newlyweds2010

where do I keep the green card

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

In the highly unlikely case that you are traveling to a destination where there is a CBP checkpoint, and they ask you for your immigration status and you answer "I am a Green Card holder" and you don't have it on you, just mentioning your A # or presenting a photocopy of it allows the Officer to check your status on the computer within a minute or two.

Nobody gets detained for that. Most likely you'll hear a speech reminding you that you always have to carry it with you, and that's it. The worst that could happen is that you'll get a $100 fine, although I've never encountered a case where that actually has happened.

Still you could get 3 such tickets and are still a mile ahead of somebody who has to replace his misplaced, lost, or stolen Green Card.

For me that's a no-brainer.

All the cases we read here and everywhere is about people who didn't keep their cards in a safe place and were devastated when they had to replace it. Worse . . . imagine you lose your wallet with the Green Card, Driver License, ATM card, and all credit cards in it.

You need a new ATM card. The bank needs to see an ID. Well you don't have your GC nor your DL, so off to the DMV you go. They can't issue a new DL without proof of legal presence though. Hence, you need a new GC. Getting one takes up to 6 month though. Now what?

Therefore, putting the GC in the wallet is really no such a great idea.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
imagine you lose your wallet
And how often does this happen to people, in reality? It would be far worse to have a note in one's immigration records (put there by CBP or ICE) of "broke law -- wasn't carrying green card."

In the next few days, I plan to call CBP at a POE, speak with an actual front-line agent, and ask exactly what the ramifications are of not carrying one's green card. I suspect that they won't put forth very much understanding in their answer.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

And how often does this happen to people, in reality? It would be far worse to have a note in one's immigration records (put there by CBP or ICE) of "broke law -- wasn't carrying green card."

In the next few days, I plan to call CBP at a POE, speak with an actual front-line agent, and ask exactly what the ramifications are of not carrying one's green card. I suspect that they won't put forth very much understanding in their answer.

Ok, that's true, it has never happened to me to lose my wallet or to have it stolen. but sh!t happens, occasionally. Please, let us know what the CBP told you over the phone.

It is a misdemeanor offense.

INA § 264(e)

Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry

with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien

registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to

subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this

subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for

each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than

thirty days, or both.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline
It is a misdemeanor offense.

INA § 264(e)

Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Nich to the rescue with meaningful and definitive information, again. "Follow the law" means exactly that, or the "sh!t that happens" could be of a whole other sort, including an established criminal record.

Edited to add: It appears that anyone who advocates anything less than exact compliance with the above law is violating VJ's Terms of Service.

Edited by TBoneTX

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Would such a misdemeanor count against you during nationalisation?

Because I would rather pay a $100 fine than have to replace my GC at 3 or 4 times that cost.

I've had my purse lifted once. Never had my car stolen but then I've never lived in Arizona either.

I think it's ridiculous that they should make it so expensive to replace, if you're a victim of crime. I lose it, that's my bad. I get mugged or pickpocketed, I'm a victim of crime and shouldn't be liable for the full cost, or at least should be able to apply for compensation from either my household insurance or a victim's fund.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

For the sake of the original question--my husband keeps his greencard in his wallet because that's what the thing it came with said to do.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

My wife never takes it out of the house. She has her state ID with her which is all the ID she needs. Technically, you're supposed to carry it everywhere, but we'll take our chances. I'm not paying $400 to get a new one. My parents emigrated here and never took their greencards out of the house in the 15 years between when they came to the US and when they filed for citizenship.

Correct.

For all practical purposes, the Green Card is needed when returning from a foreign country. For that reason I've been living in the US for now close to 19 years and have never been asked for my Green Card or resident status in any way, shape, or form, not even when traveling within a few miles of the Mexican border.

It's a personal decision, and I totally respect people who have it on them "at all times," even if that implies inserting it into one of the body's cavities during sex. For the same reason, I have zero compassion for people who are whining that they have to chill out hundreds of dollars for a replacement card and have to wait up to 6 months for their new card to arrive.

Suum quique.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I never carried , it , too valuable to loose , your DL is the form of identification and most states required to prove legal residency to obtain a driver license , ( with few states exceptios) ,find out if your state require this confirmation before issuing a DL , I never carried my GC and my passporte , just when traveling internationally , all domestic flights can be taken with a DL

Not sure about South West US , ( AZ, CA ) I lived Midwest , WI , and IL and in GA , never an issue ( Got a ticket in WI . DL was plenty of documentation required)

my 2 cents

and I am Mexican by the way ,

2010Oct04 Filed AOS EAD AP

2010Oct19 NOA1( I485, I130, AP and EAD)

2010Nov09 Biometrics Appoitment Scheduled

2010 Nov 19 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled 9:45 AM

2010 dec 28 AP Approved

2011 Jan 03 EAD Approved

Learn the art of patience. Apply discipline to your thoughts when they become anxious over the outcome of a goal. Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness, and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

let me ask a different question: what happens if CBP stops an LPR and he has no green card on himself?

so far I've read that people leave their card at home all the time and nothing has happened in x years: but as long as one is not caught, of course everything is fine and nothing happens. this is valid for an LPR who left his documents at home as well as for a murderer.

the interesting part is when you get caught.

Immigration is a Federal matter, meaning State police is not authorized to inquire about immigration status and even less to ask for a Green Card. That would have been different in Arizona had SB-1070 passed without the Feds' intervention, but since they objected, this is still true for all 50 States of the Union.

I knew a feisty girl who once was asked by a cop if she has a Green Card and she responded: "None of your f*cking business." Cop put his tail between his legs because he knew he had NO RIGHT to even ask.

So what are situations within the US where you can be legally required to show your Green Card?

1) You are applying for a job and have to show proof that you are authorized to work in the US.

2) You have been arrested by police and they suspect you are an illegal alien. In that case they can call ICE and those guys have the right to check you out.

3) You are passing a CBP checkpoint near some US-Mexico or US-Canada border where CBP officers stop you and inquire.

Hence, these are the situations where it makes sense to "carry": applying for a new job; committing a crime, traveling close to the US border.

Timeline
all domestic flights can be taken with a DL
Some U.S. airports have CBP/ICE agents hanging out by the TSA checkpoint.

State police is not authorized to inquire about immigration status
Some State police agencies are part of the 287g or "Secure Communities" programs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.