pepper

DREAM Act Passed House; Delayed in Senate

15 posts in this topic

DREAM Act Delayed in Senate

WASHINGTON -- In a move that could effectively run out the clock on the DREAM Act, the Senate voted on Thursday to table its version of the bill. Although Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NEV.) plans to take up a version passed Wednesday through the House of Representatives, the brief Senate calendar makes it uncertain whether the bill will be passed before the end of the session.

The bill, which would create a pathway to citizenship for some illegal immigrants who entered the United States as children, narrowly passed through the House. In the Senate, it faces a tougher battle given opposition by nearly all 42 Republicans and several undecided Democrats.

Without votes to pass the Senate's version of the DREAM Act, Reid attempted twice to set aside the bill but was blocked by Republicans before the bill was ultimately set aside in a 59-40 vote. Passing the House version would be the last chance to pass immigration reform legislation before a harsh anti-immigration GOP takes over the House next year.

A leadership aide said reports that the DREAM Act is now dead are inaccurate and that the added time before a vote on the House version will allow advocates to push for more support for the bill.

If the House-passed version is approved by the Senate, it could be signed into law without being sent back and forth between the chambers.

Advocates of the DREAM Act, including Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.), praised the Senate's decision.

"We now have the weekend and into next week to launch a national mobilization to get the votes to enact this important bill that could literally change the course of hundreds of thousands of young lives and make our country and our military stronger," Gutierrez said in a statement.

But debate before the decision showed the tough road ahead for the DREAM Act if it comes up for a vote. Republican senators repeatedly called the bill "amnesty" and claimed it would lead to fraud by large numbers of illegal immigrants to gain legal status.

"These illegals who would be granted amnesty would be put in direct competition with American people for scarce resources," Vitter said.

The bill was revised last week to make it more difficult for beneficiaries to eventually become citizens. A six-year conditional status before beneficiaries could become legal permanent residents was extended to ten years. After becoming legal permanent residents, beneficiaries would have to wait three years before applying for citizenship. Only then could they petition for family members to have legal status.

Several Republicans said the DREAM Act was too costly to proceed, citing a recent report by the Congressional Budget Office that the bill could increase deficits after beneficiaries become eligible for Medicaid, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and the federal heath insurance exchanges.

Many undocumented immigrants pay taxes -- particularly payroll taxes -- but are not eligible for benefits from the government.

The White House and DREAM Act advocates argue the CBO report underestimated the economic contributions DREAM Act beneficiaries will make after becoming legal residents.

Despite opposition, Democrats pushed back against the idea the bill would be a free ride for illegal immigrants.

"Anything that is immigration-related, they'll use the word amnesty," Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) said during debate. Amnesty is when you get something for nothing. I believe that wearing a uniform and risking your life and maybe losing it before you reach your dream -- that is not amnesty."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

The American people should not be PAYING TAX dollars to help these lawbreakers,become legal. They should earn the right, and apply like the rest. I say deport all of them, and force everyone of them to apply like the rest of the world.

Edited by earp

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

Filed: Other Timeline

They have no basis to apply for permanent residency, unless they are married to a US citizen, are millionaire investors, or top-level professionals with international recognition.

More to the point, a 19-year old Mexican national who was brought to the US at age 2 and doesn't speak Spanish, doesn't have family in Mexico, but spent pretty much her entire life in the US, would have no means of survival there.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

The Senate just conceded that they dont have the votes to pass the Dream Act.The Dems voted to pull the measure from consideration yay!

Edited by earp

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Topic moved FROM 0ff Topic TO Politics and Religion.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/145-politics-and-religion/

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

They have no basis to apply for permanent residency, unless they are married to a US citizen, are millionaire investors, or top-level professionals with international recognition.

:thumbs:

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You DO realize the DREAM Act died at 8:22pm on Tuesday, November 2...don't you?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

DNR - Do not Resuscitate. They apply for residency and citizenship. Legally.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 visa.

CIS Office: Charleston WV

Date Filed: 2010-06-08

NOA Date: 2010-06-14

RFE(s): 2010-07-26

Bio. Appt: 2010-07-01

AOS Transfer 2010-08-26 CSC

AP and EAD approved 01 September 2010

Service Request issued: March 17, 2011

Green Card Approval: March 29, 2011

Green Card in Hand: April 4, 2011

Permanent Resident since March 23, 2011

Full time State employee (VA)

ROC Window opens: December 23, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You know I could almost go along with some such Dream act if it was limited to those in military service during times of war or conflict.

Whats this exception for college #######?

Thats not service to the country... that a self serving act. (not that there is anything wrong with it)

What, are we supposed to be happy that after 12 years of a free Public education you actually learned enough to go to community college?

That don't impress me much.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Exactly. They shouldn't be here.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

More to the point, a 19-year old Mexican national who was brought to the US at age 2 and doesn't speak Spanish, doesn't have family in Mexico, but spent pretty much her entire life in the US, would have no means of survival there.

not true. he/she would have be supported better than most mexicans, family in the USA can support he/she just as they do today for many many others. while family sends support, he/she will learn to swim.

send them home.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline

You know I could almost go along with some such Dream act if it was limited to those in military service during times of war or conflict.

Whats this exception for college #######?

Thats not service to the country... that a self serving act. (not that there is anything wrong with it)

What, are we supposed to be happy that after 12 years of a free Public education you actually learned enough to go to community college?

That don't impress me much.

Why have someone that is not an American become a citizen because they joined the military? If they go back and immigrate here legally then let them join the military but of course since they don't have to do it then they could care less to join and help defend this country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Bye bye illegals. Tough to have parents as criminals. Sometimes it leaves a stigma.blink.gif

nah, they'll just wind up on obama's cabinet. :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

nah, they'll just wind up on obama's cabinet. :lol:

:thumbs:

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived