one...two...tree

Sorry, Hamas, I'm Wearing Blue Jeans

121 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Maybe so, yet your idea of a "wide variety of sources" doesn't seem to curb your tendency to negatively stereotype Muslims every chance you get.

You know, Sofiyya, between your posts and the inflammatory (Quran or Bible?) quote you have at the bottom of your panels, it surprises me that the responses you get are as gentle as they are. Just sayin'... I think we could all try to find the common ground and learn more tolerance regardless of our backgrounds.

Edited by james&olya

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

You know, Sofiyya, between your posts and the inflammatory (Quran or Bible?) quote you have at the bottom of your panels, it surprises me that the responses you get are as gentle as they are. Just sayin'... I think we could all try to find the common ground and learn more tolerance regardless of our backgrounds.

Frankly, you should look up the meaning of the word "tolerance". It aint pretty. Barebones toleration is plentiful here; respect isn't. Ya know, I long got over the idea that there would be much empathy for my "minority" perspective as the only Muslim who regularly posts here, considering the bait material that constantly appears and the fact that some of the non-Muslims who respond have made it abundantly clear that they no interest in learning because they already know more about Muslims and Islam from reading blogs and articlesthan any Muslim does, and it's all bad. Since you're attacking me, I dont expect you to be any different.

As for my siggy, it refers to a recurring theme here. It's interesting that you don't know where it's from.

Timeline

Frankly, you should look up the meaning of the word "tolerance". It aint pretty. Barebones toleration is plentiful here; respect isn't. Ya know, I long got over the idea that there would be much empathy for my "minority" perspective as the only Muslim who regularly posts here, considering the bait material that constantly appears and the fact that some of the non-Muslims who respond have made it abundantly clear that they no interest in learning because they already know more about Muslims and Islam from reading blogs and articlesthan any Muslim does, and it's all bad. Since you're attacking me, I dont expect you to be any different.

As for my siggy, it refers to a recurring theme here. It's interesting that you don't know where it's from.

I agree with much of what you say and I don't mean to be attacking you. Sorry if it comes off that way. But do you really not think that your siggy isn't bait also? I suspect it is an old-testament quote from the bible though I admit when first reading it I assumed it was the Quran. Both had a lot of intolerance in them and I subscribe to neither. I do acknowledge that both also had significant beauty and wisdom as well. How do we go from the imperfect status of things as they are to reach a higher level of tolerance and respect? Maybe you should start a thread with your siggy but I suspect it would create more heat than light! It could be very interesting though!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Muslim women wearing jeans is not uncommon nor particularly newsworthy, even in Gaza. I have family in that area.

Have you been there since January 2006, when Hamas won a majority in the Palestinian Parliament?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I long ago switched off siggies, what's so controversial about this one? I could log out...

If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend, which is as your own soul–entice you secretly, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods," which you have not known–not you, nor your fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, near to you, or far off from you, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; You shall not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall your eye pity him, neither shall you spare, neither shall you conceal him: But you must surely kill him; your hand must be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And you must stone him with stones, that he die; because he has sought to thrust you away from the LORD your God. 13:6-10

If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend, which is as your own soul–entice you secretly, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods," which you have not known–not you, nor your fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, near to you, or far off from you, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; You shall not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall your eye pity him, neither shall you spare, neither shall you conceal him: But you must surely kill him; your hand must be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And you must stone him with stones, that he die; because he has sought to thrust you away from the LORD your God. 13:6-10

Thanks Jenn. Deliberately challenging and provocative. Good.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Thanks Jenn. Deliberately challenging and provocative. Good.

Ah yes provocation is approved one direction, yet not acceptable the other. Of course the verse isn't really too timely in that modern governments are seeking out Radical Christians who point to the verse as justification for terrorist acts. Deuteronomy is a bit dated you know?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

Ah yes provocation is approved one direction, yet not acceptable the other. Of course the verse isn't really too timely in that modern governments are seeking out Radical Christians who point to the verse as justification for terrorist acts. Deuteronomy is a bit dated you know?

I think Sofiyya makes a good point in showing christians that their 'holy' text contains the same violent and intolerant screeds that the christians find abhorrent in the quran. I confess I did not immediately recognize the source of her siggy in spite of my many years of church school. Seems we christians downplay this sort of thing when it is from our own bible. One of the reasons I have moved on from religion personally.

I think Sofiyya makes a good point in showing christians that their 'holy' text contains the same violent and intolerant screeds that the christians find abhorrent in the quran. I confess I did not immediately recognize the source of her siggy in spite of my many years of church school. Seems we christians downplay this sort of thing when it is from our own bible. One of the reasons I have moved on from religion personally.

Actually it's more of a deflection than salient point. You'll find pointing to the crusades to justify Radical Islamists having reason to commit terrorist activity if you go too far down this line of reasoning.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The quote is from the bible, It's hardly fair to blame Sofi for that.

He's not looking for gentle responses.

He's feeling persecuted.

Timeline

Actually it's more of a deflection than salient point. You'll find pointing to the crusades to justify Radical Islamists having reason to commit terrorist activity if you go too far down this line of reasoning.

Nothing justifies terrorism! But it is helpful to understand our own history with this as we seek to find ways to defuse the underlying tensions and see progress toward a peaceful and constructive coexistence.

The quote is from the bible, It's hardly fair to blame Sofi for that.

He's not looking for gentle responses.

He's feeling persecuted.

Sofi is a she not a he.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Not one person has used the crusades to justify terrorism, that's complete poppycock. What has been said, and remains true, is that christians have used christian scripture to justify abhorrent acts in the past. That doesn't make the actions christian any more than it makes the actions of al quaida and the like muslim.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .