newlyweds2010

where do I keep the green card

36 posts in this topic

For the sake of the original question--my husband keeps his greencard in his wallet because that's what the thing it came with said to do.

So does my husband.

Except when he's home in Europe! :lol:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Immigration is a Federal matter, meaning State police is not authorized to inquire about immigration status and even less to ask for a Green Card. That would have been different in Arizona had SB-1070 passed without the Feds' intervention, but since they objected, this is still true for all 50 States of the Union.

I knew a feisty girl who once was asked by a cop if she has a Green Card and she responded: "None of your f*cking business." Cop put his tail between his legs because he knew he had NO RIGHT to even ask.

So what are situations within the US where you can be legally required to show your Green Card?

1) You are applying for a job and have to show proof that you are authorized to work in the US.

2) You have been arrested by police and they suspect you are an illegal alien. In that case they can call ICE and those guys have the right to check you out.

3) You are passing a CBP checkpoint near some US-Mexico or US-Canada border where CBP officers stop you and inquire.

Hence, these are the situations where it makes sense to "carry": applying for a new job; committing a crime, traveling close to the US border.

Here's another place we part ways.

My husband NEVER takes his green card to job interviews. It's against the law for an employer to MAKE you show it to them.

If a person has an unrestricted SS card and a state driver's license, that's enough documentation per the I9 to satisfy identify and work authorization.

My husband and I do not want employers to view his card. Because the card has an expiry date on it, it gives the illusion of legal presence only through the date on that card.

Filed: Other Timeline

My husband NEVER takes his green card to job interviews. It's against the law for an employer to MAKE you show it to them.

If a person has an unrestricted SS card and a state driver's license, that's enough documentation per the I9 to satisfy identify and work authorization.

My husband and I do not want employers to view his card. Because the card has an expiry date on it, it gives the illusion of legal presence only through the date on that card.

Excellent point!

That leaves only 2 scenarios where it makes sense for a reasonable person to "carry," and if we can agree that a reasonable person doesn't go out intending to commit a crime, we're left with the close proximity to the US border.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Excellent point!

That leaves only 2 scenarios where it makes sense for a reasonable person to "carry," and if we can agree that a reasonable person doesn't go out intending to commit a crime, we're left with the close proximity to the US border.

We live nowhere near a US border and he still carries his card. All the time. He's not a US citizen. It's the law that he carry his card. It's that simple for us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Georgia is now part of the Safe Communities program - that means different County police officers can ask you to prove your immigration status if you are stopped by them for any reason - and if you can't prove your immigration status and they suspect you are an immigrant, you will be detained.

I always carried my green card with me as well. I have identification in my wallet and I have separate identification at home as well as a photocopy of all of my wallet contents - in case my purse or my wallet goes missing. As a citizen I obtained a Passport Card that I can carry with me to prove my citizenship if challenged. I never have been, and as a blue eyed blonde middle aged white woman with a Canadian accent, I probably never will be (yeah, profiling exists) - but that didn't exempt me from following the law of carrying the proof of my legal immigration status with me while I was still a Permanent Resident. As a citizen, I am no longer required to prove my legal status in the US - but I still can.

I also agree that the requirement of having to carry the exact card rather than a good facsimile is somewhat ridiculous since US citizens are not required to carry any identification to prove they are citizens. Carrying a good copy and if stopped, then being required to produce the original within a specified period of time (eg 2 days at your local police station) with a ticket issued that would be cancelled when the documentation was produced would be more reasonable in many ways.

I like the suggestion that replacement costs for a stolen green card should be minimal. Applications submitted with police reports proving theft should be replaced at a much more reasonable cost - like the passport card would only cost $40 or $45 to replace. Applications submitted without police reports would pay the full price.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We don't carry our around. She does take her DL with her because that is all the ID anyone would want to see; its all I carry.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.