immigrants

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok, here's the scoop:

My wife's uncle petitioned for his brother years ago. His priority date became current, he got his visa, and he arrived with his wife and two teenage boys a couple of weeks ago. By the way, this is the same uncle who introduced me and my wife.

Last year, we returned from Vietnam two days before Christmas. Obviously, I didn't have much time to do any Christmas shopping, so Phuong's uncle arranged a little get together at his house on Christmas night. He had gifts for everyone.

Well, her uncle has had a rough year. Add to that the expense of getting his brother and family to the US, plus adding four more mouths to feed to his household, and he's completely tapped out. So, as a gesture of reciprocal good will, we're going to invite the families of both uncles to our house on Christmas, and we're going to get gifts for everyone.

And that's the dilemma...

They literally arrived just weeks ago with whatever they could pack. I don't know what exactly they brought with them, but I suspect it wasn't much more than some clothes and personal items. I want to get them something that will be useful, but I am also limited in the amount of cash I can spend. I already spent a huge chunk of my Christmas budget getting two new Kim Tu Dien GD7000's for my step-kids. :blush:

Also, they are all Buddhists. Christmas is more of a fun thing for them - no spiritual connection.

My unfilled gift list consists of:

The US citizen uncle (mid 40's)

The US citizen uncle's wife (early 40's)

The US citizen uncle's daughter (3rd grade, I think)

The US citizen uncle's son (1st grade, I think)

The new immigrant uncle (mid 40's, I suspect)

The new immigrant uncle's wife (also mid 40's)

The new immigrant uncle's two sons (early teens)

I also got my mother and daughter, but I can figure them out myself.

Any ideas?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Ok, here's the scoop:

My wife's uncle petitioned for his brother years ago. His priority date became current, he got his visa, and he arrived with his wife and two teenage boys a couple of weeks ago. By the way, this is the same uncle who introduced me and my wife.

Last year, we returned from Vietnam two days before Christmas. Obviously, I didn't have much time to do any Christmas shopping, so Phuong's uncle arranged a little get together at his house on Christmas night. He had gifts for everyone.

Well, her uncle has had a rough year. Add to that the expense of getting his brother and family to the US, plus adding four more mouths to feed to his household, and he's completely tapped out. So, as a gesture of reciprocal good will, we're going to invite the families of both uncles to our house on Christmas, and we're going to get gifts for everyone.

And that's the dilemma...

They literally arrived just weeks ago with whatever they could pack. I don't know what exactly they brought with them, but I suspect it wasn't much more than some clothes and personal items. I want to get them something that will be useful, but I am also limited in the amount of cash I can spend. I already spent a huge chunk of my Christmas budget getting two new Kim Tu Dien GD7000's for my step-kids. :blush:

Also, they are all Buddhists. Christmas is more of a fun thing for them - no spiritual connection.

My unfilled gift list consists of:

The US citizen uncle (mid 40's)

The US citizen uncle's wife (early 40's)

The US citizen uncle's daughter (3rd grade, I think)

The US citizen uncle's son (1st grade, I think)

The new immigrant uncle (mid 40's, I suspect)

The new immigrant uncle's wife (also mid 40's)

The new immigrant uncle's two sons (early teens)

I also got my mother and daughter, but I can figure them out myself.

Any ideas?

Buy them each a statue of Buddha. I understand they can rub his belly for good luck.

What about warm winter clothing for the new immigrants?

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

Timeline

We're in the SF Bay area, and the new immigrants are from Hue. The winter weather here is not dramatically different from the winter weather in Hue - maybe about 10 degrees F. colder, on average. But my wife also suggested buying them some warm clothes.

I think their bills are being taken care of by Uncle Van, the US citizen. He converted his garage to an apartment years ago for his uncle and aunt to live in. It became vacant when they moved to Sacramento, so his brother and family are now living there, though they pretty much only sleep there. Everyone hangs out in the main house during the day.

However, I do know that the immigrant uncle is basically broke right now, and I'm sure there's some stuff he'd like to buy for himself and his family, so we're going to give him some cash. I don't really like putting cash or gift cards under the tree because it's just not the same when everyone else is handed a box wrapped in pretty paper and you get an envelope. :blush:

We're thinking of giving the two teenage sons some Oakland Raiders jackets. It's warm clothing, and it will also help them feel like Americans. At least it's better than some of the clothing they sell in Vietnam with the incomprehensible "Vinglish" phrases. :whistle:

We're still vacillating on what to give the immigrant aunt and the US citizen uncle and his family.

Thanks for the suggestions! :thumbs:

Timeline

We're in the SF Bay area, and the new immigrants are from Hue. The winter weather here is not dramatically different from the winter weather in Hue - maybe about 10 degrees F. colder, on average. But my wife also suggested buying them some warm clothes.

I think their bills are being taken care of by Uncle Van, the US citizen. He converted his garage to an apartment years ago for his uncle and aunt to live in. It became vacant when they moved to Sacramento, so his brother and family are now living there, though they pretty much only sleep there. Everyone hangs out in the main house during the day.

However, I do know that the immigrant uncle is basically broke right now, and I'm sure there's some stuff he'd like to buy for himself and his family, so we're going to give him some cash. I don't really like putting cash or gift cards under the tree because it's just not the same when everyone else is handed a box wrapped in pretty paper and you get an envelope. :blush:

We're thinking of giving the two teenage sons some Oakland Raiders jackets. It's warm clothing, and it will also help them feel like Americans. At least it's better than some of the clothing they sell in Vietnam with the incomprehensible "Vinglish" phrases. :whistle:

We're still vacillating on what to give the immigrant aunt and the US citizen uncle and his family.

Thanks for the suggestions! :thumbs:

Jim. From what I know about VN custom is that giving cash is the usual and not bad. I was joking about the Buddha statues by the way as I assume you knew. I gave shirts and stuff to my in laws here. You have given so much already though that you need a break yourself so need to try to help without hurting yourself. Gift cards are a great idea as that way they can go buy what they want and need. Give some cash also is a great idea but place it in an envelope. Only they really know what they truly need and want.

Although not really a gift, you might print out for the the Welcome to the United States of America guide. It is 82 pages so have plenty of paper and ink in your printer. This is a very helpful guide telling them about all kinds of things in America like how to use 911 and stuff like that.

This is the one in Vietnamese: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618_v.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Women usually like the the pretty stuff like lip-glosses and body-washes, etc.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok, get a big box, and then a bunch of boxes that fit inside one another, then for the small box, have the envelope with the cash in it, the bigger the better, this way they can all laugh as they open box after box after box, and if you really want to add to it, throw a bunch of tape on each box, if nothing else you and the wife will enjoy watching them open the boxes.:bonk: :bonk: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

How about a local travel guide and tickets to public transportation so they can get out and explore (I don't know if they have a car yet). Maybe tickets to local museums, etc to have something fun to do but that is cultural as well.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

Women usually like the the pretty stuff like lip-glosses and body-washes, etc.

I sent perfumes to my Mother and sister in laws in VN. I didn't know I had but my wife told me I sent it to them. It was nice that I did so.whistling.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think cash is a good idea. with different size bills. My wife had never seen any of the smaller size american currency we use. I'm reminded of my first trip to vietnam. I took around $700 in cash mostly 50 & 100's , but i had a couple 100 in 20's. When I went to the local jewelery shop to exchange my usd for vnd they had no problem with the 50 and 100 dollar bills, and gave me a much better exchange rate then the bank would have. When I gave them 5 20's they didn;t really want to exchange them at all. they did but at a much lower rate.

Giving them cash gives practical experience in dealing with our money. You may want to consider planning a trip to the local mall with the whole family.

Hope you and your family have a merry Christmas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

For the ladies Bath and Body Works/Body SHop items are nice and not too rough on the wallet. I think you have the right idea for the teen boys or maybe a gaming system that they might be able to enjoy together. The smaller children maybe board games...that could be fun!

Good luck!

Edited by Brownie07

July 2007 We met in Jamaica, WI (Monetgo Bay) through mutual friends
Oct. 2010 Formally Engaged!!!!
Nov 1, 2010 Mailed I-129F to Lewisville, TX (via Fed Ex)
Nov 2, 2010 Fed Ex received by J. Cates
Nov 5, 2010 NOA1 (via email notification) off to Vermont we go!!!!!!
Nov 8, 2010 Touch and Check was cashed!!
Nov 10 2010 Touch and Hard Copy of NOA1 received
Nov 12 2010 Touch
Nov 15 2010 Touch

ROC

Sept 30. 2013 Mailing i-751

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'd say go for an experience! Since it's two (or I guess 3 with your own) families, and you being locals here, why not gather everyone for a day in sf? doesn't have to be that big or expensive, show your local favorites, maybe start with a walk and go on one of the trolleys (I loved it even though i thought it was super touristic and tend to avoid these things also being 27, not 7, didn't expect leaning from a trolley could be that much fun! ;) maybe let the ladies get a mani and pedicure (don't know your budget, but prob. around 30 a person including tips) or take everyone down to the mission and explore the thrift stores (thrift town, community thrift and salvation army are awesome and you can get so much clothes, toys, furnitures etc, and thrift town has gift cards too.. if it's not weird for you or them to get things second hand that is)

A walk in sunset along the water, through chinatown, the spanish mission, I mean this is some of the greatest things about sf - all the communities within the city! I don't know.. but in my experience getting gifts that makes me feel and sharing with others are the best :) happy holidays!

JANUARY 18th AOS FILED

JANUARY 29th NOA1

FEBRUARY 18th I-485 TOUCHED

FEBRUARY 24th BIOMETRICS

MARCH 2nd SCHEDULED FOR INTERVIEW 6TH OF APRIL

MARCH 10th EAD APPROVED

MARCH 10th I-131 APPROVED

MARCH 16th EAD TOUCHED

MARCH 18th EAD RECEIVED IN MAIL

APRIL 6th INTERVIEW

APRIL 15th GREEN CARD APPROVED

jFddm8.png

dYoam8.png

Timeline

Thanks tremendously for the great ideas! :thumbs:

luckytxn, no worries about the Buddha statues! I knew you were joking, though I would have been a little puzzled if you would have suggested Jesus statues. :blink:

emmet83, we're planning a toursty site seeing day in SF in the week after Christmas, since I get the week off, but that won't really be a Christmas gift. With seven kids involved of various ages we want to have some stuff under the tree in fancy gift packages to unwrap.

Everyone else, we've combined aspects of most of your suggestions. Here's how it's panned out:

The US citizen uncle: A gift card for Shell gas. He commutes to work, and sometimes has to scrape for gas money. Shell is the closest station to his house, and usually where he buys his gas.

The US citizen uncle's wife: A warm blanket, and an assortment of lotions and creams from Bath & Body Works.

The US citizen uncle's daughter: A art kit with lots of pencils, crayons, water colors, in a nice carrying case, and a large set of glittery stickers.

The US citizen uncle's son: A 450 piece Lego starter set.

The new immigrant uncle: Cash and a leather jacket (re-gifted - don't tell him!).

The new immigrant uncle's wife: Bath & Body Works assortment.

The new immigrant uncle's two sons: Two very warm jackets with "San Francisco" in the Giants script embroidered across the front (on sale!).

We've invited them all over for Christmas dinner, and they've accepted. We're planning a combination of Viet delicacies, as well as American traditional classics, including my semi-famous glazed "thit heo". :)

Merry Christmas all, and thanks again for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.