coraliesolms

Dreaded MIL visit..

80 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

God I wish I had advice for you. We haven't spoken to Tony's mother since 31st May. She is a horrid woman. Her latest thing was to call SIL to brag about how she won an argument with an employee over who's child was dating the worst person. I naturally assumed she was talking about me given the horrid treatment of us.. no it was worse. She actually called SIL to brag about how she won an argument about SIL's boyfriend being the worst.

We're pretty sure she's a narcissist.. and FIL agrees with us.

Filed: Timeline

Wow, Cora. I really feel for you. I couldn't imagine one month with a person like that in my home. You can bet there'd be fireworks. I can tolerate my MIL, but the more exposure I have to her, the more grating she becomes. It's a really difficult battle to be nice. My MIL is not like yours..... she has other challenges. I've already told my husband and his sister that there is absolutely no way on God's green earth that she is coming to live with us when her husband passes. They understood. lol

My MIL has changed quite a bit since I moved here. People here will remember what happened last Christmas with her and my mom... disaster!

Has she changed for the better? How about your SIL? What are your Christmas plans for this year? lol

iagree.gif

Well, Im glad to know I am not alone. I thought maybe it was something I was doing that made her impossible. My hubby is so lucky, his inlaws (my parents) live a gajillion miles away, so he never has to deal with them!

Thank you for all the stories and good advice, I dont feel so singled out any more.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

All I can say is that if someone...anyone...MIL or otherwise told me to 'shut-up' I would take a strip off them. Don't ever be afraid to put someone in their place who is rude. The issue is usually that no one ever has.

Mind you - I'm always up for a good fight if needed :D I actually don;t like to fight or have conflict, but sometimes people are stupid.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

OOOHHH.. wanna come to my house this christmas.. :)

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

All I can say is that if someone...anyone...MIL or otherwise told me to 'shut-up' I would take a strip off them. Don't ever be afraid to put someone in their place who is rude. The issue is usually that no one ever has.

Mind you - I'm always up for a good fight if needed :D I actually don;t like to fight or have conflict, but sometimes people are stupid.

:bonk::thumbs: Cat fight ....Oh ya, I want this video taped :) ha ha

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

OOOHHH.. wanna come to my house this christmas.. :)

Wonder B*tch to the rescue! Protecting daughters-in-law everywhere from the ravages of witchy mothers-in-law.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Lol.. I just got off the phone with her.. shes already driving me nuts! "I want you to book a doctors appointment for me first thing in the morning, and appointment for my Jag to be winterized, make sure my nail and hair appointments are to my liking, oh, and please dont put those god-aweful sheets on my bed again, the colour made me dizzy last time... bla bla bla bla".

The freakin woman has a phone, I dont know why I have to do all her phoning around for her!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Because you allow her to do it! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Lol.. I just got off the phone with her.. shes already driving me nuts! "I want you to book a doctors appointment for me first thing in the morning, and appointment for my Jag to be winterized, make sure my nail and hair appointments are to my liking, oh, and please dont put those god-aweful sheets on my bed again, the colour made me dizzy last time... bla bla bla bla".

The freakin woman has a phone, I dont know why I have to do all her phoning around for her!

I say find the most god awful shirts and put them on the bed, if she doesnt like them she can go buy her own . I am so sorry for you :)

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Yeah...that would be the point where I tell her a) I'm not her secretary and b) if she doesnt like the sheets we provide she is welcome to bring her own or stay in a hotel. Want me to talk to her? lol.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This website has saved my sanity: http://www.motherinlawstories.com/ I don't know if someone posted it in this thread but I did get it from VJ so if I've reposted I apologise.

My in-laws are bad but I really truly feel for some of these people. My saving grace is Tony is on my side. He said he's pretty sure I can handle most of the bull myself but if he felt I couldn't that he would step in. No-one has ever confronted ME head-on. Could be they realise I've got a whole bunch of bottled-up crazy inside.. but really they ALWAYS go to Tony. Tell him stuff. It's always very passive aggressive.

I tell Tony everything. Even if I think I made the mistake of talking out of turn to someone about something or to one of his family members I make sure that I tell him first so that he doesn't have to say "oh I didn't know that" but instead they realise I tell him everything and he doesn't care that I said/did it.

Perfect example. My MIL is the ###### from hell. She's a passive aggressive undiagnosed narcissist with possible borderline personality. Tony's paternal grandmother was throwing a Thanksgiving thing. She knew Tony couldn't come because of work and I thought it was polite if I told her I wasn't going to be attending either. We were at her house so Tony could mow the law and install some new vertical blinds for her. I said to her "I know you know Tony's not coming to thanksgiving but thought I should tell you that I won't be coming either. I just don't want to try and deal with the whole "MIL" situation without Tony there". (thought I said MIL's name). She said she understood completely, and I knew Tony had told her the latest "mama-drama". In the car on the way back to our place I told tony what I had told her... good thing too because the next day he got a call/text from his dad about it. And also his sister. Apparently GMIL had decided to approach MIL about our strained relationship and that pissed off MIL who then yelled at FIL who told Tony that I was permitted to feel how I feel and that he understands but could I please not discuss the situation with family members because they gossip. WTH?? I know they gossip. I didn't expect this GMIL to gossip but you're actually telling me that it's okay for her to treat us bad but I'm supposed to shut up about it? Ugh.

Anyway. Without a supportive spouse you're screwed. If tony didn't support me after everything his mothers done I would not be here. Love is supposed to conquer all but I have no ability to love when I feel so downtrodden and emotionally drained/abused.

Timeline

I should say that my own MIL can be a bit of a pain. She is passive-agressive and would never come right out and say stuff but she has done things that are under handed in my opinion so I avoid certain situations entirely. She continues to socialize with my husband's ex (which is ok, she has grandchildren) but it came to a head when we told her about our engagement and she promptly, possibly inadvertantly, let it slip to his ex who then took it upon herself to tell my husband's kids. Entirely unfair and sad because they didn't find out about it from us and it created some strain.

Over the years we've discovered gthat she cannot keep her mouth shut so I don;t chat with her about personal things too much and my husband has had to talk with her more then once about not discussing our life with his ex.

I think I just find her so different from my parents, she loves to talk about everyone at church and what they've done wrong or bring up all the bad things my husband did as a teenager (he was a pretty good kid too) - she just can't get past some things. It's actually a depressing convo everytime we go and I understand why my husband doesn;t go much. He loves her, but she does not focus on the positive.

Arm's length

PS - don't make her appointments, you're not the secretary (I mean seriously, she'll get over it despite the initial bitching)....give her the number and say I wanted you to get the times you wanted so I'll leave you the number...ta ta

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Timeline

Are you kidding me? This sounds like a Melissa/Julian story. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

This website has saved my sanity: http://www.motherinlawstories.com/ I don't know if someone posted it in this thread but I did get it from VJ so if I've reposted I apologise.

My in-laws are bad but I really truly feel for some of these people. My saving grace is Tony is on my side. He said he's pretty sure I can handle most of the bull myself but if he felt I couldn't that he would step in. No-one has ever confronted ME head-on. Could be they realise I've got a whole bunch of bottled-up crazy inside.. but really they ALWAYS go to Tony. Tell him stuff. It's always very passive aggressive.

I tell Tony everything. Even if I think I made the mistake of talking out of turn to someone about something or to one of his family members I make sure that I tell him first so that he doesn't have to say "oh I didn't know that" but instead they realise I tell him everything and he doesn't care that I said/did it.

Perfect example. My MIL is the ###### from hell. She's a passive aggressive undiagnosed narcissist with possible borderline personality. Tony's paternal grandmother was throwing a Thanksgiving thing. She knew Tony couldn't come because of work and I thought it was polite if I told her I wasn't going to be attending either. We were at her house so Tony could mow the law and install some new vertical blinds for her. I said to her "I know you know Tony's not coming to thanksgiving but thought I should tell you that I won't be coming either. I just don't want to try and deal with the whole "MIL" situation without Tony there". (thought I said MIL's name). She said she understood completely, and I knew Tony had told her the latest "mama-drama". In the car on the way back to our place I told tony what I had told her... good thing too because the next day he got a call/text from his dad about it. And also his sister. Apparently GMIL had decided to approach MIL about our strained relationship and that pissed off MIL who then yelled at FIL who told Tony that I was permitted to feel how I feel and that he understands but could I please not discuss the situation with family members because they gossip. WTH?? I know they gossip. I didn't expect this GMIL to gossip but you're actually telling me that it's okay for her to treat us bad but I'm supposed to shut up about it? Ugh.

Anyway. Without a supportive spouse you're screwed. If tony didn't support me after everything his mothers done I would not be here. Love is supposed to conquer all but I have no ability to love when I feel so downtrodden and emotionally drained/abused.

Thats sounds more like my FIL,step MIL and SIL, they always have things to say but Never say it to my face always to my husband , who then eventually passes it down to me. Crazy people now a days, I am just glad My xmas this year is just us.

age.png

age.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.