vnicaragua

NEED TO KNOW STEPS TO LEGALIZE MY SITUATION, MARRIED US CITIZEN AND NOT SURE WHAT ARE THE FIRST STEPS TO TAKE.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I got married not long ago to a US citizen. I came to the US under a visitor's visa when I was 14. Now that we are married I would like to start on my paperwork to obtain my residency. Have you been through something similar? Need help please! So far from what I have researched on my own, I understand I need to fill I-130, correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you need to fill out a CONCURRENT 1-130/I-485. Here is the VJ guide.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Your overstay will not harm you in filing this paperwork, so fill it out and get them sent! Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
thanks! do I need to file both I-130/485???

that would be what he said. Read the link he posted and read what he posted, he actually SAID to file them...

that would be what he said. Read the link he posted and read what he posted, he actually SAID to file them...

Hey, I am a she! :P (and the USC...I know you have sigs turned off lol) :luv:

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hey, I am a she! :P (and the USC...I know you have sigs turned off lol) :luv:

lol. See what mess it puts me in?? I promise I'll try and remember next time :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

thanks! do I need to file both I-130/485???

Your US citizen spouse files the I-130. You file the I-485. It's best if you file them both at the same time, and in the same package. Harpa Timsah gave you a link to the step-by-step procedure you should follow. Read the information there and follow the instructions.

There are a number of other forms you must also complete and submit. Some of these forms require additional documents and evidence. Make sure you read the instructions for each and every form, and include everything that's required in your package to USCIS. Filing the petition has the effect of calling the attention of USCIS to yourself. If you are denied because you didn't prepare your forms, documents, and evidence correctly then you could find yourself appealing the decision in front of an immigration judge while trying to stop USCIS from deporting you. This would suck big time. Take your time, read everything, and get it right the first time. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.