Korgan

How do you undo the K-1?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

If someone came here on a K1 visa, got married and then decided to permanently leave the country (returning to their own country), what would happen? I read about the i-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence) form that one fills out. The filling fee is $545. What if you didn't send this in? Why is there a charge of $545 so that someone else can update their paperwork?

Essentially, what do you do when your marriage didn't work and you have to leave and you have no money?

If they leave the country on their own, the Removal of Conditions wouldn't have anything to do with it. They'd need to either find a way home, or go through their country's embassy to request assitance if it were a case of being destitute and unable to return on their own. Unfortunately, once you're here and not out of status, the USCIS doesn't really care how you get home if you aren't being deported.

What is the current immigration status of the K1'er in question? Did they AOS or are they still on the K1?

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you file AOS after the marriage?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The person can turn in their green card when they leave or in their own country and then that will serve as the end of the process. If they don't and try to visit later on a visa waiver/visa the expired green card may cause issues.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

You have to get a new green card after the first one ( the one you get from AOS ) that is why ROC has a fee, you are applying for a new card that is 10 years with restrictions removed. Its not just someone to renew your file.

Did the person already leave? and plan to come back for the interview? Did they leave without AP documents if they left?

Do they plan to get the green card and then leave and not come back?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yep, they filed the AOS. Their interview and biometrics in Memphis is coming up this month.

If the person leaves the country before the AOS status is complete and were not granted advanced parole (AP), then the petition will be considered abandoned and the process will end.

As for the person who departed, they would not be able to re-enter on the same K1. If they are from a country that does not participate in the US Visa Waiver Program, then they would have to obtain a visitors visa. Whether or not they would be flagged in the system after having abandoned a previous AOS petition, I couldn't say. If they are from a VWP participating country, they would have to apply for and obtain ESTA prior to traveling on the VWP. Again, I cannot answer if they would be flagged in the system for having abandoned a previous AOS petition.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Hey guys,

If someone came here on a K1 visa, got married and then decided to permanently leave the country (returning to their own country), what would happen? I read about the i-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence) form that one fills out. The filling fee is $545. What if you didn't send this in? Why is there a charge of $545 so that someone else can update their paperwork?

Essentially, what do you do when your marriage didn't work and you have to leave and you have no money?

It depends on where you are in the process:

If you have entered on the K-1 but not yet married, then you simply leave.

If you have married but not yet filed for Adjustment of Status, you get a divorce, and then simply leave.

If you have filed for Adjustment of Status, but it has not yet been approved, you get a divorce, write USCIS a letter stating that you are withdrawing your application to adjust status, and then you just leave.

If you have your green card, there is a form you fill out to formally surrender it. You get a divorce, fill that out and leave.

If you don't fill out an I-751, your permanent residence status will expire when your card does. After that and the divorce, you just leave. If you have no intention of staying here after the gc expires, you have no need whatsoever to file the I-751, though you should probably still formally surrender the card. It will make any future visa applications smoother.

The charge for the I-751 is just to pay for it to be adjudicated. USCIS has to pay it's own way with fees - they don't get money from taxes. The reason the I-751 even exists isn'y just "to update their paperwork" - it's to make it so that would-be scammers have to keep their USC mark happy, married and fooled for 2 whole years, before they get a GC that no longer depends on the marriage. A lot of scammers who would stay in a fake marriage for 4-6 months balk at having to stay in for 2 years. It's a protection mechanism for the USC, mostly.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Yep, they filed the AOS. Their interview and biometrics in Memphis is coming up this month.

I would recommend they get an info pass to their local USCIS office to discuss their situation before the biometrics and AOS interview. The foreign citizen is likely out of status so leaving this country could put that person in jeopardy of having overstayed their visa and losing any opportunity to re-enter the United States for 10 years. There is also the need to get either an annulment or a divorce, freeing both people. If the intent is to return to his/her country, then get proper legal advice or some type of authorization from the USCIS to avoid the illegal status aspect and then find the money to close the marriage and send someone back home.

Sorry this happened, but it is better both find this out now. :thumbs:

Timeline

I wouldn't have thought illegal status would be a problem. As I understand it, you stop accumulating out-of-status days when your I-485 NOA1 is issued. From that point on you're fine, I thought.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey guys,

The person really doesn't need to do anything "immigrationwise." The K1 visa expired the moment they entered the US.

From what you tell us the person doesn't have any sort of permanent status in the US. No need to go through the Adjustment of Status if the intention is to not return to the US. All they would need to do is make travel arrangements and return to their home country.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey guys,

Buy a ticket and go home. The status as permanent resident expires. Bye-bye.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.