lizzye

do i really need to change my last name??

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

ok guys, i have been married for 2 yrs and we are both from nigeria, i am a USC and just filed for my husband in march, everyone keeps telling me that i have to change my last name to my husband's inother to prove that we have a bonafide relationship? i recently lost my father and it has been really hard to deal with it and now they want me to change my last name? i love my husband very much, he is my soulmate it is ok with him if i don't, the truth is that i will rather keep it until i am really ready to change the name..... has anyone with CR1/IR1 ever been denied a visa because of this? has anyone been approved for visa without changing their last name? thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

ok guys, i have been married for 2 yrs and we are both from nigeria, i am a USC and just filed for my husband in march, everyone keeps telling me that i have to change my last name to my husband's inother to prove that we have a bonafide relationship? i recently lost my father and it has been really hard to deal with it and now they want me to change my last name? i love my husband very much, he is my soulmate it is ok with him if i don't, the truth is that i will rather keep it until i am really ready to change the name..... has anyone with CR1/IR1 ever been denied a visa because of this? has anyone been approved for visa without changing their last name? thanks

No you don't have to change your last name.

Proof of bonafides can be established without this.

You can use other stuff, lease, joint bank accounts, mortgage statements, etc. Don't sweat this. :dance:

Edited by brokenfamily

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

Changing your last to your Husband name is a gradual process, despite that both of you are married, You are living in the US and your Husband is living in Nigeria,based on the fact that he is preparing to join you as your Husband, It will be very difficult for you to change your name right now since he is not physical with you in the US, I strong believe that it will not affect your Husband Visa if the issues comes up , It is a matter of explanation and it is well reasoned when taken it into consideration.

So do not worry about that, Try as much as possible to get your Husband to join you in the US , then you can start doing that immediately since both of you are in the same place.

I wish you the best of luck and Congratulation for happy married life.

Take care

BG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Long story short - no. Not changing your name has no affect on the process whatsoever. You don't need to change it now, or ever.

**Edit - if you were the immigrant your decision would be more important. You would need to pay $300+ to change your name on your greencard, or wait for ROC or naturalisation. As the USC this doesn't matter to you.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The normal answer would be NO but you are dealing with Lagos the worse consulte in the whole system. The answer will lie in the mood of the person interviewing you. A key thing would be , what is the custom in your tribe(s) . If it is the custom there to take your spouses name then you are looking at trouble if you don't.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

well said nigeriaorbust I was thinking the same thing...It is probably best to change it to be on the safe side dont give the Naija consulate any reason.....Good luck :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Timeline

Hi,

Changing your last to your Husband name is a gradual process, despite that both of you are married, You are living in the US and your Husband is living in Nigeria,based on the fact that he is preparing to join you as your Husband, It will be very difficult for you to change your name right now since he is not physical with you in the US, I strong believe that it will not affect your Husband Visa if the issues comes up , It is a matter of explanation and it is well reasoned when taken it into consideration.

So do not worry about that, Try as much as possible to get your Husband to join you in the US , then you can start doing that immediately since both of you are in the same place.

I wish you the best of luck and Congratulation for happy married life.

Take care

BG

Being that she is the US Citizen, her husband living in Nigeria has nothing to do with the process of her changing her name as long as she has a marriage certificate. She would just need to start with changing her name with SSA, then driver's license, and so on.

The normal answer would be NO but you are dealing with Lagos the worse consulte in the whole system. The answer will lie in the mood of the person interviewing you. A key thing would be, what is the custom in your tribe(s) . If it is the custom there to take your spouses name then you are looking at trouble if you don't.

If she hyphenated her name do you think that would still cause a problem?

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Timeline

MANY women - especially in the States - do NOT change their name for a variety of reasons.

Ranging from professional reasons (like myself - I still have my maiden name depite a prior 12 year marriage and 3 kids) to women who want to keep the same last name as their children.

I will never change my name and know other woman that feel the same and their hubbys (from Nigeria!) still got their visas. IMO, changing your name is just another piece of "bona fide marriage" evidence. If you have other strong evidence to support the validity of your marriage, it should not what your name is.

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

MANY women - especially in the States - do NOT change their name for a variety of reasons.

Ranging from professional reasons (like myself - I still have my maiden name depite a prior 12 year marriage and 3 kids) to women who want to keep the same last name as their children.

I will never change my name and know other woman that feel the same and their hubbys (from Nigeria!) still got their visas. IMO, changing your name is just another piece of "bona fide marriage" evidence. If you have other strong evidence to support the validity of your marriage, it should not what your name is.

Yes, I know the type, and I would NEVER marry them.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

Yes, I know the type, and I would NEVER marry them.

:star:

Thanks for sharing

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

Filed: Other Timeline

Before we got married, my wife asked me if I would like her to take my name, and I told her to wait until Demi Moore changes hers to Demi Willis. Woman who have confidence, personality and self-esteem, don't feel the need to change their name just because "the man" wants it. They may decide to do it for personal reasons, but surely not because some consular employee in Nigeria would like it.

#### that!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

SMDH. who told you that?

girl, keep your name if that's what you want to do. there are plenty of ways of proving that you have a bona fide relationship that doesn't involve a name change.

i waited until we were done with the visa process before i changed my name to make sure there was no wahala from any agency we dealt with during the process, so i am living proof you can get your cr1/ir1 without a name change.

My fiancee and I were just talking about this very issue today--should she change her last name or not. Since her passport will be used for travelling and it is in her madian name, all tickets will need to be in her madain name. If her GC is in her married name then she would have to show proof of marriage--i.e. carry her marriage certificate--in order to gain re-entry to the USA. What a PITA. So I am thinking she should wait until after she becomes a US citizen (if she decides to do that) then it will be much easier to change her last name. I do not care one way or the other as it will not affect how much I love her--a name is just a name--and wish we were together.

Why does changing the last name of the woman in the marriage show that a relationship is more bona fide then not changing the name? I've always wondering if the person looking over our cases, if married, could justify their marriage. I know, the advantages of not having to verses having to in order to gain a benefit.

My $0.02 worth.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.