timcass_12

Applying for tourist visa for my 28yo sister

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am a green card holder with pending ROC status and my husband and I are thinking of having my 28yo sister come here as a visitor to help take care of our 1yo son. I am also pregnant at the moment and will give birth end-May or early-June 2011 so we would really need additional help with the kids given that we're both working. We will be sponsoring her stay here and would also pay for her visa processing but we're not sure if she'll be approve. So what do you think will be her chances of getting approve?

We also have another sister who has an existing US touris visa but she's unable to quit her job because of a 2 years bond in her contract with her current employer. If she doesn't have a bond then we wouldn't have a problem sending her here.

Thanks and appreciate your replies.

AOS:

07/16/08 - filed AOS application

07/18/08 - received by USCIS

07/22/08 - USCIS mailed our NOA

07/24/08 - touched

07/25/08 - received NOA (AOS, EAD, AP)

07/29/08 - received ASC Appointment Notice (Biometrics)

08/09/08 - biometrics appointment

08/11/08 - I485 and I765 touched

09/17/08 - AP approved

09/19/08 - EAD approved, card already in production

09/24/08 - EAD card received

09/25/08 - SSN application

10/01/08 - received letter re: SSN card delivery in 2 weeks

10/06/08 - SSN Card received

02/17/09 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

ROC:

11/19/10 - Submit requirements for Lifting of Conditions

11/22/10 - NOA1 received

12/22/10 - Biometrics Appointment

02/09/11 - ROC APPROVED!

02/10/11 - Green Card Received

US CITIZENSHIP:

12/19/11 - Submit requirements for US Citizenship

12/22/11 - NOA1 received

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans not to harm you but to prosper you. Plans to give you hope and a better future."

- Jeremiah 29:11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If she tries to apply for a tourist visa to enable her to travel to the US and work ( child care in your home) she will not be approved.

She can apply for a tourist visa and show strong ties to home. You cannot sponsor her. She obtains the visa on her own merits.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If she tries to apply for a tourist visa to enable her to travel to the US and work ( child care in your home) she will not be approved.

She can apply for a tourist visa and show strong ties to home. You cannot sponsor her. She obtains the visa on her own merits.

ditto,

a tourist visa is not for working. if she ever gets one, she has to return before her stay ends and if they find out she worked, the immigration officers will cancel her tourist visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

But educational in explaining why it can be difficult in getting a visitor visa from the Philippines.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

:thumbs:

Citizenship next step!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You cannot sponsor her for a tourist visa, she needs to apply on her own plus she needs to show proof of strong ties back to the Philippines (i.e. lots of land, vehicles/cars, lots of money in the bank, stable job and or lucrative business are just some samples). If she is single then her chances are even slimmer. Using her as a child care provider/baby-sitter is considered employment so definitely against the conditions of tourist visa. Good luck to you and her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

She shouldn't tell them that she plans on "taking care of your children" during her visit. Mentioning that she would like to visit her new niece or nephew would be a better way to explain the reason for her visit. As others have said you cannot "sponsor" her visit. However, "invite" letters are quite helpful at some consulates. I'm not sure if that is the case with Manila, so I'll defer to someone with direct knowledge of this.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.