nab

if you had to move to a third world country...

55 posts in this topic

since there are people from all over the world here thought this might be a good place to ask this.

so, if you had to move to a third world country, where would you choose to live and why?

what kinds of things would you do to protect yourself and your family.

feel free to list any thing else that comes to your mind in regards to the things you would do if moving like that.

Thanks!

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Why would anyone want to move to a third-world country?

good question for a new thread... perhaps you'd like to post it

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: Timeline

since there are people from all over the world here thought this might be a good place to ask this.

so, if you had to move to a third world country, where would you choose to live and why?

what kinds of things would you do to protect yourself and your family.

feel free to list any thing else that comes to your mind in regards to the things you would do if moving like that.

Thanks!

India, because I have people there.

Protect myself?? From what, crazy hijras?

After looking at the list of third world countries I've decided that none of them appeal to me. :)

The Philippines is unclassified on that site or maybe I didn't scan through the pages any better. :blink: I wonder how reliable that source is.

Anyway, recent articles online seem to be stating implicitly that the US is the newest third world country (not that I believe all of them). I still love it here though.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'm surprised that Niger ranks as high on the lists as it does, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Northern Malaysia, outskirts of Kuala Lumpur District. I dunno, those that know, not consider it to be 3rd world, though.

as to why? easy peasy - can buy into business partnership there, get visa for me and my wife, live nice life, is multi-lingual, multi-cultural, nice food of many types, also good jazz bars. Much of the lifestyle there is similar to Singapura, but not as expensive.

Is also one of the few SE Asian Counties where I can import used Volvo Station Wagons, ca 1988 to 1995, and not get the sh|t taxed out of me for duties and import fees.

Oh - and the Renault Kangoo - that's the main reason, really (I'm in lust on this vehicle)

---

maybe I'm confused about '3rd world country' ? aiyo.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Northern Malaysia, outskirts of Kuala Lumpur District. I dunno, those that know, not consider it to be 3rd world, though.

as to why? easy peasy - can buy into business partnership there, get visa for me and my wife, live nice life, is multi-lingual, multi-cultural, nice food of many types, also good jazz bars. Much of the lifestyle there is similar to Singapura, but not as expensive.

Is also one of the few SE Asian Counties where I can import used Volvo Station Wagons, ca 1988 to 1995, and not get the sh|t taxed out of me for duties and import fees.

Oh - and the Renault Kangoo - that's the main reason, really (I'm in lust on this vehicle)

---

that was lovely answer Darnell, thank you for responding... sounds like you like it there.

this may help others:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/First_second_third_worlds_map.svg/2000px-First_second_third_worlds_map.svg.png

The term Third World was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the First World - West (NATO) nor with the Second World - East, the Communist bloc.

Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Why would anyone want to move to a third-world country?

There's at least 2 people from this board (including me) that have moved to Vietnam to be with their spouse and to work. Unfortunately my marriage didn't make it, but I have a life now that I never would have thought possible. There are a lot of things I don't like about this place, but overall it beats what I had in America.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

---

Malaysia is an ESL hot spot right now. I've heard it's real nice. Here's an ad I was thinking about applying for, but I've decided to stay put for now. They need 100 teachers, if anyone is interested in teaching English.

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=22012

Why Volvo station wagons? I have an '88 that hasn't moved in 3 years sitting in West Virginia.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The Philippines is unclassified on that site or maybe I didn't scan through the pages any better. :blink: I wonder how reliable that source is.

Anyway, recent articles online seem to be stating implicitly that the US is the newest third world country (not that I believe all of them). I still love it here though.

The issue is that the term "third world country" is misunderstood by most people. It was originally a cold-war term that in modern context doesn't really make sense. The "first world" was the West (the US, Western Europe, and some other capitalist democratic nations like Australia, for instance). The "second world" was the Eastern Bloc (China, the USSR and its allies and satellites). The "third world" was everyone else. Although a lot of these countries were less developed, that was not a requirement.

When people try to tell me that the US, Russia, or China are "third world countries," I mostly just laugh at their ignorance. It contradicts the definition. Undeveloped, maybe. But not "third world." The term "third world countries" needs to die and be replaced by something that actually makes sense like "undeveloped countries" or "developing countries."

Yet another case of, "You keep on using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Edited by SMR

Filed: Timeline

The term Third World was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the First World - West (NATO) nor with the Second World - East, the Communist bloc.

Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania.

I had to google that. I've never heard that term before. :huh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Anyway, recent articles online seem to be stating implicitly BY says that the US is the newest third world country (not that I believe all of them him). I still love it here though.

BY isn't a credible source

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1