acoban

Before I mail I-130...

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I'm about to mail my I-130, with the intention of ultimately applying for a K-3 Visa for my wife. I have 3 questions. First, can someone please review my cover letter and tell me what you think about my application? I will be submitting the materials stated.

*** START ***

USCIS

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680-4107

November 11, 2010

Dear Sir or Madam,

Enclosed, please find the following contents for the I-130 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION:

o (1) Payment in the amount of $355

o (1) Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

o (1) I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

o (1) Form G-325A, Biographic Information (Petitioner; NAME with photograph)

-(1) Copy of US Passport (NAME)

-(1) Copy of Birth Certificate (NAME)

o (1) Form G-325A, Biographic Information (Beneficiary; NAME with photograph)

-(1) Copy of Birth Certificate with English Translation (NAME)

o (1) Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate

o (1) Compact Disc including 31 dated photographs spanning 2+ years to prove relationship

Please contact me with any questions. Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

NAME (Petitioner)

Phone

Email

Address

*** END ***

Second, can someone please confirm that I'm sending my I-130 to the right address? I am a New Jersey resident, and mailing the I-130 Petition only.

And third, in the address sections of the I-130 and G-325a for my wife (who is from Switzerland), I am having trouble dividing the zip code and city, etc. Here is how I did it (the following is an example):

Kappelergasse 1 [street name + building number]

8022 Zürich [city]

Switzerland [country name]

Then, I would leave the Apt., State/Province, and Zip Code areas blank. Is this OK? Whenever I mail her anything, the format on the left is what I follow. However, I am confused as to how I should divide everything on the I-130 and G-325a Forms.

THANK YOU!

Edited by acoban

The Zip code, 8022 IS the "zip code" for the address in Zurich, Zurich and the surrounding areas use the zip code 8xxx. And you should have a State/Region/Province unless it is the city of Zurich itself.

80xx - City of Zurich

81xx - Region Zürcher Unterland

82xx - Region Schaffhausen, Kreuzlingen, Büsingen am Hochrhein (German enclave)

83xx - Kloten, Zürcher Oberland, Hinwil, Hinterthurgau

84xx - Region Winterthur, Tösstal

85xx - Region Frauenfeld, Weinfelden, Amriswil, Romanshorn

86xx - Region Dübendorf, Zürcher Oberland, See (SG)

87xx - Region Right shore of Lake Zurich, Gaster/See (SG), Canton Glarus

88xx - Region Linkes Zürichseeufer, Ausserschwyz (March, Höfe, Einsiedeln SZ), Glarner Unterland, Sarganserland/Lake Walen

89xx - Region Limmattal, Albis, Knonauer Amt, Kelleramt (eastermost Aargau)

Edited by Utah_Bound

First of all, the K3 is no longer attainable. You will be heading on the CR1/IR path. Your cover letter looks good, but I don't think they will look at your CD; I think they want hard copies. I am not positive; hopefully someone will confirm. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

@ Utah

The city is Worb, in the canton of Bern. What would that look like?

@ Harpa

K-3 no longer attainable???

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=254a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=254a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I'm confused! :unsure:

I know! They let you apply for it but once you get to NVC they will just close the 129F part and proceed with the 130... effectively making it a CR1/IR1. If you look at this forum that's basically all it is used for anymore - to notify people that it's not attainable anymore. I will try to get the news link for you. Good luck!

EDIT: Here's the linky

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2010/02/07/department-of-state-to-close-k-3-visas-if-i-129f-and-i-130-petitions-approved-and-received-together/

As I understand it, there is no way to avoid them being "matched up" at NVC and having the one closed. It's okay, the CR1/IR1 is just as fast as the K3 now, which is part of why they stopped it.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@ Utah

The city is Worb, in the canton of Bern. What would that look like?

@ Harpa

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=254a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=254a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Well you can still do the k-3 but when it gets approved it just ends up being the cr-1 anyways. SO go the cr-1 route. :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov...000082ca60aRCRD

People used to do both the Cr1 and the K3 right after that cause K3 used to be processed faster, well now that's not the case any more as they both takes the same time

So if you did both, they both gonna be processed simultaneously .

Meaning if you did the I-130 petition, you are good, you don't need the I-129f

Note: in your case I-130 = Cr1 Visa, I-129f = k3 Visa

Read on this the difference between the Cr1 and the K3

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/CR1_vs_K3

Good Luck

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Thank you... this is great news. I was dreading the fact that I would have to think about Work Papers, SSN, Adjustment of Status... So then, Cr1 it is!

To be sure, I still begin the Cr1 Visa with sending the I-130 ONLY, right? Also, can someone please confirm the address to send to. I'm a NJ resident:

USCIS

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Correct?

Yep yep! Address is correct if you use normal postal mail. If you are planning to use Fedex or whatnot, there is a "courier" address. Good luck!

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I know! They let you apply for it but once you get to NVC they will just close the 129F part and proceed with the 130... effectively making it a CR1/IR1. If you look at this forum that's basically all it is used for anymore - to notify people that it's not attainable anymore. I will try to get the news link for you. Good luck!

EDIT: Here's the linky

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2010/02/07/department-of-state-to-close-k-3-visas-if-i-129f-and-i-130-petitions-approved-and-received-together/

As I understand it, there is no way to avoid them being "matched up" at NVC and having the one closed. It's okay, the CR1/IR1 is just as fast as the K3 now, which is part of why they stopped it.

No, they do not "let you apply for it". USCIS will let you follow your I-130 filing with an I-129F for spouse, put your I-130 back in line with the I-129F, effectively delaying the approval of your I-130 and then approve them the same day and send them on to the National Visa Center (Dept. of State) where NVC will promtly "administratively close" the I-129F petition that slowed down your I-130 processing. Applying for a visa is something you do with the Dept. of State and DOS will NOT allow you to apply for the K3 (or K4) visa the I-129F was filed for to begin with.

USCIS doesn't issue visas. Let that sink in. You NEVER send a "visa application" to USCIS....BECAUSE....

USCIS doesn't issue visas.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yeah, I was just trying to speak simply because to OP was already confused.

But thanks for yelling at me!! I think it was really warranted! ++

AOS for my husband

ROC:

o (1) Compact Disc including 31 dated photographs spanning 2+ years to prove relationship

I won't include CD as they won't be able to view it.

Citizenship next step!

Timeline

Yeah, I was just trying to speak simply because to OP was already confused.

But thanks for yelling at me!! I think it was really warranted! ++

So, let's not confuse him further by "simply" interchanging the terms "petition" and "visa application". Ok?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Enclosed, please find the following contents for the I-130 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION:

o (1) Payment in the amount of $355

o (1) Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

o (1) I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

o (1) Form G-325A, Biographic Information (Petitioner; NAME with photograph)

-(1) Copy of US Passport (NAME)

-(1) Copy of Birth Certificate (NAME)

o (1) Form G-325A, Biographic Information (Beneficiary; NAME with photograph)

-(1) Copy of Birth Certificate with English Translation (NAME)

o (1) Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate

The beneficiary's birth certificate should not be included at this stage. Save it for NVC.

G325a forms and passport photos are not connected. I would put the G325a forms together, yours first and then the passport photos in a plastic bag stapled to a full sheet of paper in the stack under the G325a forms. Put the Marriage certificate before the G325a forms but after the I-130.

Leave out the CD. Instead, select a few example photographs and print them (up to 9 per page) in color on full sheets of plain paper instead.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

@ Harpa

OK, I will use normal postal mail so address is correct. Thanks!

@ pushbrk

I will change my cover letter and application assembly according to your suggestions. I will also NOT include a CD but print the pictures accordingly. Thank you!

I still need to make sure I input my wife's Swiss address correctly... that's on me.

Now, I AM a Newb. I was using an immigration lawyer but I found him to be incompetent and wanting to overcharge. So, I have a couple more questions I'd really appreciate confirmation on.

1. I petition for the I-130 only, right? I don't petition for anything else until the I-130 gets approved? (doesn't matter if I went K-3 or CR1?)

2. Any estimate as to how long it will take for an I-130 to get approved?

Thank you all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.