coraliesolms

Dreaded MIL visit..

80 posts in this topic

Ok... I just received AWEFUL news. My mother in law is flying in on Saturday.. and staying UNTIL NEW YEARS!!! :blink:

This is my first christmas with my family in the US, and this woman is VERY hard to deal with. She is very domineering and opinionated (she told me how to decorate our house when we moved in. When politics come up she tells me to shut up as I am an immigrant and do not know enough to talk about the USA.I dont want to lose my cool in the month that she is going to be here.. thankfully I work in a jewelry store and I will be worked to a frazzle by christmas eve, so hopefully we wont have too many run-ins.

Anybody have any tips on dealing with an over-bearing monster-in-law?

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd be having a talk with ur husband to ensure he sticks up for ya!!! And I'd be firm with her YET always be polite, never loose your cool, doing that will probably drive her nutz,lol Hopefully time flies by fast for you

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh I will pray for you to keep your sanity. I hope time will fly by for you. I have no real tips but you may want to warn your husband to referee his mother.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I must say, he is usually good at intervening when she gets out of line.. but then she starts with the "you used to be my favourite son, and now all you think about is your wife and her feelings!" :huh:

She is just a hard one to deal with. She came into my work once to inform my employers that she needed her hair straitened, so I should be let off early to go home and straiten her hair for her. Nothing I ever wear is good enough for her, if there is just one throw pillow on the floor then she goes on for an hour about how we should tie a cowbell to our 3 year old so "you can find her in this mess".

Its just going to be a tongue biting experience I think. I liked her much more when I was stuck in Canada!! :lol:

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

That's a freaking long time! I'd be like: "Uhh no she can stay for a week TOPS"

I think I'd end up stabbing myself with a spork.

Donne moi une poptart!

That's a freaking long time! I'd be like: "Uhh no she can stay for a week TOPS"

I think I'd end up stabbing myself with a spork.

:rofl: I feel like stabbing myself with a spork now.. and shes not even here yet!!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

I want to second what's been said before. Forgive me if I overstep my boundaries. Ask your husband to do all that he can to make sure to protect you from being hurt - to minimize any negative interaction between his mother and you. Should any negative situations arise (and it's highly likely that they will), it is he, not you, that should establish the boundaries in your relationship as a couple. His mother is a guest in your home and needs to abide by the rules of your home. The bottom line is that you, as the woman of the home, get respect at all times. I know, as a SAn woman myself that that can be difficult because you want to be a good hostess and have harmony between his mother and you. But, that should not happen at all costs. You should never have to endure disrespect or abuse just because you prefer to be gracious - especially not in your own home.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

I must say, he is usually good at intervening when she gets out of line.. but then she starts with the "you used to be my favourite son, and now all you think about is your wife and her feelings!" :huh:

She is just a hard one to deal with. She came into my work once to inform my employers that she needed her hair straitened, so I should be let off early to go home and straiten her hair for her. Nothing I ever wear is good enough for her, if there is just one throw pillow on the floor then she goes on for an hour about how we should tie a cowbell to our 3 year old so "you can find her in this mess".

Its just going to be a tongue biting experience I think. I liked her much more when I was stuck in Canada!! :lol:

Wow! That's pretty wild. It sounds like she doesn't understand boundaries very well. Have you thought of a conversation between the 3 of you and a counselor or mediator? They can sometimes help with making a message clear when other family members cannot.

event.png

event.png

I would make sure that you have a place / room that you can go to when she starts to get really awful. Either that or tell your husband that he and your child are welcome to spend as much time as they like with her at her home but if she can't treat you well in yours then she's not welcome (trust me, this is a recurring trend in my family, me, my Mum and her Mum have all had awful MIL's). You deserve to be treated respectfully in your home and the way that she treats you will just alienate her son from her.

I want to second what's been said before. Forgive me if I overstep my boundaries. Ask your husband to do all that he can to make sure to protect you from being hurt - to minimize any negative interaction between his mother and you. Should any negative situations arise (and it's highly likely that they will), it is he, not you, that should establish the boundaries in your relationship as a couple. His mother is a guest in your home and needs to abide by the rules of your home. The bottom line is that you, as the woman of the home, get respect at all times. I know, as a SAn woman myself that that can be difficult because you want to be a good hostess and have harmony between his mother and you. But, that should not happen at all costs. You should never have to endure disrespect or abuse just because you prefer to be gracious - especially not in your own home.

UR from SA too? Then you KNOW how hard it is!!

I dont know about family mediation.. this woman doesnt really listen well. She got a speeding ticket in NYC once, and mailed it BACK! My husband reminds me constantly about how she co-signed for me to get here and without her help I wouldnt be here with him. And I suppose I should be more grateful, but its really difficult. I will be having a chat with hubby tonight, just so we can set up a game plan for this.

Thank you for all the tips though. I suspect I will be in my office doing lots of catching up on my gemology course this holiday!

Edited by coraliesolms

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

My Husband family is like that, They always go out of there way to tell you there opinion and they are ALWAYS RIGHT.However we are not talking to his family since labor day weekend so We do not have anything to worry about this year. I do suggest that you try to think of her in a clown outfit while she is talking and bit your tongue as much as possible but If she is seriously upsetting you then something should be said.I third the suggestion to maybe tell her how you feel when she speaks unkind about your life or house. She is visiting in YOUR home ;) I would definitely stab myself with a spork or two If I had to deal with a In law, a month is a long time ha ha . I wish you luck.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

^^Excellent advice.

I offer you my sympathies, that is one heck of a long visit. Good luck!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Sorry to hear about your MIL :(

My MIL has changed quite a bit since I moved here. People here will remember what happened last Christmas with her and my mom... disaster!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I feel for you! My MIL is ok but my SIL is exactly how you describe your MIL... I know nothing about politics, child rearing or anything because I am not American!

Deep breaths, and a reminder that there is always others who have it worse: http://www.motherinlawstories.com/

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

:rofl: I feel like stabbing myself with a spork now.. and shes not even here yet!!

I have a MIL who can sometimes be hard to deal with. Extremely passive aggressive, sends my husband PA emails whenever he doesn't do what she wants.

I barely go over to visit with her or anything because of the way she acts and she just lives 20 minutes away.

Before I moved here I really thought we'd get along. I guess we did when I wasn't married to her son.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.