hgdfjdfghgfr

need to hammer out some questions I have

13 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am filing the AOS about 5 months after I married my wife, I would've filed sooner but was short on money. Here are some questions I have and would greatly appreciate any help --

1. Do I need a translator to notarize the birth certificate? What is the best way to get this notarized?

2. Does the I-864 need to be notarized?

3. How do I know if my marriage certificate is "certified"?

4. Does the sponsor need a copy of his passport or copy of birth certificate with the I-864?

5. How do we get a civil surgeon to do our I-693?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hello all, I am filing the AOS about 5 months after I married my wife, I would've filed sooner but was short on money. Here are some questions I have and would greatly appreciate any help --

1. Do I need a translator to notarize the birth certificate? What is the best way to get this notarized?

1) you can do that yourself (it's called a "translator declaration", if you have a form I130, it will tell you what you need to write on it under the instructions section(basically you have to say that you are able to speak fluently and enough to translate from xxx language to xxx language, get it notarized if you can and that's it, no need to pay anybody to do that for you.Now, when you translate the document, translate EVERYTHING in it, even the seals.

This is what the I130 says:

"Translations: Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English"

2. Does the I-864 need to be notarized?

2) No, but you will need the complete last year Tax declaration plus W2's plus the previous 2 years tax declarations. I recommend getting a "Tax transcript" from the IRS for the previous 3 years plus the whole last year+W2's, here is a link for it (it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get the copies) you can call 800-829-1040 to get them or: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf

3. How do I know if my marriage certificate is "certified"?

Does it have "stamps", "seals", or anything out of the ordinary on the actual paper (not made with ink)? if you got married in the US, it's the "Marriage Certificate" that was either given to you when you married, mailed or, in some instances, they notify you to pick it up.

4. Does the sponsor need a copy of his passport or copy of birth certificate with the I-864?

here is a link to this question, DOUBLE check the form number since there are 5 types of I 864's http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD'>http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Any question about form documentation and the latest form versions can be found here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD'>http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

5. How do we get a civil surgeon to do our I-693?

Go to "Customer Tools" and you'll see it, call around because price differences between doctors are sometimes ridiculous... any USCIS approved Civil Surgeon in the country works for USCIS...

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Good luck!!

PS: the message reply it's not showing up as it should, read below each of your questions...

Edited by raffy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. Do I need a translator to notarize the birth certificate? What is the best way to get this notarized? No. You're confusing terms. You need someone to translate the birth certificate if it's not in english. The previous poster gave you some info on this

2. Does the I-864 need to be notarized? No

3. How do I know if my marriage certificate is "certified"? It doesn't need to be certified. Certified means it is marked (i.e it has a stamp on it) as "a true and correct copy" of the original. What you need is a regular photocopy of the marriage certificate (the one with seals)

4. Does the sponsor need a copy of his passport or copy of birth certificate with the I-864? The sponsor no because you came in on a K1 and they have all that info (it's in the instructions), any co-sponsors yes because they've never given their info

5. How do we get a civil surgeon to do our I-693? Go here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV to find a CS in your area. They will need to complete Part 1, Part 2 (vaccination chart only) and Part 5.

6. Do we need another medical examination if it hasn't been one year since her overseas examination? From what I read we just need to get the I-693 certified by a civil surgeon by filling out portions of the I-693 and showing the DS-2053 as proof, is this correct? Correct. As long as the medical is less than a year old you only need a "vaccination transcription" which is the I-693 with Part 1, Part 2 (vaccination chart only) and Part 5 completed. You would take the DS-3025 for them to transcribe into the I-693 and then they'll tell you if you're missing any shots

Answers in red above.

As for the previous posters answers, some are incorrect. Namely the I-864 information (Q&A 2). If you submit an IRS Tax transcript you will not need W2's. You also only need to include the previous years tax return/transcript, but you have to have filed all previous tax returns and list the last 3 in the I-864 (you can see where).

Also, re the certified copy of marriage cert, their info is telling you how to locate your original. A certified copy isn't what they're saying, as I said a certified copy actually says "certified true copy of original" or words to that effect (seems to vary state to state).

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi ajcoyote,

Regarding the marriage license, I have learned the hard way that you need copy of the original directly from the place were you got married. If you got married in Brazil request a few copies from the "Cartorio" they may be called "segunda via". It must have their seal or it will not be accepted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Regarding the marriage license, I have learned the hard way that you need copy of the original directly from the place were you got married. If you got married in Brazil request a few copies from the "Cartorio" they may be called "segunda via". It must have their seal or it will not be accepted.

The OP was married in the US, per the K1 requirements.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i also have question about marriage certificate,we married here n US.now we got to papers the other one is marriage liscence tht theres a date when we get our liscence and also written there the date of our wedding and the signiture of the judge and the witnesses and also theres a stamp say file on dec 31,we got liscense dec 28 and married on 29 also we have other paper its say tht a certify of mariage bah blah and date of our marriage . but its made on ink i wonder now if thts a certificate.

i also have question about marriage certificate,we married here n US.now we got to papers the other one is marriage liscence tht theres a date when we get our liscence and also written there the date of our wedding and the signiture of the judge and the witnesses and also theres a stamp say file on dec 31,we got liscense dec 28 and married on 29 also we have other paper its say tht a certify of mariage bah blah and date of our marriage . but its made on ink i wonder now if thts a certificate.

Yes that would be your certified marriage certificate becaused it shows the date of your marriage and that the record was filed with the county marriage records on Dec 31. A photocopy of that is all that has to be mailed in to USCIS for immigration purposes. Every county and state can have different ways to show the "certification. Some have a stamp or a seal or an embosser or signature with name of the county/state.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the helpful responses, and just to clarify; I need a copy of the ORIGINAL and true birth certificate, but just a copy right? When you say a photocopy that would mean in color right? I know its kind of a dumb question I just don't want to miss any small details. The only other thing; Apparently we can translate the Birth Certificates ourselves, but do we still need to get it notarized? If so, do will need to type anything(I.E. a line and print that says "signature of notarizer") for the notarizer to sign it?

Filed: Other Timeline

My original birth certificate is 52-1/2 years old. Yours must be about 25 to 30-something. Do you even have it?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

The only other thing; Apparently we can translate the Birth Certificates ourselves, but do we still need to get it notarized? If so, do will need to type anything(I.E. a line and print that says "signature of notarizer") for the notarizer to sign it?

A translation needs to be certified, not notarized. That means the translator "certifies" they are fluent in both languages and the translation is correct.It doesn't have to be a paid service. If you scroll down on this page http://www.uscis.gov...0000ecd190aRCRD you will find a suggested format for the translator to write and sign.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

** A question posted has been split off into its own thread and can be found in the AOS/Family-Based Discussion (this will aid in getting the best responses).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/278731-aos-medicalpossible-rfe-question/

Edited by Otto

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.