ngant17

green card interview, K1 visa/marriage

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

My fiancee (now wife) entered the US on a K1 visa in April 2010. We were married the following month. We have completed the final paperwork(I-864) and we are awaiting an interview for her (conditional) permanent residence (green card). Her work permit was recently issued to her, it is good for one year. The interview (Application to Register Permanent Residence) is scheduled in Jan 2011. My wife is not fluent in English yet, and I think that for this interview, it might be helpful to hire a translator who is fluent in English and her native language(Spanish). I asked an immigration attorney about this process, and I was told that this interview will probably not be short, because marriage(K1-based) interviews these days often take hours. And if we go without an attorney, my wife and I will be probably separated and each of us will be asked a long string of questions. Is this realistic these days? What kind of interview should we expect in this part of the process? Is a translator necessary in our case?

Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-02

I-129F NOA1: 2005-10-06

I-129F RFE(s): 2006-01-03

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-03-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-03-21

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-08-02

Consulate Received : 2006-08-12

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2007-05-23

Visa Received : 2009-11-15

US Entry : 2010-04-20

Marriage : 2010-05-10

Comments : USINT requested her CV at interview, additional delay.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
My fiancee (now wife) entered the US on a K1 visa in April 2010. We were married the following month. We have completed the final paperwork(I-864) and we are awaiting an interview for her (conditional) permanent residence (green card). Her work permit was recently issued to her, it is good for one year. The interview (Application to Register Permanent Residence) is scheduled in Jan 2011. My wife is not fluent in English yet, and I think that for this interview, it might be helpful to hire a translator who is fluent in English and her native language(Spanish).

I asked an immigration attorney about this process, and I was told that this interview will probably not be short, because marriage(K1-based) interviews these days often take hours. And if we go without an attorney, my wife and I will be probably separated and each of us will be asked a long string of questions. Is this realistic these days? What kind of interview should we expect in this part of the process? Is a translator necessary in our case?

The interview will most likely NOT be hours long. Most are around 15 minutes to 1/2 hour, depending on your case. If you get a Stokes Interview (one where you're separated) then yes you will have a much longer interview. This interview does NOT happen simply because an attorney is not there. That is complete bull.

If you are not sure of your wife's english skills then it is in HER best interest to have an interpreter ready just in case. Whether this is a friend or family member doesn't matter. Sometimes they will let you translate but for a Stokes interview they don't.

** moved from "K1 Process & Procedures" to "AOS (Family)" as this is about the AOS stage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancee (now wife) entered the US on a K1 visa in April 2010. We were married the following month. We have completed the final paperwork(I-864) and we are awaiting an interview for her (conditional) permanent residence (green card). Her work permit was recently issued to her, it is good for one year. The interview (Application to Register Permanent Residence) is scheduled in Jan 2011. My wife is not fluent in English yet, and I think that for this interview, it might be helpful to hire a translator who is fluent in English and her native language(Spanish). I asked an immigration attorney about this process, and I was told that this interview will probably not be short, because marriage(K1-based) interviews these days often take hours. And if we go without an attorney, my wife and I will be probably separated and each of us will be asked a long string of questions. Is this realistic these days? What kind of interview should we expect in this part of the process? Is a translator necessary in our case?

My wife and stepdaughter just had the interview last month. It took about 20-30 minutes. They came in to the USA on K-1/K-2 visas. My wife speaks very little English and we did have my stepdaughter act as an interpretor. I believe the instructions tell you to bring an interpretor.

Here is our experience:

We were called in on time. Very pleasant officer interviewed us but sitting behind her in the corner was another much sterner looking fellow who did interact with us. She asked for proof of our relationship. I gave her: 1 utility bill (comcast), life insurance policy showing my wife as beneficiary, a notarized letter from a friend attesting to our relationship, a letter from my bank saying we have an active account together and that was it.

After that she proceeded to ask my wife all the questions we had previously answered on the I-485. Then she asked my stepdaughter the same questions. She never asked for anything else and didn't ask me any questions.

After this, I asked them to stamp my stepdaughters Passport with the I-551 stamp because she needs to go back to Ukraine to take some exams for University.

The officer then said they needed to check some things and we should wait in the lobby until called again. About 10 minutes later she came out and showed us the I-551 stamp and said congratulations. She then gave us information about applying for the 10 year card in August of 2012.

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline
surely they'd send in an interviewer that is bilingual?

Nope. Sometimes you might get lucky but you can't expect them to have someone who speaks every language in the world. This is a local office we're talking about, not head office with multiple employees.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Nope. Sometimes you might get lucky but you can't expect them to have someone who speaks every language in the world. This is a local office we're talking about, not head office with multiple employees.

well yeah, if it was like russian or something i'd understand, but for spanish they don't have bilingual interviewers? i find that odd when i have to hit a button to get english instead of spanish for most anywhere i call anymore, lol

Timeline
well yeah, if it was like russian or something i'd understand, but for spanish they don't have bilingual interviewers? i find that odd when i have to hit a button to get english instead of spanish for most anywhere i call anymore, lol

Lol I agree. I suppose it depends on the state the OP is interviewing in. I know here in Iowa I don't think my chances are very high, Houston (where we used to live) there are LOTS of bilingual people because there are a lot of Mexican's in Houston.

Timeline

Lol I agree. I suppose it depends on the state the OP is interviewing in. I know here in Iowa I don't think my chances are very high, Houston (where we used to live) there are LOTS of bilingual people because there are a lot of Mexican's in Houston.

that made me laugh, i woulda gone with "because texas borders mexico". but yeah, i grew up in southern cali and guess i just assume that everyone learns spanish by high school.

Timeline

When we went for her biometrics (in Orlando office, Florida), she did not have much of a problem with her limited English. There was not a bilingual officer present there, to my knowledge.

Yes, I would think that Spanish (her native language) would not be a big obstacle for immigration offices in Miami, Florida, but we are scheduled for this interview in Orlando in the approx. location as before (almost same address). I guess I should try to get her to bring someone in her family from Miami or S. Florida to help her for the interview in January.

Texas Service Center

NVC Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Bilingual ones work on the Deportation side.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

When we went for her biometrics (in Orlando office, Florida), she did not have much of a problem with her limited English. There was not a bilingual officer present there, to my knowledge.

Yes, I would think that Spanish (her native language) would not be a big obstacle for immigration offices in Miami, Florida, but we are scheduled for this interview in Orlando in the approx. location as before (almost same address). I guess I should try to get her to bring someone in her family from Miami or S. Florida to help her for the interview in January.

better safe than sorry, one thing i've learned in this process, no such thing as over prepared

Timeline

I probably should add that my wife Vilma and I have voluntarily been separated due to employment and some personal matters(she is working in Miami now, and living with her sister, who has been undergoing chemotherapy and needed some assistance getting to the hospital herself). I don't have a problem with this, we both agreed to it because for one thing, the economy is not so good, she needed to find honest work as soon as possible, to help pay for some of these immigration expenses, and it was easier for her to work in Miami at this time. Also Vilma's family in Miami has been a great help and support for her, as the culture shock is very hard for her at this moment in her life. She says she feels like a fish out of the water when she leaves Miami for any length of time. She also doesn't have her drivers license yet, so she depends on family for getting to and from her workplace. I am almost part of her extended Cuban family, and we do manage to visit each other in spite of the distances (I am working in Orlando). We are both mature adults, and we have complete trust in each other.

Of course, I do know that marriage fraud is big business in the US, and this is a priority for the immigration officers to detect this. However this is not our case and we are not worried about this, though I'm sure that immigration might have some additional questions when we explain our specific situation. Hopefully we will not have to wait much longer for the green card, as she needs to bring her two daughters here once we can get a bigger income to support that household size.

Texas Service Center

NVC Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Timeline
I probably should add that my wife Vilma and I have voluntarily been separated due to employment and some personal matters(she is working in Miami now, and living with her sister, who has been undergoing chemotherapy and needed some assistance getting to the hospital herself). I don't have a problem with this, we both agreed to it because for one thing, the economy is not so good, she needed to find honest work as soon as possible, to help pay for some of these immigration expenses, and it was easier for her to work in Miami at this time. Also Vilma's family in Miami has been a great help and support for her, as the culture shock is very hard for her at this moment in her life. She says she feels like a fish out of the water when she leaves Miami for any length of time. She also doesn't have her drivers license yet, so she depends on family for getting to and from her workplace. I am almost part of her extended Cuban family, and we do manage to visit each other in spite of the distances (I am working in Orlando). We are both mature adults, and we have complete trust in each other.

Of course, I do know that marriage fraud is big business in the US, and this is a priority for the immigration officers to detect this. However this is not our case and we are not worried about this, though I'm sure that immigration might have some additional questions when we explain our specific situation. Hopefully we will not have to wait much longer for the green card, as she needs to bring her two daughters here once we can get a bigger income to support that household size.

It would not hurt your case if you were to take a copy of medical records to help explain her stating in Miami at the moment, as well as proof of visiting each other.

It's hard because you know your relationship is real and valid, but having to prove it is sometimes hard because how do you really prove emotions? I know for me personally that I would not be living apart from my husband. If he got offered a really well paying job and I had a well paying job then as a couple we would decide who would give up their job and move for the other. We lived apart for long enough and went through this process to be together.. I think USCIS thinks the same so you have some work ahead of you but if you have good evidence of co-mingling and working on your relationship (travel to and from etc) then you should be fine. Other couples live apart, it's not the end of the world.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We had our interview in Miami. Our interviewer was Hispanic and I should have brought an interpreter because his English was not very good. I think there is a good chance you will find several interviewers that are bilingual in Orlando.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.