hellomms

Can I ask USCIS to NOT schedule interview for certain dates

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Me and my wife (USC) have spent a significant chunk of money on the trip between December 7th and December 16th, its a non-refundable trip and we really cant re-schedule that. I thought I had filed early enough to avoid conflict but now its starting to concern me. Thus far I have not received any communication or RFE and the Last Update was 8/18/2010 on my I-485. I am scared that USCIS might schedule the AOS interview between these days.

I dont know whether my case is awaiting interview in the NYC office or its still being reviewed at the NBC. The timeline for the NYC office (based on VJ and Trackitt) indicates that some people have already gotten their interview letters while the USCIS timeline indicates that they are taking a little over 4 months to process I-485.

Is there ANY way I can prevent USCIS from scheduling the interview between Dec 7th and Dec 16th? I really dont want to be in the position to re-schedule the interview or the trip.

thanks in advance!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry No this is not possible. Would be a good thing that the office come up with... But you will be toldthat applicants are advised not to make arrangements until approvals to avoid conflicts. You can however seek arrangements to have it rescheduled and with valid reasons.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

Sorry No this is not possible. Would be a good thing that the office come up with... But you will be toldthat applicants are advised not to make arrangements until approvals to avoid conflicts. You can however seek arrangements to have it rescheduled and with valid reasons.

From what I have ready, reschedules are possible and my reason would be valid given the financial implications.

Seems like there is major miscommunication between the NBC and the Field Office. I have read that people call USCIS for reschedule service request but it never gets communicated to the local office and thats why people get those denial notes.

I have been trying to find a success story with details of how they re-scheduled, any idea?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Trying to reschedule an AOS appointment is fraught with peril. You might try an InfoPass appointment, bringing with you the complete evidence of your trip, and see if you can get something in writing from the immigration officer that authorizes a postponement or a newly reset date. Rescheduling may not be possible, but nothing would be lost by trying in this fashion.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

From what I have ready, reschedules are possible and my reason would be valid given the financial implications.

Seems like there is major miscommunication between the NBC and the Field Office. I have read that people call USCIS for reschedule service request but it never gets communicated to the local office and thats why people get those denial notes.

I have been trying to find a success story with details of how they re-scheduled, any idea?

The problem is you cannot get "re-scheduled" until you get scheduled.

We are at different point in process but would not be suprised if people call/email and never hear back. Murphys law says you will get interview during your vacation. We just had a ruined vacation because interview was scheduled after we made arrangements but we made the interview a priority.

Edited by brokenfamily

Timeline

The problem is you cannot get "re-scheduled" until you get scheduled.

We are at different point in process but would not be suprised if people call/email and never hear back. Murphys law says you will get interview during your vacation. We just had a ruined vacation because interview was scheduled after we made arrangements but we made the interview a priority.

Technically I am not asking to 're-schedule' but to avoid a schedule on certain date. I was calling USCIS and one ISO said I should make a request and give it to local office, the way she said it I was not convinced that this would help at all but now I am thinking that Infopass wont hurt.

Well, its our Honeymoon trip and we have a committed very decent amount of money on it. Foregoing that is going to be very painful, financially and mentally.

Edited by M + M

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

But if by chance your interview is scheduled during your honeymoon wouldn't missing that be just as painful?? A lot of times even if tickets say non-refundable if you call and tell them exactly whats going on they will give you flexibility to change your dates. Maybe this would be possible.

Of course, at this point you aren't even scheduled yet that we know of so you could end up having your interview in November and this whole conversation would be moot.

But from what I've read since I've been on VJ, rescheduling your interview is very very very frowned upon. You can schedule an infopass but they'll probably tell you that this is way more important than a vacation, honeymoon or not. They're not very forgiving. One of the July filers was told the other day that just because they were face to face didn't mean they'd get any answers. Way rude, if you ask me.

Good luck and I hope it works out!

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What what you have already..? where di you get the information? Reschedules based on financial implication/s isnt a convincint stoy now-a-days. Not trying to be hard but saying the importance... as for work.. that's somethings most if not all employers would allow to go unless they would like their employees to become deportable because they didnt go to a very important life changing event.

Why would they honor a certain date... this means you're graning your own approval.. how do you know the outcome of the submitted documents..?

I understand a non-refundable fare and the pain it takes to reschedule and dealing with the airlines/travel agencies... but as someone once said.. it's more important that the honeymoon, work, food, etc.. because this is what would change your life... missing a simple* appointment, being denided for whatever cause , being approvel which paves the way for the N400 etc

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Technically I am not asking to 're-schedule' but to avoid a schedule on certain date. I was calling USCIS and one ISO said I should make a request and give it to local office, the way she said it I was not convinced that this would help at all but now I am thinking that Infopass wont hurt.

Well, its our Honeymoon trip and we have a committed very decent amount of money on it. Foregoing that is going to be very painful, financially and mentally.

Yeah we tried something similar on our VISA interview, no interview certain date range.. but sadly no help in fact they made us re-do the medical on top of scheduling the interview in the middle of the vacation which made the visit even shorter. Luckily I figured for this worst case scenario and stepped up and paid for 1st class tickets I could tinker with the dates on. In the end we got to spend 9 days vs the original 29 we planned on in Europe.

The problem is that even if you get it successfully changed (I don't think you can tell them now post-sending the AOS package off not to go on certain dates), when the original date passes, I've read that sometimes they'll deny the case based on you not showing up and then you have to pay lots of $$ to open the case again and lots of no-good stuff like deportation threats.

I was in a similar situation (although I got very lucky and got transferred to CSC), although what I was able to read in one case was that if you do have a date that conflicts, then you can make an infopass before the date and bring all your documents ready, plead your case, and in the case of the person, they just did the AOS interview right then. I have NO idea how likely or safe this is, but I did read about it in one thread.

Good luck!

p.s. My husband and I did have our honeymoon trip to Hawaii in this likely timeframe and did make the decision that even if we had to fly all the way back and eat the $$ and pay $1000 on tickets, it would be worth it to protect his status. Ultimately, we didn't plan ahead far enough and that was our own fault.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

p.s. My husband and I did have our honeymoon trip to Hawaii in this likely timeframe and did make the decision that even if we had to fly all the way back and eat the $$ and pay $1000 on tickets, it would be worth it to protect his status. Ultimately, we didn't plan ahead far enough and that was our own fault.

Well, our trip is also in Hawaii :) We booked it in May of this year. I didnt think it would be close as I originally filed in mid-July and due to wrong form version ended up reapplying and now the NOA1 date is Aug 13. Still thought that we'd make it until I saw NYC's timeline.

I would consider making the change to our itenirary if the interview is one day away. If not, I might just take the risk of reschudling as I am already on H1B so they cant really deport me until that is valid ... or may be they can :blink:

As soon as I get the interview letter and (hopefully NOT) shows conflict I'll make InfoPass with my wife and see what they say.

Make sure whatever you do that if you reschedule your interview date reschedule it at the actual office (no online or calling) and make it BEFORE your actual interview date. If you make it after and they think you've missed it for whatever reason that will be a denial, if you make it before at least you stand a chance.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

wen you get your interview letter u wont be interview until 1 month after from the date you get ur interview latter.. so you don't get a interview letter as yet an you don't even know if u getting a interview letter this year or next year and u worring about rescheduling interview, you can't do nothing at the moment more than just wait until the interview letter come in the mail to know what date it is.. and uscis wont rescheduling ur interview because of ur honeymoon.. plus 1 more thing u need the actual interview letter to get a interview rescheduling , so stop worring an just sit back a relaxes until ur get the interview letter..

Here is what can happen when you try to reschedule an interview, even if you think you've done everything right:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/277666-i-485-denied-help/page__pid__4228844#entry4228844

24q38dy.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.